Voice control of iPhone using rav4 bluetooth - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Voice control of iPhone using rav4 bluetooth

Well, I'm a brand new owner of a Rav4 Limited V6 (no nav) and am fiddling with it and readings through the owner's manual.

I like listening to music on my iPhone and pairing it with the car was easy. But I'm having problems with 'hands free' operation. I'm hoping someone here MIT be able to help. My biggest thing is that I operate in a car 'eyes free' (I don't want to take my eyes off then road).

1. I miss my Bluetooth headset because I have one easy to reach button to answer a all. Now I have to reach over to the dashboard and find the 'off hook' button without hanging up on the call (the on hook/off hook buttons are right next to each other, I guess I'll get used to this.

2. The biggest problem how to place a call. I press a button on my headset to put my iPhone in voice control mode. Then I tell it who to call. Works great. Is there ANY way to do this using a car button? Scrolling through a list of phone contacts downloaded to the car is NOT something I'll ever use since it requires I pull off the road and park to use it.

Every Bluetooth headset and wired earbuds I use have a simple switch to trigger voice control on my phone, It never dawned on me to checks this out before buying, even though Bluetooth functionality was a requirement for me.

What fun getting used to a new car. Now if I an find a way to place a call safely, I'll be happy.

Thanks for any help...

Janet
Mostly happy owner of silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 (400 miles)
And
2000 Honda Odyssey (175k miles)

Last edited by Janet; 06-26-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: fixed the typos. That's what I get for typing too much on an iPad when I'm a touch typist (*grin*).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Can't you use voice recognition? Press the call button on the steering wheel and say, for example, "Call home".
#3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,067 Times in 774 Posts
Garage
That's how it works with the BluLogic in my Limited. I press the button, the iPhone beeps, and I say "Call Home" and it says "Calling Home" and the call goes through. To hang up, press the button again. Simple. But if I didn't have a smart phone, I couldn't make outgoing calls using voice recognition.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 02:47 PM

(Thread Starter)
(*sigh*) There's nothing called 'BlueLogic'. The Owners manual doesn't mention voice recog at all for this car.

To dial a phone number, I have to transfer the number into the car memory FIRST, then press a few buttons to say dial the number.

I asked the sales rep, and he says that the "better bluetooth" is only if I got the more expensive package (with nav, touch screen, etc apparently). So much for thinking that paying for the 'Limited' version got me a useful bluetooth capability. Drat. Wish I had known to test THAT before buying the car.

I also tried to plug in an earbud with the remote 'switch' to enable voice recog dialing on my iPhone. It works...The phone then goes into waiting mode waiting for me to say something. BUT the bluetooth on the car interferes and doesn't let the phone hear what I say.

I'm so disappointed. That was one major feature I was looking forward to. I didn't realize I was getting a "half" of a system. Unless I can find a way to make this work, it looks like I'm back to wearing a bluetooth headset in the car whenever I think I may have to make a call.

Janet with a 1 day old 2012 Rav4 Limited V6... with half a useful bluetooth system.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:54 PM

(Thread Starter)
Ok, my hissy fit is over (*sigh*). I've now learned how to make a voice call using my iphone and my RAV4. My mistake was trying to do it via the CAR controls. To answer an incoming call, I use the 'off hook' button in my car. And I like it being a real button because I can easily learn where it is so I don't take my eyes off the road.

Now for my problem: to MAKE a call. To do this, I just have to press and hold the 'home' button on my iPhone 4 until I hear the beeps indicating that it's in 'voice control'. The beeps come from the car speakers via the bluetooth connection. At this point, I can say 'call mom'... that gets directed back to the phone and the phone calls it.

I LOVE it. I really don't want to talk to my car when talking to my phone works fine and multiple systems tend to each work a bit differently. This works GREAT. And pressing that button is simple since the little cubby on the center console holds my iPhone so conveniently.

So as a closing comment, YAYYYY for my RAV4, and thanks to all of you in this forum -- having to put up with 'new user learning curve'.

Janet - a MUCH happier new RAV4 owner.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 12:49 AM

This is a great thread! I've had my 2012 Sport Limited for two days now and the bluetooth is extremely badly documented.

Questions if anybody can answer them (hey, maybe we can do a "Missing Manual" thread about operating the bluetooth.):

-- I have an iPhone. Wife has a Droid. I have both of them paired. Do they connect automatically when I or wife gets into the car? What happens if we're both in the car?
-- The RAV4 insists on playing music from my iPhone when I get into the car. i want to control that and use the usb connection which provides FAR greater sound quality. So how do I stop the bluetooth?
-- When I ask bluetooth radio for "call history" or "incoming calls" I get a bunch of meaningless numbers, not what my cell phone has (contact name, time of call, etc.). What's up with that?

If you folks can help that will make things better and then I can go on to the varsity-squad questions such as voice recognition.

Shame on Toyota for lousy documentation! They're are better than this.

/john
#7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 AM

(Thread Starter)
Pairing and Bluetooth

I only have one iPhone paired, and it cinnects automatically whenever I get in the car. And when i start the car, the radio starts 'doing' whatever it was doing when I turned off the car. So ie gotten used to my audiobook starting up automatically.

Haven't tested which takes priority... Something playing via Bluetooth and something playing via the audio jack and something playing via the USB cable, guess I'll have to borrow my husbands iPod to do this.

Re the car phone controls, and call history. It appears that the call stuff with this car is simply rudimentary. It simply behaves like a Bluetooth headset letting you answer and make calls and adjust the volume. It does not give you a 'remote phone' to control things like call waiting and call history handling as far as I can tell.

Syncingwith two phones would be interesting. I would imagine that if both of you got in the car, it would pair with the first one it found. Let us know what really happens here, ok?
#8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomensch View Post
This is a great thread! I've had my 2012 Sport Limited for two days now and the bluetooth is extremely badly documented.

Questions if anybody can answer them (hey, maybe we can do a "Missing Manual" thread about operating the bluetooth.):

-- I have an iPhone. Wife has a Droid. I have both of them paired. Do they connect automatically when I or wife gets into the car? What happens if we're both in the car?
-- The RAV4 insists on playing music from my iPhone when I get into the car. i want to control that and use the usb connection which provides FAR greater sound quality. So how do I stop the bluetooth?
-- When I ask bluetooth radio for "call history" or "incoming calls" I get a bunch of meaningless numbers, not what my cell phone has (contact name, time of call, etc.). What's up with that?

If you folks can help that will make things better and then I can go on to the varsity-squad questions such as voice recognition.

Shame on Toyota for lousy documentation! They're are better than this.

/john
I started another thread about not having voice commands in a 2012 Sport and was tring to get answers as to how to get a fix for this. I live in Onario and we have a hands free law. As it is now, I have to push five buttons on the radio to make a call. Hardly hands free. Very frustrated with Toyota for this.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:08 PM

(Thread Starter)
How to make a call

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb145 View Post
I started another thread about not having voice commands in a 2012 Sport and was tring to get answers as to how to get a fix for this. I live in Onario and we have a hands free law. As it is now, I have to push five buttons on the radio to make a call. Hardly hands free. Very frustrated with Toyota for this.
I found out how to do this with one button and no need to look at it. To make a call, I push the home button on my iPhone which puts the phone into voice command mode. Then I put the phone in its cubby and tell the car who I want to call. This uses the phone voice command, NOT the car, but uses the car Bluetooth, it works quite well and I can easily grab my iPhone from where I keep it and hit that one button.

Good luck,
Janet
#10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I found out how to do this with one button and no need to look at it. To make a call, I push the home button on my iPhone which puts the phone into voice command mode. Then I put the phone in its cubby and tell the car who I want to call. This uses the phone voice command, NOT the car, but uses the car Bluetooth, it works quite well and I can easily grab my iPhone from where I keep it and hit that one button.

Good luck,
Janet
Thank you for the info. I will try it and hopefully it works. Otherwise, we love the Rav. Traded in a 2011 for the Sport. It is my wife's and she commutes 1 hr. to work every night, so it is good for her, snow, et.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page