Personalizing my Rav4, in progress but have questions - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Personalizing my Rav4, in progress but have questions

Hi All,

new to the forum, and new to Rav4.

I picked up a 2012 Silver Rav4, V6, 4WD less than a month ago.

So far, I've added a

Myron&Davis Navi/radio, Back up camera and replaced the stock front speakers(Polk Audio DB6501).

However, I do have a few questions and I'll list them by priority:

I would like to add a LED strip to the underside of the door handle. While I was routing the GPS antenna(velcro'ed to the rear view mirror, I ran a single wire from the over head dome lights to the front door. The plan is to ran this wire into the door, and connect the LED to the dome light. The negative end of the LED would need to be grounded in the door somewhere. so the question is is there a ground point in the door? if not, can I add one. on the driver side, it's less of a big deal. I can easily ran 2 wires into the door and connect the ground to the grounding point behind the panel. Unless there's also a ground point in front of the passenger door that I don't know about.

While I had the door panel off, I snapped a picture of the side mirror connector. I'm pretty sure my Rav4 is assembled in Canada, and it's a 7 pin connector. I'm assuming this is ready/plug and plug for heated side mirror with turn signal?

The Myron&Davis Hu came with a 20 pin connector, well my 2012 has the 28. I need to make a wiring harness, have all the parts. Just can't find an easy to read diagram. I downloaded the 2012 rav4 radio wiring, can't make sense of it. If anyone has done this, some help will be appreciated. Also wondering how I can connect the "parking brake". I'm assuming this is the feature that let's you watch movies only when the brake is on, can I just ground it to have video anytime?

Lastly, I wanted a switch to turn on and off the Sub I'm adding. It's been awhile but there's suppose to be a signal wire from the deck to turn on the amp? I wanna put a switch in series so I can turn on and off the amp. Is there a place where I can pick up panel mount switches that matches what's already in the car?

Thanks in advance

Oh, other things I've added are Weathertech side wind deflectors, Wade front bug deflector. Already ordered parts for a retrofit, hood lift struts, and planning on side molding and nerf bars. I was gonna get the fog lights but I seeing how they might be useless after the retrofit, I'm putting the fogs on the back burner for now.

Last edited by jingerale; 01-07-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Veliksam
Welcome. I recently added heated/turn signal mirrors to my sport, from the photo it seems you have the same connector as mine so I think you are 99% good to go, just buy the mirrors and that's it. I got mine on eBay for $165 shipped, they are brand new and good quality, you'll need to paint the covers to match the body color if you want or leave them the way they are (gloss black). For some reason though the drivers side mirror glass shakes or vibrates a lot more than the original mirror, don't know why but I'll figure it out.

Sent from my HTC ONE X

-----2012 V6 Sport, Tow Prep, & 4x4-----
HU: Kenwood DNN991HD & back-up cam,
JDM HID Projector Headlights w/Toshiba D4S Bulbs, JDM Vanguard Tail Lights
Front DRL's, LED Bumper Park/Brake lights,
Laser Interceptor Quad & Passport 9500ix
Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
#3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veliksam View Post
Welcome. I recently added heated/turn signal mirrors to my sport, from the photo it seems you have the same connector as mine so I think you are 99% good to go, just buy the mirrors and that's it. I got mine on eBay for $165 shipped, they are brand new and good quality, you'll need to paint the covers to match the body color if you want or leave them the way they are (gloss black). For some reason though the drivers side mirror glass shakes or vibrates a lot more than the original mirror, don't know why but I'll figure it out.

Sent from my HTC ONE X
thanks for the welcome. I've actually read many of your threads/posts. You're the guy that imported some projector headlights from Germany right? I was actually going to hit you up, but I wanted to try a retrofit first.

Anyway, I'm ripping off the door panels again to finish off the speaker install, will take a meter to the cable harness to make sure there's actually signals/power being sent to the mirror. but yea, for mirrors, I would prefer OEM. I'm probably ok with used too, so any heated/signal mirrors off a 06-12(edit: wait, I think the signal parts started on the 09's) Limited should work right? as long as the connector matched(7 pin). To be honest, I would love a pair of motorized mirrors so they can auto retract/fold. I have absolutely no use for it, but darn it, I just want it.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
At this rate, you will have more mods than me!
Keep it up.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
#5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
At this rate, you will have more mods than me!
Keep it up.
there's another name I've seen many times before. I'm pretty sure I got the GPS antenna mounting location from you.

Anyway, it's guys like you, veliksam and Junebug that leads the way. Heck, I'm not a car guy, I wouldn't even know about half of these things if it wasn't for this site and its members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page