Aftermarket GPS/Stereo Units - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Aftermarket GPS/Stereo Units

I have spent countless hours reading posts on this forum including some really good and detailed reviews and practical advice> While I am thankful for the existing posts, I still do not know, if I should go with, say, a non-RAV4 specific Pioneer system , or a Chinese system specifically shaped to fill the gap after the OEM stereo system, and, if the latter, which model to choose. I thought, I was likely not alone in my confusion, and perhaps it would be a good idea to create a separate thread where users could post quick reviews of their aftermarket installs. Unfortunately, the info provided on eBay by Chinese sellers is extremely limited. There is also a significant language problem.

If you have installed an aftermarket GPS/stereo system please share your experience:
- Brand, model, price, etc.
- A link and/or picture(s)
- Operating system
- Installation experience
- Speed of the user interface and GPS
- Bluetooth (phone) operation, voice quality, integration
- Bluetooth - simultaneous operation with GPS
- Pros, cons, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 PM

(Thread Starter)
I will give you a quick summary of my research on the subject of simultaneous operation of the GPS and bluetooth phone. It happens to be a deciding factor for my wife This subject also popped as a major issue in one of the existing threads on this forum.

I have contacted a number of eBay sellers with a question (more or less) like the following: following question: "Is it possible to talk on the bluetooth phone AND at the same time have the GPS working and showing directions on the screen?"

Some of the answers below. Most of them were like #3, i.e. negative...

(1) Yes, it could be use at the same time for the phone and the GPS. Link

(2) They will both work simultaneously, but the turn by turn voice commands will be muted. You will not hear the navigation instructions, but it will still show on the screen. (Kenwood) Link

(3) In navigation,if have voice direction, the radio/music or bluetooth will pause. Link

(4) "Yes you can do that. use bluetooth phone and navigation display on the creen the same time" Link

(5) ==> yes.Link

(6) I think this one is a Yes... yes.just you buletooth contact to you phone.when you use GPS have call phone.you can together use gps and BT. Link
#3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 PM

(Thread Starter)
My system specs

I am really not looking for anything exotic... I would say, fro most users on this forum, this would be probably a minimum performance spec:

(1) Win CE 6.0 or Android 2.3 (or whatever for Kenwood, JVC, etc.)
(2) Reasonably fast processor and enough memory to ensure resonably good UI / "data entry' experience (a JVC unit I once tried was horrible in this respect)
(3) Ability to receive phone calls and see (muted) GPS screen at the same time
(4) Stereo/FM quality at least slightly better than the original (and horrible in my case unit
(5) FM antenna sensitivity / FM station reception not worse than with the original unit (there has been some discussion on the subject of not being able to compensate for the OEM stereo system which provides antenna signal amplification)
(6) backup camera input
(7) Ease of installation
(8) No weird / annoying behaviour of any kind
(9) Cost at or below $600 shipped

Do you have anything that fits the above description?
#4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:32 PM

After reading all of the info and just searching the ebay and other listings I drew the conclusion that I didn't want to risk the investment on something that is not a known name brand and have to deal with support half a world away. I do not need a nav system since that is already on my phone anyway. I went with the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH for the 2012. I'm trying to keep everything functioning including the center aux/usb input. I haven't installed it yet but it'll go in soon. I'll post my success/failures when I get it done.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

I feel much the same way, don't want to risk ordering from China, even though it's so much cheaper, and not a complete understanding of all the differences between them. I do know I like the look of the ones specifically built for the RAV4 and I don't like the looks of the aftermarket panels that don't match the color of the rest of the dash, leave crude looking gaps because they don't fit well, and hold din units that don't blend into the design of the RAV4 dash.
I did find one unit that I though looked pretty good, the Advent unit (click here), but it's pretty expensive, see here, and here
Here's a good video on it.

I would like to find a unit that:

1. Looks like a built in unit.. like the Advent and others.
  2. Has a good GPS screen with up dateable GPS good quality maps that is quick to load and has clear audio directions.
  3. Has a USB input in the back that will handle the input from a i-phone for playing music, and maybe for GPS? In which case, forget about #2 above... I'm still not clear about how this all works... is that an Android feature?
  4. Has a good FM tuner with good sensitivity, HD would be nice too
  5. Has XM ability and will hook up to my existing OEM XM antenna on the back roof.
  6. Will accept video input from my OEM rear camera which currently goes to the rear view mirror.
  7. Will easily plug in and handle my steering wheel controls with out having to fork over another $60-70 for a converter for it to work.
  8. Has decent, clean audio output, about 15+ watts RMS and can handle 2-4 ohm loads.. will probably get an amplifier down the line anyway.
  9. I would have put Hands free Bluetooth up at position #2 but I have the hands free OEM BlueLogic system that works great and is independent of the head unit, so I'm fine using it. It only interrupts the head unit audio when in use.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 11:17 PM

(Thread Starter)
Hmmm... This unit (Advent OTORAV1) looks quite interesting, although specs on their site are quite vague... How much is it actually?
#7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

See above, again,
see here, and here

Looks like it's way over priced, but I keep thinking that other units are going to come out that will do all this and for a lot less and be available in the USA

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM

(Thread Starter)
Oops.. I missed the link indeed.. That is definitely not cheap...

Any first-hand experience with the Metra unit? It is being sold at the Future Shop in Canada for $1,099 but I found it on the internet for quite a bit less.

Metra MDF-8217-1 In-Dash 7" Touchscreen MP3 Car Stereo Receiver
#9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Banned

That is nice but wow overpriced.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

The Meta looks really good. The regular price is $900 at Sonic and they have it on sale for $600 Of course, you still have to buy the $80 (on sale for $55) Axxess ASWC unit in order to have your steering wheel controls work, I'm surprised they don't have that already built in.

Hands free Bluetooth, SD card input, Aux input, USB inputs, camera input, etc., etc.,

No XM satellite radio, but with the USB ipod capability I guess you could get Pandora and other internet radio which I actually like better anyway.

Small complaint, knob illumination is white which doesn't match the RAV4's orange color.

Anyone notice any other disadvantages/advantages of this unit?

Has a three year warranty and is in the states, that means no worry about spending half the cost of the unit to return it to China.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page