Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Class Action Lawsuit- oil consumption.

14K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  JuneBug 
#1 ·
#2 ·
New Investigations

Toyota and Scion Engine Oil Consumption – Class Action Lawsuit

Phase: Current
On March 31, 2014, Chimicles & Tikellis filed a class action lawsuit in the Northern District of California on behalf of Toyota and Scion owners and lessees experiencing engine oil consumption. The case was filed on behalf of Toyota and Scion vehicle owners and lessees with defective 2AZ-FE engines in the following model years (“MY”): MY 2007-2011 Toyota Camry HV, MY 2007-2009 Toyota Camry, MY 2009 Toyota Corolla, MY 2009 Toyota Matrix, MY 2006-2008 Toyota RAV4, MY 2007-2008 Toyota Solara, MY 2007-2009 Scion tC, and MY 2008-2009 Scion xB. The lawsuit alleges that these vehicles may contain defective pistons and/or piston rings in the engine causing excessive oil consumption. This design defect may be denied warranty coverage by the manufacturer and result in some owners having to pay for costly repairs to the engine. Toyota may even relay to customers that the excessive oil consumption is considered normal.
If you or someone you know has purchased or leased a Toyota or Scion and has experienced excessive oil consumption, please use the “Email us about this Case” button to contact the attorneys listed below.

Attachment:

inShare0​

Attorneys for this case:Joseph G. Sauder
Matthew D. Schelkopf
Joseph B. Kenney

inShare0​

361 West Lancaster Avenue, Haverford, PA 19041 | Phone: 610-642-8500

#9 ·
I'm not a legal expert but it is doubtful that any such legal action in the U.S. would include Canada. It would appear that type of lawsuit would need to be filed in Canada to be effective for Canadians.

#12 ·
candian owners? Where do they live, Candyland? Shame on you. :surprise

#13 · (Edited)
I sent them email, asked them are we included in Canada or not, or can they include us or not. I would say more members here with same issue contact them, I used ther "email us" and to be able to contact them I chose a state.

My Rav4 2006 is at 240K now and is eating oil like crazy, Please do not be careless about this issue, that can damage your engine or you have to fill it all the time.

#14 ·
I sent them email, asked them are we included in Canada or not, or can they include us or not. I would say more members here with same issue contact them, I used ther "email us" and to be able to contact them I chosed a state.

My Rav4 2006 is at 240K now and is eating oil like crazy, Please do nto be careless about this issue, that can damage your engine or you have to fill it all the time.
Assume you're talking kilometers, not miles? If so, that's not alot of miles.

#16 ·
Please Help, I'm screwed

Just came across this forum and this issue. I just bought a 2007 Rav4 4 cylinder yesterday, with 78K miles on it. It came with a dealership 12,000 mile 12 month warranty of the engine and drivetrain. I did some research on this model and saw a lotta positives, and I've owned a 95 Camry for years with hardly any problems. So the "Toyota reliability" stereotype played big in my mind. Good used cars are scarce in my part of Oregon and I was forced to a big dealership...I was under pressure from my wife bigtime to get a car quick. It drives good and we like the RAV4, but now I find this ****. I had no idea of this engine issue. Fellas, I need some good advice quick. I know I can't legally back out of a contract. What should I do to proactively monitor this oil usage issue? I bought this car under some financial duress, so I am panicked that I may face bigtime repairs here. Yes, I'm a schmuck. And I should know better because I usually due my research. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#17 ·
#20 ·
Patience, Ed. The wheels of justice can be agonizingly slow. :mad:

#21 ·
keep us updated, i've been monitoring my 2AR-FE engine 2009 Base 4WD model for 2 consecutive oil changes for just about 3000kms, my engine oil consumes from maximum down to just 3mm before reaching the minimum level. wow, thats a lot hey?

my rav4 just at 115K plus kms. you can see my exhaust tail pipe lips are black colour build-up.

i'll post some photos when i can.

#22 ·
This is the first time I've heard anyone complain that the 2.5L 2AR engine burns oil. The class action lawsuit is over the 2.4L 2AZ engine, which is a totally different design. And a black tailpipe or black smoke is an indication of unburned gasoline, not oil. Burning oil shows up as a bluish smoke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.