CD track names? - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
I just took a CD that is over 10 yrs old, disabled the internet connection on my pc, and media player showed the album title and song titles. I then took the same CD out to my RAV, and it did not display anything but the track numbers and time. I don't think it CAN display the song titles. The album cover that is displayed when using the ipod must be downloaded when the CD is transferred to ipod.

As for getting the song list for your new CD, try googling the title, or if you have CD burning software plug it in and let the software find the songlist online.
But had you ever put that particular CD in your PC ever before?

It seems to me a brand new CD would have the Title/Track info on the case insert CDs will soon be obsolete. I wish my new RAV could play 8 tracks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:05 PM

I had never played that CD on the PC before, but I did use ITunes to copy it to my Ipod, so as a test I just put it into a different computer I am certain it has never been played on. I unplugged it from the network first, then inserted the CD. Windows Media Player did not find the songs or title.

I then connected to the network and replayed the CD. At first it displayed "unknown artist" and "track 1" then it obviously went out and got the info off the net. I learned something new. Thanks. I would never have imagined that Itunes and Windows would share that sort of info, or that it was not on the CD in a format the player could read.

As for CD's disappearing, it's a marketing plot to suck us all into DRM so we cannot share music we purchase, just like buying e-books makes it impossible to pass them on after we read them.

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
#23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
I have played lots of CD's on my system, including the new dylan and stones albums, and have never seen an album or track name appear. The same CD's copied onto my ipod DO show the track names, so the info is there. I assumed our Pioneer nav units could not display the CD data. Are you sure you saw track labels on a CD and not the ipod input?
yes, absolutely, I put in a CD from last year and it showed the artwork, track name etc just like on the iPod. But it was definitely the actual physical CD. I've only tried a few, so far only one showed that info.
#24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:16 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgtrplyr View Post
You'd be surprised, but a lot of new CD's I buy don't have the track info burned into the disc itself. I don't know who's decision (label, artist, manufacturer) this is, but you're not the only one. Some new CD's just don't have the ID info in them
Yeah. Too bad. I don't buy that many CDs anymore, but with certain artists (Tim McGraw, Bruce Springsteen) I MUST have the real thing!!
#25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrede View Post
But had you ever put that particular CD in your PC ever before?

It seems to me a brand new CD would have the Title/Track info on the case insert CDs will soon be obsolete. I wish my new RAV could play 8 tracks
I wish they still would play cassettes!!
#26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,093 Times in 792 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabw View Post
yes, absolutely, I put in a CD from last year and it showed the artwork, track name etc just like on the iPod. But it was definitely the actual physical CD. I've only tried a few, so far only one showed that info.
I tried a little experiment last night. Took a CD and extracted the tracks into WAV files using Nero. When it extracted the tracks it accessed the CDDB and saved each track with the song name. Then I burned them back to a blank CD and enabled CD-Text. I put in the artist name, disc name, and publisher (JuneBug ), and burned the disc using Nero. Went out to the RAV and played the original disc. It showed NO TITLE for both the disc and tracks. Then I played my new copy with CD-Text and it displayed disc name, artist name, and track names.

I also tried them on 2 different computers with the internet connection disconnected. Windows Media Player apparently doesn't support CD-Text, but VLC player does.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
bob-o (02-15-2013), vanib (02-15-2013)
#27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
You miss the days of spinning the cassette around a pencil to re-wind the tape which got stuck in the player! I am happy they are gone!

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Def Leppard - High N' Dry". I love Ol' School Lep!
#28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Your probably just not as old. Seriously though, The advantages of electronic storage, whether it be an IPOD or thumb drive has so many advantages over CDs why should they hang around?

I'm not jumping on to the cloud dynamic streaming boat yet, but have converted all my music in whatever format and store it electronically, with backups. Library management can sometimes be a chore, setting genre and playlists etc., but is worth it in the end.
#29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrede View Post
Your probably just not as old. Seriously though, The advantages of electronic storage, whether it be an IPOD or thumb drive has so many advantages over CDs why should they hang around?

I'm not jumping on to the cloud dynamic streaming boat yet, but have converted all my music in whatever format and store it electronically, with backups. Library management can sometimes be a chore, setting genre and playlists etc., but is worth it in the end.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love my iPod and everything you can do on iTunes and I could spend hours working on my music library, but I still need liner notes and pictures and lyrics with my favorite boys!
#30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 05:37 PM

Yeah, I guess not everybody remembers the joy of 8-track tapes getting stuck in the deck and then pulling out the cart with tape streaming out of it, the end wrapped around the wheel inside the deck. I had a Muntz deck in my '68 MG, and several times when this happened with the top down, I chucked the tape out and left it streaming behind me. (the first streaming audio?) It was fairly common back in the 70's to see tangles of tape along the road.

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page