Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Myron & Davis OEM-style DVD/GPS

41K views 112 replies 22 participants last post by  srockrav4 
#1 · (Edited)
At last I got mine Myron & Davis OEM-style DVD/GPS installed today.

All features seem to be working as advertized and over all I am please with the unit. However, there is one issue that I am dealing with it right now. Backlight for all function keys do not get illuminate when I turn the head lights on. They do briefly come on when I 1st start the unit, but goes off few seconds later and stay off even if I turn on my head lights.

I asked the installer and he replied the unit install should be plug_and_play and he is not sure why it is not working and why he needs to make changes to harness to make it work. Does anyone have any idea how to trouble shot and fix this? I called Myron&Davis tech support, they told me that I might need to jump or by pass some wires from the harness to troubleshoot this. :wall

Does anyone had that issue and/or know the fix, if so, please share it. Thanks in advance.

#53 ·
dashtwo- The GPS is quite different, still not sure if it has lat/long capability. Also, the pioneer was much better for sound quality. I was interested in the Pioneer AVIC Z130bt before deciding on the Myron & Davis. I'm not an Android user and I was picking up bad reviews on the Z140bh(replaced the Z130bt) -but have no first hand experience with either. I'll report back to you in a couple of days with any conclusions.

#57 ·
I just purchased and received one those Myron & Davis in dash radio. Getting ready to install it was curious where does one mount the GPS antenna? How do you find the brake and backup cable to wire to the radio in order to use these features?

Lastly, I've a 2010 Rav4 Sports, currently the camera is wired to the rearview camera, how do you rewire to the radio? Thank you in advanced.

#62 ·
Ok, what the heck am I doing wrong, I can't get the unit to insert a disc properly (cd or dvd). I press the DVD/USB button, wait for it to indicate "Open" and insert the disc, but it seems like the disc is getting wedged. Then I have to press CDC and it automatically ejects the disc.

#63 ·
Some of these units have a screw that locks down the disc mechanism for shipping. The screw needs to be removed before installation. Usually they are well marked with a red label or something similar.

#66 ·
Try a high speed Class 4 SD card. It can really make a difference.

#69 ·
How to get the Navi GPS to keep the correct time? It seems like no matter how much I set it and apply, it doesn't keep it after a shutdown (turn car off).

Where is the best place to tap into the brake light wire to activate the DVD player when not in motion. I thought I was smarter by not connecting the wire, but it appears the DVD won't at all without this wires connected.

Thank you in advanced.

#79 ·
I agree with your cons, I recently purchased this head unit, I have to say its looks great on the dash and the features sounds good (as advertised), but there are wild variety of issues with the unit software. It constantly skip on songs despite trying several SD card types, GPS isn’t that great. Nonetheless, because of the custom fit, I couldn't see me purchasing any other unit for my Rav4. Thank you.

#86 ·
I see that at least a couple of you have ran the GPS up to the rearview mirror. Has anyone tried mounting it at the little hub directly on the dash in front of the driver? Does anyone know what that is for otherwise?

I am also reading that the GPS is not great from a couple of you. Any good stories out there?

#87 ·
You could but it you in your line of sight. Also, you would have to think about routing the cable. BTW, the GPS antenna behind the rearview mirror was my idea. Took me at least 30 min to come up with this solution; I had almost given up :)

If it is running WIN CE 5 or 6, I don't see why you could not use IGO 8 or 9. This is what I have on my Chinese Henhao unit running Win CE 6. Igo 8 is bug free and came with the unit but has no TTS support. So I went with IGO 9 (with the help of a member on the forum). It has TTS but a few very minor bugs.

#89 ·
I have the GPS antenna on the passenger side in the corner, works great. I have really mixed feelings on this unit BTW. The GPS works great, but everything else is very buggy and I can't imagine anyone paying $2K for this thing.

Every time I start the unit, within 2 minutes it completely drops any audio for about 2 seconds and then goes right back to normal.

SD playback is a joke. The GUI for SD playback looks like a Windows CE screen and requires the stylus to scroll up and down...um kinda dangerous when driving.

There are no controls for Random -> Repeat -> etc in the SD menu.

SD songs just randomly get choppy/skip and you have to skip to the next song.

SD playback doesn't remember where you are in the song, so when you turn the unit back on, it just starts the same song over again.

If turned off on an FM station, when I turn the unit on, half the time the station is off by a decimal. So if I turn the car off on 96.1 when I turn it back on, it's 96.3 and all static. Not sure why it does this.

When my iPhone is connected to BlueTooth it completely disables any sound from the phone. The phone sounds will play over the speakers but only when you're actually in the BlueTooth music mode.

I haven't tested this much but the one phone call I did get over BlueTooth, the person on the other line couldn't hear me, I hit the switch button on the screen and it did nothing. Had to end my call, turn off BlueTooth and call the person back. Very disappointing since this was a major reason I got this unit over the Chinese models...being able to talk and not have the bluetooth screen up all the time.

Over all very disappointed. Not sure any of the chinese units would be better or not based on the other threads/reviews. Maybe need to just get a Double DIN Pioneer or Kenwood and deal with not having matching buttons, etc.

#96 ·
I have a conversion harness that I can sell you for $20 shipped ... let me know ... otherwise you will need to purchase the following from Toyota ... and it will cost you over $50 in parts. The pins w/ pigtails is what get you. I made the conversion harness when I was going to put a 2012 navi unit in my 2012 ... but decided against it due to issues with the Entune ... however the harness works well, plus you don't hack up your existing connectors, should you decide to go back to stock headunit.

28-pin connector = 90980-12555
16x pin w/ pigtail = 82998-12860

#101 ·
For those considering this receiver- Learn from my mistakes on the Myron & Davis GPS/DVD unit. I purchased this unit for $329.00 from ebay...the GPS map card was defective. If you have any problems, contact the seller immediately. I did not and am now unable to get a refund (only had 14 days to return). I did immediately contact Myron & Davis, they are very friendly. However, they are irresponsible in taking action to correct issue. After several weeks of waiting and calling, I still have not received replacement SD card. Don't trust Myron & Davis' plan of action- contact the ebay seller.

#102 ·
My SD card with maps worked at first, but after the second day of installation it decided it did not want to work. I did not back up my Maps, so I called Myron and Davis. They has to check that my Ebay Purchase was actually from them and not someone else. Once confirmed, they gave me an address and ref. number to send the card to and they said they would send another back. I sent it in about a week and a half ago now, so I am just waiting to see if they come through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.