Remote start research - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As I said self-install is a lot of research & work. The upside is understanding how it all works and being able to customize it. For instance mine doesn't shut off on unlocking or opening the door or on touching the brake pedal.

If I was doing a full aftermarket unit I get a two-way one for the feedback feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to kingnba6
i agree 100%. installing it yourself and being able to fiddle and change stuff is such a great advantage.

also having the 2-way feature really eases the troubled mind.

2004 Rav4 I4 FWD
Mileage-21056 as of 8/20/11
Clarion NX500 with -Rearview Camera
-Video bypass
-iPod connection
-HD Radio
Fog lights with Halo Ring.
Tints
Viper 5902 Alarm System with -Window Roll Down Module
-Automatic Start
-Viper HD Remote
-Clifford 7752x Remote
#13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnba6 View Post
having the 2-way feature really eases the troubled mind.
And we ALL need our troubled minds eased for sure!

Seriously it is quite helpful where you can't see your car from where you start it.
#14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM

(Thread Starter)
In the end it was moot, for me. I found a car equipped otherwise how I liked it and it had the OEM remote start. The actual cost was $320. I received a quote, before I found the car, of $400 for an express system that would work with either the OEM fob or the new fobs. The new fob was explained to have a much longer range. I am going to wait and see if the shutting down will be an aggrivation.
#15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrede View Post
In the end it was moot, for me. I found a car equipped otherwise how I liked it and it had the OEM remote start. The actual cost was $320. I received a quote, before I found the car, of $400 for an express system that would work with either the OEM fob or the new fobs. The new fob was explained to have a much longer range. I am going to wait and see if the shutting down will be an aggrivation.
New fobs being the one that came w/ the non-OEM start system or new fobs meaning the 2012 OEM fobs?

Definitely would love to hear your opinion of the OEM starter.

I like things as minimalistic as possible. I often only carry my OEM key fob on me. I leave the my house keys at home.
#16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 02:12 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjj130 View Post
New fobs being the one that came w/ the non-OEM start system or new fobs meaning the 2012 OEM fobs?

Definitely would love to hear your opinion of the OEM starter.

I like things as minimalistic as possible. I often only carry my OEM key fob on me. I leave the my house keys at home.
Yes, sorry for not being clear. The aftermarket system has a longer range, for sure. What I did not know before this was that the Toyota door lock only fob could be used for remote start when an aftermarket system is installed. The Toyota fob having much less range.

A concern that this installer warned about is systems where the key fob lock does not work with the engine running. Some cars do, some don't. I tested the RAV4 and the key fob unlock button is not functional with the engine running. I think it was about not being able to unlock the car with the aftermarket fob. Bottom line, with the aftermarket you must carry two fobs to get extended range.

Another thought was that the aftermarket remote start will work if the check engine light is on. OEM will not. Not a concern to me.

I suppose the 2-way functions of some aftermarket systems is nice, as is the extended range. The OEM unit has enough range to start mine where needed and I can look out the window to make sure it is running. Only time will tell if the door open-->shutdown will be acceptable. I have a little more comfort knowing it is OEM and will never have the discussion with the service writer about how the third party installation caused something to go bad, whether true or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page