Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

How To Make the Cigarette Lighter Socket Power Stay On

19K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JuneBug 
#1 ·
Hi, with a quick search I couldn't find any posts on how to make the cigarette lighter socket power stay on when the car is off so I figured I'd share. Note that this is just for educational reasons and I take no responsibility if your car catches fire or blows up because your cell phone battery or other accessory caught fire (which has happened).
This is super easy to do with just a piece of 16 gauge wire (sockets are rated at 15A) and a couple of 1/4" spade crimp connectors as you see. You just need to yank the second relay up from the bottom behind the left driver's side cowl panel, and replace with a jumper as shown - no cutting involved and fully reversible. The wiring for front and rear sockets is joined together, so if you just want one to stay on, you'll have to splice in +12v to the all white wire for the appropriate socket.​

See less See more
#3 ·
Ah ha. I figured it would have to have been posted somewhere by now. I tried a bunch of different search terms in Google and in Rav4World and they turned up zilch so I looked it how to do it in the electrical manual. Maybe if I had used the "hot" keyword.

BTW have you seen a full description of a security system install w/ remote start and transponder bypass anywhere? I did one back in February and took a whole bunch of pics and was thinking about doing a write-up.

#4 ·
BTW have you seen a full description of a security system install w/ remote start and transponder bypass anywhere? I did one back in February and took a whole bunch of pics and was thinking about doing a write-up.
If you could do this it would be a great addition to the forum. We don't have anything like that as far as I know. Thanks!

#8 ·
Hi, with a quick search I couldn't find any posts on how to make the cigarette lighter socket power stay on when the car is off so I figured I'd share. Note that this is just for educational reasons and I take no responsibility if your car catches fire or blows up because your cell phone battery or other accessory caught fire (which has happened).
This is super easy to do with just a piece of 16 gauge wire (sockets are rated at 15A) and a couple of 1/4" spade crimp connectors as you see. You just need to yank the second relay up from the bottom behind the left driver's side cowl panel, and replace with a jumper as shown - no cutting involved and fully reversible. The wiring for front and rear sockets is joined together, so if you just want one to stay on, you'll have to splice in +12v to the all white wire for the appropriate socket.

What year is your RAV4? Would this work on a 2004?

#9 ·
This sub-forum is for 3rd generation (2006-2012), so it would be a little different for a 2nd generation 2004.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.