AVH-X3500BHS install - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
AVH-X3500BHS install

I bought a Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS head unit after looking at quite a few alternatives. The big things I liked about this unit are:
• Built-in HD radio tuner
• SiriusXM ready (via a cheap and easy to plug in SXV200V1)
• Pandora connect so I control pandora from the radio rather than my phone
• USB, and via a cable can use the existing USB plug
• DVD/CDs
• Nice graphics and I've set my kids as the background photo

The few downsides are:
• It beeps for every keypress - volume changes or anything
• The presets for stations are triggered by small buttons on screen (and not the steering control)
• The steering control triggers a literal up and down frequency change instead of cycling through presets

I bought it from Crutchfield because I was hoping their 'Mastersheet' would allay my fears about doing my first ever radio swap. Other forum members had said they really trusted Crutchfield but I found that the parts they supplied were inferior and the Mastersheet wasn't useful. I used entirely materials from this forum or documents that came with the product.

Nevertheless, the install was surprisingly simple. It took several hours but that was mostly me just trying to figure out what to do.

With the HU Crutchfield also sent the wiring harnesses, antenna adapter and receiver kit (mount). I also bought an SXV200V1 satellite tuner and Posi-products car stereo connectors (which ended up being great). From Amazon I bought a Metra ASWC steering wheel control interface and from another place online I ordered a TOYUSB cable so the existing USB cable would work.

Steps:
1. Remove side panels and existing radio. I put some painters tape where I was worried I might scratch things.
2. Remove A-frame panels and run microphone wire from the center roof area above the rear-view mirror down through the panels, under the dash and up to the radio
3. Work the Satellite antenna through to the trunk area of the car and mount just behind the existing antenna. (I did this months ago for an external receiver so I just reused the antenna)
4. Use the instructions that came with the radio and the wire harness instructions to wire the Crutchfield wire harness to the new radio's harness. This was more simple than I expected and the Posi connectors made it quick and easy.
5. Wire in the few wires from the steering wheel control using the instructions PDF from the Metra website. I used short solid wires from a kid's electronics experiment kit. I plugged these into the harness that was behind the dash and then taped them in place using electrical tape. These wires connected to other existing wires. For my ground connection I had to cut the existing ground wire because I had too many wires coming to one connection.
6. Wire up the radio's green wire to the parking brake
7. Connect the antenna adapter, SiriusXM connections, mic, usb connector and assembled harnesses. Cover any unused wires with tap.
8. Connect the radio and test.
9. It worked fine the first time so I assembled Crutchfield's crappy mount and put everything in place.

I mentioned in another post that I might use the existing microphone instead of the Pioneer one that came with the radio. However feedback provided to me from people I called made me think that the Pioneer antenna mounted above the rear-view mirror provided the best sound. You can't see it in the photos but it comes out the divot in the ceiling fabric that is above the mirror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0849.JPG (260.6 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0845.JPG (276.9 KB, 258 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vanstrien For This Useful Post:
007wilk (01-24-2013), jordan_emt (11-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 AM

Looks good! Would you mind passing along where you got the TOYUSB cable? Do you remember the brand of the mount that Crutchfield sent? I thought they used Scosche mounts, which I have read are pretty good.

Bob
CEO, Dad's Taxi Service
'12 Rav4 Base 4WD w/ Upg Value Pkg.
'12 Camry XLE, '12 Honda Civic EX
#3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-blehead View Post
Looks good! Would you mind passing along where you got the TOYUSB cable? Do you remember the brand of the mount that Crutchfield sent? I thought they used Scosche mounts, which I have read are pretty good.
I just bought a different pioneer unit from them and it wax definitely NOT a Scosche mount. Pretty cheap unit if you ask me. I also agree that the booklet they sent, which is supposed to be amazing, is substandard at best. I didn't use it t all because it was useless. I too used the wiring diagram only which can,w with the harness.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 06:59 PM

(Thread Starter)
#5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 AM

(Thread Starter)
By the way, I had to 'reprogram' the Metra unit so that the steering wheel controls went through my preset stations instead of tuning up. It was a pain as I had to try about 10 times to get it right.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:38 AM

Thanks for posting. I was looking at this same unit or the 5500 series. You answered most of the questions I had. But a couple more before I jump in (also waiting for the Pioneer iPhone 5 kit coming this spring).

1 - You mentioned the microphone mounting near the roof. Anyone know if the factory mic can be used somehow?
2 - Does the indash kit match the trim color OK? Hard to tell from picture although the fit looks pretty good.
3 - Does anyone know if I add the factory pickup/hang-up phone controls to the right side of the steering wheel, will the steering AXXESS unit make those buttons work as well? This is for a 2012 Limited w/o Entune.

Thanks!
#7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 AM

(Thread Starter)
Jug -

1. I've looked at using the factory mic. At first I thought the Pioneer mic would do well because I was told by callers that they could hear fine, but since those initial few days I've had a lot of complaints. I'm going to check that the plugs are OK and if that isn't the problem I may look at using the factory mic. I know which wires to use and just have to make a plug.

2. It matches the color and most people probably don't notice how it looks, but I hate it. It isn't flush in some places and is just a very cheap looking textured black plastic.

3. It should, but I don't have that model so I'm not sure. Axxess basically has a PDF for each make, model and trim style on their website. If I plug in your details it gives you this: http://contentdocs.installernet.com/...icle/12224.pdf That suggests it should do the trick but you may also decide to use the full manual to reprogram buttons as needed. The Axxess box should detect any button that is pushed (and wired to go to the stereo already through the harness) and allow you to reprogram it as needed.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 PM

If you have a 2012 I would suggest using these. It allows you to keep the factory mounting brackets and dash kit. Looks a little something like this:

#9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 AM

(Thread Starter)
Photo of the mounting plates richericks suggested.

I think I like them more than the mount from Crutchfields. For my own benefit I know that the mount is less crappy and thus I like these mounting plates. However nothing is flush now so that might not look as nice to others in my car.

On the other hand the Crutchfield mount was cheap and I knew where it didn't stick right. Versus anyone who rides in my car who would probably not notice those things.

In the end I'm more important than everyone else so I'll stick with the mounting plates. :-) Thanks for the suggestion richericks.

(Apologies for the cameraphone pic. I should have used a normal camera.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash.jpg (132.6 KB, 80 views)
#10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanstrien View Post
By the way, I had to 'reprogram' the Metra unit so that the steering wheel controls went through my preset stations instead of tuning up. It was a pain as I had to try about 10 times to get it right.
Good job, vanstrien. So how exactly did you do it? Did you follow their instructions for manual programming? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page