New Member Greeting- and Aftermarket Backup Camera - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Member Greeting- and Aftermarket Backup Camera

Hello all,

I have lurked this forum for a few months and have got some great info on how to replace the rear wiper and cabin filter on my wife's RAV4. I am definitely a "car-guy" and love learning new things about cars. I am an active member on a couple Audi forums as well which have proven to be very helpful.

Now, down to business. I have a question about a back up camera I bought for my wife. It is the Peak PKC0RG rear view mirror display.

Peak PKC0RG Small Rearview Mirror with 3.5-Inch Backup Camera – $75 + Free Shipping | Gadget Review

I have searched the forum a lot to figure out wiring and if this would be a good and easy install but haven't figured out if I made the right decision with this unit. I plan on installing tomorrow while a friend who is an electrician is in town. The Rav4 does not have NAV or the separate camera opening on the license plate, just the one plate light, so the camera will be installed on the license plate bracket. What is the best way to wire the camera to the tail light from the plate bracket without it being seen and without drilling? Or did I make a poor decision on this unit?

Thanks so much for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

If you look at Junebug's profile, you will find links to documents including the 2007 electrical diagrams. It will at least show wire colors. I hope the radio signal is sufficient to give you a good picture.

Access rear door electricial wires talks of pulling the door panel and trim off.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Carbon, I will take a look at those.

Also forgot to ask the best route to run the wires from the plate bracket to the tail light wires.

Thanks again!
#4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

I have not been in there, but there is a flex tube that passes wires to the door. I think you will find references to people adding wires to that.

Try the Advanced Search function, and check the 4.3 forums for more references.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Veliksam
Or you could get a wireless a/v transmitter and receiver and save yourself the trouble of having to route the wires. They are very cheap, I think from $12-20 on eBay and Amazon.

Sent from my HTC ONE X

-----2012 V6 Sport, Tow Prep, & 4x4-----
HU: Kenwood DNN991HD & back-up cam,
JDM HID Projector Headlights w/Toshiba D4S Bulbs, JDM Vanguard Tail Lights
Front DRL's, LED Bumper Park/Brake lights,
Laser Interceptor Quad & Passport 9500ix
Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
#6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 PM

Alternate backup camera mounting

One thing that has kept me from installing a backup camera on my 2007 Rav4 was the combination of the license plate mounting being so off-center and the hassle of wiring through the door and into the car body. The wireless option won't help much, as you still need to connect to the backup lights to turn on the camera when in reverse.
I finally decided that there was an alternative that led me to install a system last week, including a wireless link between camera and display. While maybe not quite as attractive as mounting over the license plate, it's centered and avoids wiring in the door. See the attached photo. I added two angle brackets to the underside of the bumper, then mounted the camera to the brackets. The camera with the wireless link is <$30 on ebay - see TaoTronics Wireless Car Rear Backup Camera Night Vision w Transmitter Receiver | eBay. The transmitter sits nicely in the side storage compartment in the left rear quarter panel. As suggested, the wiring was much simpler this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bu camera.jpg (65.2 KB, 44 views)

Work's done, time to travel.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 05:32 PM

I am buying this SONY CCD model for several reasons.
1. Price
2. It is as close to OEM as they make
3. If the position is good for the OEM version, then I guess it will be good for me too
#8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everybody for all the suggestions and advice. I ended up installing the PEAK system this weekend with a friend. It took about 6 hours total but was worth the work. We ran the plate mounted camera wires through the hole behind the license plate, then ran it inside that panel through the rubber conduit between the door and rear quarter panel to the tail lights. As other posts in threads have mentioned, the Jack makes it difficult to do anything without removing panels but we managed. We spliced the wires with the reverse lights after fishing them out which was a task in itself. The RF transmitter was mounted inside this panel next to the Jack. The integrated mirror and LCD screen wires were run through the headliner over to the A pillar and down to the fuse box. We piggyback the wires to the cigarette lighter fuse and finished it up. Its great BC you can't see any wires and now my wife can see if there is anything behind her. This was not meant to help her reverse but to make sure there isn't anything behind her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page