My Aftermarket Backup Camera Review - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Joisey
Posts: 79
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
My Aftermarket Backup Camera Review

Hi All,

As you may know, I have been posting a lot in the past few weeks, mostly regarding my new head unit and the aftermarket Sony CCD backup camera I bought.

I thought I'd take a few moments to post a review about the camera.

First and foremost, I have said it before and I'll say it again. the camera was less than $20.00 delivered and it wold cost hundreds to get the factory camera installed. But for $20.00 I REALLY happen to like this camera.

The fit was about 99% accurate and it replaces the current light bulb holder for the rear license plate. I had to use the included double sided sticky tape to make it a snug fit or the camera would move and not give me a full view. Once the tape was installed all was well.

The picture quality is great. Daytime especially, whether it is in full daylight or even in the shade. Nighttime the camera gets a bit grainy but I was able to compensate for it by adjusting the output settings on my head unit.

Installation was simple once I figured out what I was doing wrong in setting it up. I had the power to the camera hooked up to my backup bulb but then I also had to have the wire from the head unit hooked up to the fuse panel which I didn't. Once done it works as expected. The only other install note I will make is the RCA cable which runs to the front was a bit short so I bought a F2F coupler and used a spare RCA cable I had in the house to extend the whole thing.

All in all I am very pleased and if given the chance I would do it all over again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backing out of garage in daylight.jpg (252.6 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg daytime in the shade.jpg (236.8 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg low light at night.jpg (188.1 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg supermarket parking lot at night.jpg (121.8 KB, 235 views)

________________
'06 Base with 4WD
Fume Canister Sheild
Pioneer AVH-P2400BT Stereo
Sony CCD Backup Camera
sushiguy732 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
vanib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 5,506
Thanks: 161
Thanked 406 Times in 369 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Try installing some LED rear bumper reflectors. I am sure they will help at night.
They work exactly like the rear brake lights. i.e ON when headlights are ON and brighter when the brakes are pressed.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "OLIVA - Raise the curtain"
vanib is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
03rav4inPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fairless Hills, PA
Posts: 716
Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Great write-up! I hear the Sony CCD cameras are the BEST aftermarket ones to buy. If I bought the Eclipse one it would be over $200

Glad to hear it worked out for you, I'm going to get this rig for my 4.2 and make it fit in the same location

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 93k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors

Future Mods: OEM rear-spoiler, OEM 'Sport' hood
03rav4inPA is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Joisey
Posts: 79
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
Try installing some LED rear bumper reflectors. I am sure they will help at night.
They work exactly like the rear brake lights. i.e ON when headlights are ON and brighter when the brakes are pressed.
I actually wanted to install an LED license plate light bulb but I am not sure which one to buy.

Truth be told, I can more than live with the way it is, I don't mind it at all.

________________
'06 Base with 4WD
Fume Canister Sheild
Pioneer AVH-P2400BT Stereo
Sony CCD Backup Camera
sushiguy732 is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Joisey
Posts: 79
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rav4inPA View Post
Great write-up! I hear the Sony CCD cameras are the BEST aftermarket ones to buy. If I bought the Eclipse one it would be over $200

Glad to hear it worked out for you, I'm going to get this rig for my 4.2 and make it fit in the same location
thanks and good luck! Let us know how it goes...

________________
'06 Base with 4WD
Fume Canister Sheild
Pioneer AVH-P2400BT Stereo
Sony CCD Backup Camera
sushiguy732 is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: GTA Ontario
Posts: 499
Thanks: 17
Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiguy732 View Post
Hi All,

As you may know, I have been posting a lot in the past few weeks, mostly regarding my new head unit and the aftermarket Sony CCD backup camera I bought.

I thought I'd take a few moments to post a review about the camera.

First and foremost, I have said it before and I'll say it again. the camera was less than $20.00 delivered and it wold cost hundreds to get the factory camera installed. But for $20.00 I REALLY happen to like this camera.

The fit was about 99% accurate and it replaces the current light bulb holder for the rear license plate. I had to use the included double sided sticky tape to make it a snug fit or the camera would move and not give me a full view. Once the tape was installed all was well.

The picture quality is great. Daytime especially, whether it is in full daylight or even in the shade. Nighttime the camera gets a bit grainy but I was able to compensate for it by adjusting the output settings on my head unit.

Installation was simple once I figured out what I was doing wrong in setting it up. I had the power to the camera hooked up to my backup bulb but then I also had to have the wire from the head unit hooked up to the fuse panel which I didn't. Once done it works as expected. The only other install note I will make is the RCA cable which runs to the front was a bit short so I bought a F2F coupler and used a spare RCA cable I had in the house to extend the whole thing.

All in all I am very pleased and if given the chance I would do it all over again.
With thanks to your posts & review, I will be installing the exact same radio+camera set-up as soon as the camera arrives

Hmmm, my camera cost $30 delivered from the same link on your profile . . . must have missed the deal

If I run into trouble with the install, I know exactly whom to contact


Thanks again.

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
CanuckRAV4 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Joisey
Posts: 79
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRAV4 View Post
With thanks to your posts & review, I will be installing the exact same radio+camera set-up as soon as the camera arrives

Hmmm, my camera cost $30 delivered from the same link on your profile . . . must have missed the deal

If I run into trouble with the install, I know exactly whom to contact


Thanks again.
I just checked the link again and it is still $19.50 US. Is it possible that yours comes up in Canadian currency?

Good luck with the installs. I had a lot of fun and frustration! Feel free to reach out anytime.

________________
'06 Base with 4WD
Fume Canister Sheild
Pioneer AVH-P2400BT Stereo
Sony CCD Backup Camera
sushiguy732 is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: GTA Ontario
Posts: 499
Thanks: 17
Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiguy732 View Post
I just checked the link again and it is still $19.50 US. Is it possible that yours comes up in Canadian currency?

Good luck with the installs. I had a lot of fun and frustration! Feel free to reach out anytime.
I now know why it was US$30. I've to use the Highlander backup camera from the same eBay vendor. Due to the SAP trim (Sport Appearance Package) my cargo door doesn't have a spare wheel hanging out the back, and the license plate is not offset likes the typical Rav4. It should be a straight license plate light swaps for the camera assembly.

I am scoping out the install while waiting for the camera . . . should be fun ironing out the kinks should any pops up.

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
CanuckRAV4 is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 02:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 143
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRAV4 View Post
I now know why it was US$30. I've to use the Highlander backup camera from the same eBay vendor. Due to the SAP trim (Sport Appearance Package) my cargo door doesn't have a spare wheel hanging out the back, and the license plate is not offset likes the typical Rav4. It should be a straight license plate light swaps for the camera assembly.

I am scoping out the install while waiting for the camera . . . should be fun ironing out the kinks should any pops up.
sorry to bump an old thread, but how did the install go for your RAV. i also have the SAP and was wondering if the highlander camera fit properly on you RAV or not and if it gives you a good viewing angle?

thanks.
dquangt is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: GTA Ontario
Posts: 499
Thanks: 17
Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dquangt View Post
sorry to bump an old thread, but how did the install go for your RAV. i also have the SAP and was wondering if the highlander camera fit properly on you RAV or not and if it gives you a good viewing angle?

thanks.
The head unit & camera install went well, thanks to sushiguy732 excellent write-up in another post. It does takes a bit of time (and nerve) to undo all the interior/exterior panels for the wiring. I ended up taking off the exterior 'valance' over the license plate so I can drill a single 1/2"-3/4" hole to pass the camera wiring inside. The included RCA cable was ~1' too long running from back to front, but it beats being too short as in sushiguy732 non-SAP case. I think it's because the regular Rav4 license plate is about 1.5' more to the lower left of the SAP model.

The Highlander (Sony CCD) camera replaces the right license light assembly perfectly and has a tiny LED to cast white light over the license plate at the right side. I will have to find a replacement LED bulb for the left side so I have white light from both sides. The camera is on the far right side of the right license plate light, when installed.

Since the camera was designed for the taller Highlander, the viewing angle is not optimal in my opinion. In its natural mounted position, it's currently aimed down ~45 degrees at the pavement. You will not be seeing anything more than 8' back from the rear bumper. It works well backing up to the wall/line with the superimposed green/yellow/red guidelines. The reversed image is very bright in the sunlight and very good in dim light, even with existing factory brake/backup lighting. I haven't adjusted the image setting yet on the Pioneer head unit but I will if I have some free time.

I'm still thinking up a way to broaden the viewing angle using shim to tilt the camera slightly upward. Again, as free time allows. I've had no major weather event or super carwash to test the weather resistant of the camera unit. The whole unit is tucked away nicely with only the camera lobe visible from the rear. Sushiguy732 has more time with this unit, he may chimes in if he's still viewing this thread.

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
CanuckRAV4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome