Toyota RAV4 Forums

Toyota RAV4 Forums (http://www.rav4world.com/forums/)
-   4.3 Interior (http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/)
-   -   Parking Brake Bypass (http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/93289-parking-brake-bypass.html)

sushiguy732 12-29-2012 07:04 PM

Parking Brake Bypass

Hi All,

I just installed a Pioneer AVH-P2400BT in my car (2006, base, no JBL) and it comes with a DVD player which will not play unless the parking brake is applied. Not that I'll be watching DVDs in the car while driving to work, but I read somewhere that a bypass is possible to hook up.

What I have learned so far is that I need a 5 pin relay and some wire and attach it to the green parking brake wire and something else. Problem is no one mentioned what kind of wire to be used which is what I would like to know. I have extra wires in the harness which are not being used (mute, power antenna, etc) but I would rather not cut them (for no good reason).

If anyone could help that would be great.

TIA

txpackers 12-30-2012 11:36 AM

Try just attaching the green parking brake wire from your Pioneer wiring harness to the black ground wire. That's what I did with my Kenwood system and it worked fine.

sushiguy732 12-30-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpackers (Post 947842)
Try just attaching the green parking brake wire from your Pioneer wiring harness to the black ground wire. That's what I did with my Kenwood system and it worked fine.

I heard that by doing that, at least with the Pioneer systems, that will not work. I have not confirmed it but I may try that first. thanks.

Critical-Audio 12-30-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpackers (Post 947842)

This is incorrect for a pioneer units.
-

And on to the correct way to do it with the AVH-"x"400 Series
It has changed on the newer ones AVH-"X"500

Although it is illegal to view while driving.
Pin 85 and 87 go to ground "black wiring in pioneer harness
pin 30 goes to the light green wire in the pioneer harness
pin 86 goes to the blue with white stripe wire in the pioneer harness

Photo for reference

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ps2a94d578.jpg

txpackers 12-30-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushiguy732 (Post 947847)
I heard that by doing that, at least with the Pioneer systems, that will not work. I have not confirmed it but I may try that first. thanks.

The guys at Crutchfield told me this wouldn't work either for my Kenwood DNX6990HD unit. They gave me directions to run the wire to the RAV4 fuse box located above the handle for opening the hood and then connect it to the parking brake wire located in this fusebox. I looked at doing this, but then saw how tight the area was and decided to just try grounding it instead to see if it worked. I haven't fully completed my installation yet, but at least with the RAV4 sitting in the driveway everything seems to work including playing the DVDs.

sushiguy732 12-30-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critical-Audio (Post 947867)
This is incorrect for a pioneer units.
-

And on to the correct way to do it with the AVH-"x"400 Series
It has changed on the newer ones AVH-"X"500

Although it is illegal to view while driving.
Pin 85 and 87 go to ground "black wiring in pioneer harness
pin 30 goes to the light green wire in the pioneer harness
pin 86 goes to the blue with white stripe wire in the pioneer harness

Photo for reference

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ps2a94d578.jpg

This is AWESOME! Just one question. What type of wire do I buy??

Critical-Audio 12-30-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpackers (Post 947872)
The guys at Crutchfield told me this wouldn't work either for my Kenwood DNX6990HD unit. They gave me directions to run the wire to the RAV4 fuse box located above the handle for opening the hood and then connect it to the parking brake wire located in this fusebox. I looked at doing this, but then saw how tight the area was and decided to just try grounding it instead to see if it worked. I haven't fully completed my installation yet, but at least with the RAV4 sitting in the driveway everything seems to work including playing the DVDs.

It's because the gyro inside will sense your movement. That's how it tells your speed. There is other bypass for that has well

And any wire will work thin speaker wire.
18 awg primary wire, your not passing much current through the relay so no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

sushiguy732 12-30-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critical-Audio (Post 947884)
18 awg primary wire, your not passing much current through the relay so no worries.

cool! I have plenty of speaker wire. Thanks for your help. I am going out tomorrow to get the relay and wire it up. Next project.... CCD backup camera to integrate into my new head unit. :-)

txpackers 12-31-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critical-Audio (Post 947884)
It's because the gyro inside will sense your movement. That's how it tells your speed. There is other bypass for that has well

So with your experience do you think I will have problems with the way I connected my Kenwood? I'm still waiting for an iPod cable so I haven't completed the installation and haven't driven the RAV4 with the unit installed and powered on to see how things work. At least sitting in the driveway everything seems to work including playing DVDs and the GPS.

Thanks.

vanstrien 12-31-2012 08:47 AM

Have you considered something like this?

Amazon.com: PIONEER VIDEO BYPASS FOR AVH-P1400DVD AVH-P2400BT AVH-P3400BH AVH-P4400BH: Car Electronics

Apparently they sell several different types if you do a quick search.