Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

CD track names?

7K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  novarav4 
#1 ·
I finally played a CD today in my new 2012 Limited with nav/Entune. It was an actual old-fashioned from the store CD (as opposed to burned on iTunes) and it's not showing the track names, just Track 1, Track 2. I haven't tried any others yet, so maybe it's just certain ones, but from what I saw in the manual, it should be showing the actual names all the time.

Shouldn't it?

#3 ·
I don't have Entune, but here's my take on it.

I don't think that you will see the track names from regular "old-fashioned" CD. I recalled that only one of my original CDs did that but it was recorded in a special way from the factory.

Unless Entune can connect through your phone and communicate with a database of songs, I don't see how this info can be displayed.

Of course, MP3s usually contain the info in the track file; so no internet connection is needed to get the info.

#5 ·
This is a brand new CD, I mean, just released like 2 weeks ago. As I said, I haven't tried any others yet. I understand about the homemade burned ones not showing names.

I don't play that many CDs anyway, but this particular one I'd like to learn the names of the tracks!!

#6 ·
There are apps for mobile phones. Just point the app to the music being played and it will give you the lyrics ... in sync with the songs! One of them is MusicMatch. I am sure there are others out there.

I am not sure what phone you have and if MusicMatch can be made to display the lyrics or title names on the Entune player though.

#7 ·
That sounds cool for the phone, anyway. I wonder if I have the Entune app on on the phone if that makes any difference? I haven't used it yet, don't want it to eat up data and the nav without Entune has been good enough so far.

#8 ·
Not all CDs have track names.

I wrote one of the first programs to automate CD & DVD archiving for government libraries and am intimately familiar with the structure of these things. Some have entire liner text that does not show on any device, most do not.

#11 ·
To head-off future confusion - what we are talking about in our case is CD-Text which can be in the CD itself but is not required.

It is common for internet-based music utilities to get the track names from an online Compact Disc Database (CDDB) (Gracenote). Each disc should have a unique internal ID. So you could mount a CD on your network connected computer and see track titles, but when mounting the same CD in your automobile, the track names do not show up because your player does not have an internet connection, and if it does then the player's firmware does not use it.

(My later software used Gracenote CDDB when CD-Text was not available.)

I think Sirius uses Gracenote. By the way, Sirius is a serious stock investment now. :)

#12 ·
CD-Text - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CD-Text
is an extension of the Red Book Compact Disc specifications standard for audio CDs. It allows for storage of additional information (e.g. album name, song name, and artist) on a standards-compliant audio CD. The information is stored either in the lead-in area of the CD, where there is roughly five kilobytes of space available, or in the Subchannels R to W on the disc, which can store about 31 megabytes. The latter areas are not used by strict Red Book CDs. The text is stored in a format usable by the Interactive Text Transmission System (ITTS). ITTS is also used by Digital Audio Broadcasting or the MiniDisc. The specification was released in September 1996 and backed by Sony. Support for CD-Text is common, but not universal. Utilities exist to automatically rip CD-Text data, and insert it into CDDB or freedb.

#13 ·
Thanks, James. I omitted the detail to simplify the explanation. By the way, the ability for a user to add to a public CDDB is not without some serious issues. For the sake of accuracy, we did not use such. (At the time I was a programmer in the media department of a U.S. Government Depository.)

#15 ·
Of course I knew that. But some store bought CD's have CD-Text, and some don't. Likewise, some CD players support CD-Text and some don't. I know the factory CD changer in my RAV4 supports it, it even says so in the owner's manual. And you can add CD-Text to your homemade CD's with most disc burning software.

#17 ·
I have played lots of CD's on my system, including the new dylan and stones albums, and have never seen an album or track name appear. The same CD's copied onto my ipod DO show the track names, so the info is there. I assumed our Pioneer nav units could not display the CD data. Are you sure you saw track labels on a CD and not the ipod input?

#18 ·
If you have an Internet connection when you put your CD in your laptop/PC, most software automatically connect to a database online and find the info. They then display it on the computer music player. If you decide to rip the CD, the infomation gets integrated into the MP3 (or some other format) files.

#20 ·
I just took a CD that is over 10 yrs old, disabled the internet connection on my pc, and media player showed the album title and song titles. I then took the same CD out to my RAV, and it did not display anything but the track numbers and time. I don't think it CAN display the song titles. The album cover that is displayed when using the ipod must be downloaded when the CD is transferred to ipod.

As for getting the song list for your new CD, try googling the title, or if you have CD burning software plug it in and let the software find the songlist online.

#22 ·
I had never played that CD on the PC before, but I did use ITunes to copy it to my Ipod, so as a test I just put it into a different computer I am certain it has never been played on. I unplugged it from the network first, then inserted the CD. Windows Media Player did not find the songs or title.

I then connected to the network and replayed the CD. At first it displayed "unknown artist" and "track 1" then it obviously went out and got the info off the net. I learned something new. Thanks. I would never have imagined that Itunes and Windows would share that sort of info, or that it was not on the CD in a format the player could read.

As for CD's disappearing, it's a marketing plot to suck us all into DRM so we cannot share music we purchase, just like buying e-books makes it impossible to pass them on after we read them.

#30 ·
Yeah, I guess not everybody remembers the joy of 8-track tapes getting stuck in the deck and then pulling out the cart with tape streaming out of it, the end wrapped around the wheel inside the deck. I had a Muntz deck in my '68 MG, and several times when this happened with the top down, I chucked the tape out and left it streaming behind me. (the first streaming audio?) It was fairly common back in the 70's to see tangles of tape along the road.

#32 ·
I tried playing MP3 music through the USB slot in my 2012 Rav4 (from a flash drive) and it shows the name of the singer and the name of the music from the "name" of the MP3 file. In my computer, I placed the name of the singer followed by two "--" marks and then the name of the song -- works like a champ! The radio sounds like garbage, but this music sounds pretty decent......

#33 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.