Enclosed is a step-by-step walk thru to build a 6 foot 4 inch flat cargo area that would facilitate a 2 person sleep area. The rear cargo area (behind the drivers seat) has a length of about 5 foot 4 inches. The desire would be to extend this length by a foot or so to allow 2x standard backpacking mats side-by-side to accommodate a flat sleep area within the RAV4. The goal of the build includes:
1. Design and fabrication of a sturdy, stable platform.
2. Can be build with common materials and tools.
3. The platforms can be stowed (when not in use) within the under-floor hatch, out of sight.
4. Can be set-up without too much hassle or time.
5. As a secondary consideration, is adoptable for the 2011 Toyota Prius also. The RAV4 has about the same cargo length of the Prius. The design will start with the Prius then be adopted to the RAV4.
NOTE: The RAV4 adoption is at the end of the walk thru
The annotation describing each figure will occur at the bottom of the picture.
View of prius cargo area with back seat folded down
5 foot 2 inch (flat distance) distance from rear of cargo to folded back seat rest
1 foot 5 inch excess distance for platform. Just need to consider design options that meet the criteria listed above.
Camping mat at 6 foot long 20 inches wide
another compact inflatable backpacking mat
20 inches wide with added pillow sleeve. add clothing between mat and sleeve to make a pillow
mat in cargo area of prius
overhang needing support, about 1 foot
support platform .5 inch laminate oak from Home depot
Mark a 22 inch x 15 inch section
quick fit, will need to mount here
.125 inch thick by 2 inch wide Aluminum strap, from Home Depot
Mark for trim 4 inch length's 3x total parts
Cut with band saw, fine tooth blade
round sharp corners
use this tool to determine mounting fastener grip length
fasteners from Home Depot
diameter of threaded shank at .1845
Drill slightly larger than fastener shank at .186 inch
set-up for drilling holes