Help with amplifier install questions. - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help with amplifier install questions.

I've been following many of the radio replacement threads on this forum and I decided that rather then replace my head unit, I will add a 4 channel amp with high level inputs to power my four new door speakers I recently installed. See photos here.

Here's why:

After replacing the stock front speakers with a set of Focal 165A1's the sound is now incredible, but only now limited by the stock headunit amp, which sounds great at normal levels, but doesn't have the muscle to handle loud peaks in the music or louder volumes, plus, it can be dangerous to the health of the new speakers if it's driven into clipping situations.

I would have to spend at least $200 to get a head unit that has blue-tooth and XM ability then another $60 for a steering wheel button interface, then, depending on the model, another $50 for the satellite package, etc., so I'm probably looking at around $250 to $300

In this price range all of these only put out about 20 watts RMS/4 ohms per channel

I'm limited in my choices to only a few makes like the JVC that allow the ability to match the color look of the stock lighting.. I really don't want bright blue or red colors glaring out at me or something that looks like a space ship consul.

There only seem to be a few models now that still have a simple control layouts with actual buttons to choose and set stations. You've got to hand it to Toyota, their radio controls using simple, big buttons are really easy and user friendly and it's an attractive unit, blends into the style of the car. Many after market units now require a series of button pushes to get to the station presets and then you have to toggle through them, you can't get from preset 1 to preset 5, etc., like you can with real buttons.

Every install I have seen here, uses an install kit (Cruchfield's American, Scosche, etc.) that doesn't match the color and texture of the stock dash very well and leaves big gaps between the panel and the stock dash. They all look cheap and flimsy to me and are free or cost up to $30. The best looking one I have seen is the OEM one, but then you're out another $80 or so.

I want to keep the use of my AUX input on the dash (you loose it with all the units I've seen). I want to keep the use of my convenient existing Bluetooth buttons and already installed mike set up. I want to keep my existing antenna setup and I think with a new head unit it would have to be replaced, or I would need to buy some other adapter?

The alternative:

I can buy any number of good quality, 40-50 watts 4 channel amps with line level inputs for only about $150

The questions for those of you who have had the dash open and maybe dealt with an amp install is this:
  • Is there room to put the amp under the dash behind the existing head unit, or will it have to be wired to a location, like under the drivers seat, etc.?
  • Are there any pre made connectors that split off the speaker outputs so I don't have to cut and solder everything and figure out which wires are which?
  • What is the best way to get power to the amp and where is a good ground located?
Thanks for your help

Incidentally, doing searches, a lot of the links to similar subjects don't seem to work on this forum.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free

Last edited by JuneBug; 09-11-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Anyone there?

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 AM

I installed my amp under the passenger seat. I ran the power from the battery through the firewall grommet located up behind the glove box. Used the seat riser for a grounding point. Scrape of an area of paint about the size if a quarter until the area is nice and shiny and attach your ground. Probably not enough room behind the dash for most amps. May be able to get a small motorcycle amp in there. I just used taps to tie into the speaker leads coming from the back of the deck and ran those to my DSP.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, Richericks: Did you run the wires down the side kick panel and inside running boards or under the mats or through the center council some how to get to the amp under the seat?

#5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 10:31 PM

as for placement- the plastic tray under the floor is ideal- yes a bit more wire but its perfect. I drilled the clutch peddle hole and ran wire through grommets- 2 4 gauges... I ran those down the driver side... they fit along with the stock wiring.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
I took a better look yesterday. I opened the glove box and dropped it down so I could take a look see into the dash and I discovered it looks like there is enough room right below the radio and sitting on top of the cubbyhole under the three climate control switches to put an amp there.

Has anyone tried that or noticed the space available with the OEM headunit removed? If I could put it there it would probably be a lot easier to install then trying to get it under the seat or in other locations.

#7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 PM

I will have the dash apart this week... I can snap a pic if I remember.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Turbo5upra: Thanks.. I know you have a lot of good ideas about this, so also just visually see what kind of space is available and whether you think an amp could be mounted there. I really appreciate it.

#9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 10:11 PM

Looks like a small class d would work.. Pics after I return home.... First time for the complete system being judged tomorrow!
#10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 AM

@doane2u
There is a good amount of space behind the radio or just below it to fit all sorts of goodies in there. If you buy an in-line 40Watt RMS amp that takes the speaker level output form the stock radio, you should be able to fit in there. The area behind the glove box is also a good alternative, but the glovebox may touch it when in the open position - but maybe not?

In any case, the area under the radio, in the dash would be my first choice if I were doing what you are considering.

In the end, I opted to put a class D 4channel amp in the plastic tray behind the rear seats. I'll be posting pics of my install soon. Oh, if you decide to get anything larger than 5" X 7" X 2" you may be in trouble for the area in the dash. I think someone was able to put a GEX-920XM pioneer XM reciever in that same area. So look at the dimensions for that for an estimate of how much room is under the radio. Also, you will most likely have to remove the radio and the AC/Vent control piece in order to get enough room to work with. Good luck finding places to use tie wraps for anchoring it to stuff. I dont recall there being much in the way of that. I just stuffed wires in there, so need to anchor an actual component.

If you do get manage to fit something in there, please take pics and let us know how it went.

Good luck!

2012 I4 4X4 Rav4 Limited
Mud guards
3M PPF Full front package and Rear Bumper
Pionner Avic Z140BH
XM Radio
Subwoofer

-----
2004 Honda Accord EX-L I4
2009 Yamaha FZ600R
2009 Yamaha FJR1300ABS
The Following User Says Thank You to radrgn For This Useful Post: