Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Buyers Remorse

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Blogson 
#1 ·
Bought a used 2006 4 banger and boy do I regret it. Drinking oil and now the water pump is leaking. 80,000 miles!!! I have had for less than 3 months and put 3000 miles on it. Hell, I've on changed the oil once! Jeez, what is this the 1970's? This is 2014. Come on Toyota get your sh** together. I guess I'll replace it and trade this beast in. Very disappointed from the sagging sun visor to the shake, rattle, and roll of this thing. Whats next? Tranny?:mad: The worst part about it is that we bought this from an aquaintence of ours.:surprise

#2 ·
Next time don't buy the first year of a new design. Wait until the 2nd or 3rd year to make sure all the bugs are worked out.

#8 ·
If you read the questions here about people thinking of buying a 4.3, pretty much everyone recommends 2009 or later, as by then they had cured the oil burning problem (by using a different engine) and other issues that occurred on the early models.

#9 ·
I didn't do my homework as I should have either so you don't have to feel like the Lone Ranger. Just lucky I bought a used 09 I4 that doesn't burn a drop of oil...sorry to hear of your plight.:frown

#14 ·
I paid $11,000 for it with 76,000 miles. Sitting a shop now waiting to have the water pump/oil changed tomorrow. Anything else I can look forward to fixing on a car with well under 100,000 miles on it?:mad: Should of bought a Ford Festiva and saved about $7000.
assides from the oil burning there were'nt that many problems... the water pump problems were mostly on the V6 models (my 2007 had 2 water pumps go back in 50,000km)

believe me, in a couple of years, you would of had a lot more problems with the Festiva, my buddy has one, tons of electrical problems! rather have a mechanical problem that you can fix, than electrical problems that they can't pinpoint...

#15 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Previous owner did do the tranny fluid at or around 70,000 miles. Tires are decent. Emergency brake handle has nothing left in it. Goes all the way up to a vertical position when engaged. Maybe I need rear brakes?:confused: Glad this is the wife's car. I'll keep my 98 Camry thats flawless and has been trouble free with 148,000 miles. Now, thats how cars should be made. Felt awkward dropping off a 2006 for service and driving away in a 98!!:D

#19 ·
My son is a tech @ a local Honda dealer here in town. (I know "why didn't I buy a Honda) Anyway, he sees more 2006-2014 models in for service than he does late 90's and early 2000 models. He says the new parts are junk and they keep making them cheaper to stay competitive and keep prices down on new models. He drives a 1992 Honda Civic with 320,000 miles on it and it it runs and looks brand new. No oil leaks and uses way less oil than this POS Rav I just bought.:crying

#21 ·
This is very true. Mid 1990's hondas top the list of most stolen cars for this very reason.

The new car prices went up slower than inflation in tghe last couple of decades. Thus cars have to made cheaper now then in the past. Fortunately, the electronic controls keep them reasonably reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.