How do I access tire pressure / fuel economy in 2012 nav/entune audio - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjj130 View Post
All software updates are done through the phone. When the phone is connected to the car via Entune (or any internet connection) it will periodically go out and check for updates. It asks you if you are sure you want to do this because of charges that can incur with data being downloaded.
Thanks. What is your source for this information? I am not disputing it, I am just trying to get the answers to questions my dealer has been stalling me on for weeks.

The salesman told me my car had the TPMS/eco data on the HU. He and the other guy agreed to check. They have not done their job. I am beginning to doubt it is there for us even though there is no reason it cannot be there. It is possible that in rushing through the functions I mistook the vehicle information screen that displays the system software version and large reverse video bars containing serial number information for the display shown in my manual.

It appears Toyota deleted the feature and does not want people to know.

I should not have to come to this forum for the answers to a simple question about a feature on my new car that the salesman told me is there. CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!! We could get billions!!!

As for the XM what you are saying makes sense; I said I was not sure. I have seen elsewhere that there is a channel used for updates, the dealer told me it was done that way, but their veracity is in question.

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,138 Times in 823 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Just remember, these people at the dealership are SALESMEN. And most of them have very little technical knowledge about the cars they sell. Who knows, they may have been selling washing machines the week before. They will tell the customer what he wants to hear just to get rid of them. And if they don't know the answer to a question, they will make up some BS on the spot. I've seen it done!!

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yep, I know. Right now the only group with a lower approval rating than congress are used car salesmen.

The functions are not a big deal. The guys at the dealership repeatedly promising to find the answer and not even bothering to call with a simple "no it doesn't do that" is. I will take the car somewhere else for service. They will not get any more of my business.

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

#24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
Thanks. What is your source for this information? I am not disputing it, I am just trying to get the answers to questions my dealer has been stalling me on for weeks.

The salesman told me my car had the TPMS/eco data on the HU. He and the other guy agreed to check. They have not done their job. I am beginning to doubt it is there for us even though there is no reason it cannot be there. It is possible that in rushing through the functions I mistook the vehicle information screen that displays the system software version and large reverse video bars containing serial number information for the display shown in my manual.

It appears Toyota deleted the feature and does not want people to know.

I should not have to come to this forum for the answers to a simple question about a feature on my new car that the salesman told me is there. CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!! We could get billions!!!

As for the XM what you are saying makes sense; I said I was not sure. I have seen elsewhere that there is a channel used for updates, the dealer told me it was done that way, but their veracity is in question.
I don't have a source on the internet... I just know after doing the USB update to whatever version we're all at now, I was prompted the next time I started the car and connected via Entune to do another minor update.

To be honest the info may have been in the letter that came with my USB key update.

And again as for as the deal about fuel consumption and TPMS info, that's the Premium HU only. It's on Toyota's website.

I'm assuming it's a feature that could be added at a later date w/ a software update, but you can see it's not a hidden menu on the Premium HU's.
#25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info. I came to this forum to find answers, and I have found many here, as well as inspiration and fellowship. I also found that just like the rest of our country it is highly polarized. No surprise there.

I agree the TPMS monitor could probably be added as an entune app. I'm not sure the fuel economy could, unless there is bluetooth on the car bus. The second salesman tried to tell me the fuel economy data was only available on the stand alone display unit in my dash. I don't believe him. It is there on the bus or it would not be on the OBD2.

The fuel economy history could probably be added via an ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 unit. I wonder how long it will be before somebody hacks into it and start building custom apps? I'm not holding my breath. Guys like that will probably spend their time on the HD HU's. I have no desire to watch video on my HU., and the display resolution is adequate for nav and entertainment. If I want video the IPAD is a much better option and it is in the car anyway.

I have the mirror with video built in so I never have to look down. Not sure it is worth $495 but it is great. I'm not sure if the rear view camera system even works with the Pioneer HU in my car. Does anybody have it with on-screen rear-view?

Apparently the HU I have is the best I can get with nav in the RAV4 so we do not get access to the "premium unit" shown in the manual that comes with the car.

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

#26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 PM

bob, if it's any consolation to you, I HATE the Entune system. I think it's a real POS. If the engineers that rigged this crap up, to go in the most expensive Rav4 they build, drove ANY Hyundai product with navigation, they would quit their jobs at Toyota and go to work in a fast food restaurant!

Their disclaimers in the manuals "if equipped" would eliminate any lawsuit possibility with the TPMS/ Fuel economy, also Toyota does not advertise this feature for Rav4 in any brochure, online, or the window sticker (Monroney). Toyota will not support what a salesperson tells you, that is out of their ability to control.

I was also able to find some info that the electric Rav4 does display the info through the nav screen.

Like Junebug said, car salesmen will tell you anything to get you to buy. Btw: My mom's 2008 Chevy Impala will display tire pressure for EACH tire and toot the horn when the right amount of air is placed in the tire!

Ray

2012 RAV4 Blizzard Pearl Limited V6 4wd, Entune-Nav, Rearview mirror cam, tow prep pkg w/ Curt Class 3 hitch.
2011 Hyundai Sonata SE nav/sunroof
2004 Lexus RX330
1992 Mazda Miata C-pkg
#27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 AM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I think it was a mistake to downgrade the system display resolution, and its performance in general, just to make a bit more profit. I agree it's a piece of crap, but it's what we've got unless we replace the HU. I'm not quite ready to do that, having achieved acceptable sound by replacing spkrs, and adding amps, a sub, and eq. The nav is acceptable, and it is nice to be able to ask the car to take me to the nearest starbucks. I would never consider using most of the apps, but Bing is useful. I wish they had a different search engine. All engineers hate microsoft.

I had a little fun with the voice recognition; by programming in a long album title into the ipod and asking it to play the first few words I achieved this:

me: Play "the album i want"
HU: Playing "the album i want, F... the one you want"

The possibilities are endless.

I was kidding of course about suing them. It would be far less trouble to hack the entune system myself and write the app to do what i want, or figure out how to link the bluetooth tpms sensors with my tablet and use the obd2 data it gets already from the elm327 to do the fuel history. I think it might even be there in the pro pack touchscan software.

I guess it makes sense to save a buck or two each on a million cars if your PR guys tell you it will only piss off a few guys like us. If they didn't do this it would be something else.

It's been quite awhile since I dealt with a new car dealer. I was hoping things might have changed, but some never do...

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

#28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:43 AM

I found this picture of the EV nav. Toyota RAV4 EV ? 2012 Pictures & Photo Gallery Click on Interior, then you can see the pics.

Look at the MSRP..... that is unreal!!!!

Ray

2012 RAV4 Blizzard Pearl Limited V6 4wd, Entune-Nav, Rearview mirror cam, tow prep pkg w/ Curt Class 3 hitch.
2011 Hyundai Sonata SE nav/sunroof
2004 Lexus RX330
1992 Mazda Miata C-pkg
#29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 AM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, the price of decent batteries is still too high, and the price of gas is still too low, for the RAV EV to be a good buy. I figure even with the EV getting an equivalent 100 mpg here because of the cheap power, the 10k miles I drive a year at 25 mpg vs the 100 mpg would save me about $1200, so in 10 years i would save about $12k on gas (assuming the price stays about the same) and the batteries will not last that long.

Better batteries are available, they are just not profitable yet. Mediocre ones are much more profitable, so like mediocre stereo systems, that is what we will get.

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

#30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Just remember, these people at the dealership are SALESMEN. And most of them have very little technical knowledge about the cars they sell. Who knows, they may have been selling washing machines the week before. They will tell the customer what he wants to hear just to get rid of them. And if they don't know the answer to a question, they will make up some BS on the spot. I've seen it done!!
Right, the salesman didn't even know where the oil filter was located on the 2013 RAV4 I recently purchased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page