Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Parking Brake Bypass

23K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  sushiguy732 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I just installed a Pioneer AVH-P2400BT in my car (2006, base, no JBL) and it comes with a DVD player which will not play unless the parking brake is applied. Not that I'll be watching DVDs in the car while driving to work, but I read somewhere that a bypass is possible to hook up.

What I have learned so far is that I need a 5 pin relay and some wire and attach it to the green parking brake wire and something else. Problem is no one mentioned what kind of wire to be used which is what I would like to know. I have extra wires in the harness which are not being used (mute, power antenna, etc) but I would rather not cut them (for no good reason).

If anyone could help that would be great.

TIA

#14 ·
As long as you connect your wire (that goes to the parking break wire) to ANY ground nut/bolt in the vehicle, the parking brake wire will be bypassed. Don't buy anything extra, it's a waste.

#17 ·
most newer models need a pulsing switch. this is because the system now "senses" the change of the brake being engaged and disengaged. buying that ebay/amazon harness is your best bet. on my first unit, JVC, i just grounded the cable and it worked perfectly. but on my clarion unit, i made a relay, but now i look back and should have just got the bypass from ebay/amazon because its much smaller.

Reactions: sushiguy732
#19 ·
the install is very easy. at most 10 mins if you know how to remove the panels and everything. good luck

#20 ·
yeah... only three wires. I just have to go out and get the right connectors so I can splice them together. CAN'T WAIT! Then after that is done, I am waiting on my backup camera to hook up to the head unit as well. FUN FUN FUN!

Not that anyone asked but... I have 120,000 miles on my '06 base. I feel it will run another 4-5 years so I am trying to breathe life into the interior / functionality of the vehicle so I "feel" like it is newer.

#21 ·
if you are getting a rear view cam, might as well wait to do it together. thats what i did. i hate opening and closing the panels. but its a hard wait.

Reactions: numba1stunna201
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.