Aftermarket GPS/Stereo Units - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

What did you decide on?

I'm considering a AVH-X3500BHS from Pioneer. (Amazon link). This is a double DIN model but it does XM while most OE sized units do not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM

Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, to share about any model out there? I'm just starting my search and I would love to hear some advice. Here's what I'm most looking for:

1. Good Bluetooth connectivity (and sound quality) for hands-free calling on Iphone and streaming Pandora
2. DVD player that can have emergency brake stipulation bypassed
3. Premium sound quality
4. Compatibility with my steering wheel controls
5. Clear FM Tuning
6. Built-in GPS (but not necessary)

I'm mostly interested in the sound/video quality over GPS. I don't want to spend more on a unit that's higher priced based on its GPS capabilities when I don't need it very often. Would still be nice to have though!

I currently have the 6 disc in dash changer in my 06 RAV4 Limited. Would like to stay around $400. (Possibly go with the one from OemCarGps.com?) Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!
#23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Veliksam
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisclouse2011 View Post
Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, to share about any model out there? I'm just starting my search and I would love to hear some advice. Here's what I'm most looking for:

1. Good Bluetooth connectivity (and sound quality) for hands-free calling on Iphone and streaming Pandora
3. Premium sound quality
5. Clear FM Tuning

I'm mostly interested in the sound/video quality over GPS. I don't want to spend more on a unit that's higher priced based on its GPS capabilities when I don't need it very often. Would still be nice to have though!

I currently have the 6 disc in dash changer in my 06 RAV4 Limited. Would like to stay around $400. (Possibly go with the one from OemCarGps.com?) Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!
I have a friend of mine that has a JVC Kw-nt3hdt, it has all the features you need plus a lot more, he sold his car and doesn't need it anymore because his new car has a nice oem system. I have owned this particular model and I highly recommend it. He's asking $450 for it.

Sent from my HTC ONE X

-----2012 V6 Sport, Tow Prep, & 4x4-----
HU: JVC KW-NT800HDT & back-up cam,
JDM HID Projector Headlights w/Toshiba D4S Bulbs, JDM Vanguard Tail Lights
Front DRL's, LED Bumper Park/Brake lights,
Laser Interceptor Quad & Passport 9500ix
Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
#24 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 AM

I'm currently looking at an OEM style unit but if that falls through I'll let you know. Seems like a pretty decent deal.
#25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:

3. Premium sound quality
5. Clear FM Tuning

I don't think you will get a unit with the features you want for only $400. I wouldn't trust anything that inexpensive to be reliable or meet your expectations.

If you're willing to spend a little more than double, look at the Kenwood DNX6990HD. This unit meets all your needs and more. It's Kenwood's Excelon line so it is high end and thus a high end price. It does come with a 2 year warranty which is really rare for any electronic devices these days. Crutchfield currently sells it for $900 which includes the wiring harnesses and mounting kit specific to a RAV4. These really make the installation easy. You'll also need to buy the Metra ASWC harness for $70 to retain the steering wheel controls. I purchased mine a few weeks before Christmas and ABT Electronics was selling the Kenwood at the same time for $750 (no wiring harnesses or mounting kit included). I spent the extra money and went with Crutchfield because they provided all the extras I needed to get the installation done myself and they have great service after the sale. I called them multiple times as I did the installation and they were able to answer all my questions and walk me through things. This was the first car installation I did so having the after sale service was more important than saving the $150.

I expanded my installation as I went and included a USB hub from Amazon so I could have a USB port mounted in the dash to make map/firmware updates and charge USB devices while also using the Kenwood iPod cable. I mounted the hub under the dash and installed the USB port in one of the dummy plates next to the 12 volt outlet under the radio. Looks like it came from the factory.

The 2013 models should be coming out in a few months so if you keep an eye out I'm sure you will see the DNX6990 come down in price.

Here's my system and what I paid:

1. Kenwood DNX6990HD - $900
2. Metra ASWC steering wheel control - $70
3. Sirius XM SXV200V1 tuner - $70 (only $20 after you get a $50 rebate from Sirius)
4. SFA12F XM adapter cable - $60 on eBay. This cable plugs into your factory XM antenna so you don't need to put the XM antenna that comes with the tuner on the roof.
5. Kenwood KCA-iP202 iPod cable - $30
6. PAC USB extension cable - $20
7. Amazon Basics 4 port USB hub - $9

Total spent: $1,109. A lot of money, but much better than the factory units. I'm really impressed with how the unit works. The GPS is made by Garmin so it looks and works just like a portable Garmin unit. I'll probably add a backup camera in the future. I ran the wires for the camera from the Kenwood to the bottom of my dash so I can easily access them whenever I decide to add a camera.
#26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 AM

Alexisclouse:

Not to try to counter txpackers, but the Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS does what you want without the GPS. The GPS/Navi is an add-on. There is also app mode for your iPhone which will let you run certain apps from your phone that appear on the HU. It gets four stars on Amazon.

I spent $510 plus some more for XM. I wasn't happy with the quality of components or instructions Crutchfield provided so if I did it again I would purchase from Amazon and pay the same for a nicer mount, etc. A parking brake bypass is available on Amazon for this unit.

It doesn't have a physical volume knob like on the Kenwood and I think there is a lot to say for turning down the volume that way, but it does have volume up, down and mute buttons on the driver's side of the display. So if I need to hear something I tap the mute. I've also mapped the volume controls to my steering wheel controls.

I wrote a brief summary here: AVH-X3500BHS install
#27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM

txpackers: wow that's pretty pricey! I went with a Henhao. I found a whole thread on here specifically for them, and you just can't beat the price. I got my unit for $310 straight from the manufacturer, then bought a wiring harness to make use of my JBL system on Amazon for $50, and a rearview camera that got good reviews for only $20. Out the door for under $400 so I'm happy. I don't have any more money than that to blow so I don't need it to be perfect. I'll settle for a few minor imperfections if it means saving several hundred dollars. Actually, mostly everyone with Henhao is pretty satisfied! You can't beat their customer service either, Richard (the GM) has been great to work with. I'm sure yours is better quality, but I was searching for the best value.

Vanstrien: thanks for your reply! I was actually looking at that one and almost got it before deciding on the Henhao.

Hopefully mine works out!! I have high hopes
#28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
txpackers: wow that's pretty pricey! I went with a Henhao. I found a whole thread on here specifically for them, and you just can't beat the price. I got my unit for $310 straight from the manufacturer, then bought a wiring harness to make use of my JBL system on Amazon for $50, and a rearview camera that got good reviews for only $20. Out the door for under $400 so I'm happy. I don't have any more money than that to blow so I don't need it to be perfect. I'll settle for a few minor imperfections if it means saving several hundred dollars. Actually, mostly everyone with Henhao is pretty satisfied! You can't beat their customer service either, Richard (the GM) has been great to work with. I'm sure yours is better quality, but I was searching for the best value.

Vanstrien: thanks for your reply! I was actually looking at that one and almost got it before deciding on the Henhao.

Hopefully mine works out!! I have high hopes
I hope it works out for you too Alexis. Based on comments from others on here it seems like it is a good unit and should work great for you. For me I wanted to go with a name brand unit that I could trust to support the radio for years to come whether for updates or warranty work. I had great luck with a previous Kenwood unit so I knew that was the brand I wanted to go with; kind of like how all I buy now are Toyotas . I'm at the point in my life where I can afford to pay a little more to get what I really want. Several years ago I definitely would not have paid this much for a stereo. Heck, back then I couldn't even afford a RAV4.

Let us know how the installation turns out.
#29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 AM

Good for you txpackers! That's great that you're at such a good point in your life. My husband and I have a 3 month old daughter and a 5 year old son to care for. I suppose if I wanted to, I could have afforded to drop over a grand on a name brand system but I guess I have different priorities. To each his own!

I'll most likely post pics of my install on the Henhao thread. Thanks for your input everyone!
#30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 AM

Aftermarket GPS/Stereo Units

Hi folks,

I am thinking of adding a double din dash adapter and a sony xav-601bt head unit would it be compatible with a 2007 Rav 4 base model.
Photos of my current OME unit which is very basic and link and photo of possible upgrade.

XAV-601BT | In-car Multimedia | Features | XAV601BT.EUR | XAV601BT | Sony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Current Headunit.jpg (50.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpeg Sony XVA-601BT.jpeg (84.8 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page