Detailed Rearview Camera Install Instructions - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Detailed Rearview Camera Install Instructions

Would anyone care to provide a plain English description of how to do it? I have seen bits and pieces throughout various threads but not a complete set of instructions. Things like:
- suggested wire routing throughout the vehicle
- what needs to be connected at the HU
- what needs to be connected at the camera
- which panels need to be removed and how
- what kind of wires are required (just the video cable that came with the camera or do you run another wire from the HU to the back?)
- how to connect a typical ebay unit (lead connection colors, etc.)
Not asking for full technical manual with pictures. Just a general overview of how it is done and perhaps a few hints on important details.. Even partials would be appreciated...

I ordered a camera and it came with no instructions. It includes a long RCA video line and a shorter connector, I am guessing to get power from the light assembly. It has a red and a black wire. Probably typical...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
post a picture of your camera and the wires/harness provided. Which unit were you thinking to get?

You would need to run the RCA cable to the Head Unit. You will have to get power for the camera from the reverse light.
Least painful thing to do is to remove the rear fender panel. I wasted a lot of time trying connect the wires without taking off the panels.
you will find the bezel around the seat lever is hard to get out; pull it out hard; it will not break.
Rear fender cover panel - how hard to remove?

As for the power, figure out which is the backup light bulb. The black/white wire is GROUND and black only is 12V.

Depending on your harness and unit, you might have one or two more wires to connect.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
The Following User Says Thank You to vanib For This Useful Post:
007wilk (11-10-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 AM

(Thread Starter)
I have this one:

#4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Using existing mirror screen with HU screen

Has anyone tried to tie into an existing OEM rear view mirror camera setup so that you maintain that one while adding a backup view with a newly installed HU that has a screen and camera input?

If I get a HU that supports a camera input, I would like to hook it up to my existing camera setup and still maintain the rear view mirror view as well. It seem like one could splice into the cable going to the rear view mirror screen and hook it up to the HU?

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
Has anyone tried to tie into an existing OEM rear view mirror camera setup so that you maintain that one while adding a backup view with a newly installed HU that has a screen and camera input?

If I get a HU that supports a camera input, I would like to hook it up to my existing camera setup and still maintain the rear view mirror view as well. It seem like one could splice into the cable going to the rear view mirror screen and hook it up to the HU?

Take a look at this thread. It may provide the information you seek.

Connect factory backup camera to aftermarket head unit
The Following User Says Thank You to richericks For This Useful Post:
doane2u (11-10-2012)
#6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 01:40 PM

(Thread Starter)
Fo the setup in my picture - is it as easy as :

(1) Laying the long RCA cable from the headunit to the reverse light area in the back door
(2) Hookig up the red lead of the smaller camera connector to the (+) wire of the reverse light
(3) Hooking up the black lead of the smaller camera connector to a ground (what is best to use for ground ?)
(4) Carefully inserting the license plate bulb into the camera enlosure?

Or, do I also have to run a separate "trigger" wire of same sort to the HU? I simply don't know what tells the HU to show the camera image on the screen. Is it just the video signal suddenly appearing in the RCA cable or is there a separate "trigger" line, which becomes energized when the reverse light is on? I do not have the HU yet, it may become obvious when I get it...

PS. Sorry guys for asking these questions. I know this subject has been covered already and there are answeres out there (I have even reqad them.. bu where? . So... these answers are "all over the place" and I have spent a fair amount of time this morning without much success...
#7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007wilk View Post
(3) Hooking up the black lead of the smaller camera connector to a ground (what is best to use for ground ?)....
There at least 2 grounding bolts on the rear door. The bolts are usually marked E also. Just loosen the bolt, add your ground wire and tighten.

#8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 PM

I finally got around to hooking up power to my previously installed camera. I tapped into the passenger side reverse light to power the camera and used this picture as a guide:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/memb...wer-lines.html

Now the problem I am having is this. If I hook up the black wire (+12V), the camera displays a proper image but if I also hook up the ground, it significantly dims the picture. I've only tested this at night so not sure what the daytime affect would be. I left it for now with only the +12V connection and taped up ground. Will it harm anything if I leave it like this?
#9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Test during the day too or well light area at night.
My LCD has 5 levels of brightness. Some levels are better suited than others depending on level of outside light.

There should already be a ground then, otherwise the camera would not work.

Sorry the attached picture means nothing to me as it is blurred and I don't know which wire goes where. My camera and wires are different than yours.

The Following User Says Thank You to vanib For This Useful Post:
glaucos (12-28-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 PM

Today I had a look at the picture from the rear view camera during daylight and it looks fine (great actually, very clear). The ground connection is still disconnected so I will leave it as is. The only ground explanation is that it must be getting ground from the RCA video wire which I'm not sure if it's possible.

The blurry picture in the link just shows the tapping into the 2 wires on the reverse light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page