Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Looking to soften rear springs on 3rd row model

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  nhrav 
#1 ·
Looking to smooth ride..I went to a toyota parts site,and it had different p/n's for 3rd row seat and for non 3rd row..I'm hoping the non 3rd row springs are a tad softer as I never put anyone in them,nor carry heavy loads..Are they softer? Thank you,randy

#2 ·
Hey Randy, you're in the 4.4 forum. No third row seats (unfortunately) in this forum. Good luck with your search, however.

#3 ·
Thread moved to 4.3 Mechanical.

#5 ·
My understanding is that the third row model rear springs are stiffer than non-third row models.

#6 · (Edited)
I think you're right and thought someone posted the part numbers. May be call Toyota & ask for part numbers for yours and a two-row.

#9 ·
If I would decide to make suspension softer, I would probably use springs with variable stiffness, Like on older BMW, Mercedes. They are not cylindrical but rather barrel like. Big spring diameter in the middle and smaller diameter at the ends. This would make a real difference in ride quality.

#11 ·
Those springs leorav mentioned sound like a good idea..For all its good qualities,a leading automotive tester mentioned the suspension should have been better sorted by toyota..Anyone know who sells these? In the motorcycle community the are called "Progressive" springs..work well..btw,gryph,I'll post here when I have the springs off,anyone can have them no charge..Has anyone by chance rode in a 3row model compared to a 2 row? Much difference? I can tell you with 15 bags of mulch all the way in back its still a bit higher in rear than front..Cheers!

#12 ·
I put the H&R springs on my v6, 3row base Rav and I found that they work pretty well. I like them, anyway. They aren't linear like the factory springs, but they are lower and you'll need to get an alignment after installing them. If you install them, that is. You would probably be happy with the 4 cylinder 2 row springs and some gas shocks.

The H&R springs (I got from the TireRack) are about the same stiffness as the factory heavy duty springs that are stock in the 3 row ravs. The 3 row rav also has a larger anti-sway bar which can cause an increase in apparent spring rate if, for example, you hit a bump on one wheel the other wheel will react more with a stiffer bar.

Making the springs softer in the back will make the car tend to push more into a corner (understeer), but handling at the limit should not be an issue with you, I would guess. I haven't found the rav to handle all that well, it is an SUV, not a sports car, and it rides hard. I think it needs be stiff so it doesn't roll over as easily. It is an inherently high, tippy vehicle and if you make it too soft, it could roll over more easily in emergency situations. That is one reason I lowered mine an inch and a half.

But you won't make it too soft if you go with the factory springs. If the softer springs still aren't riding as well as you would like, you could also try lighter wheels and tires. The lighter you make the wheels, the less the body moves relative to the wheel when you hit a bump. That will be more expensive than a spring/shock change, though.

Best of luck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.