Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Synthetic Oil Change Interval Confusion

20K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  vanib 
#1 ·
So I just turned over 25k miles on my 2012 RAV4 (4 cyl), and I've been taking it in every 5k miles for the oil change as provided under Toyota Care. The service guy at the dealer has mentioned, on multiple occasions, that if I switch to synthetic I can increase my interval to every 10k miles.

But today I was searching around on toyota.com and found the following in a FAQ:
Toyota Owners - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
-Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE & 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)
-Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.
The 4 cyl. engine in my RAV4 is one of those engines which can run on either 0w-20 or 5w-20, so according to this FAQ I should continue to change it every 5k miles, even with synthetic. So who do I believe, the dealer or the FAQ?

#2 ·
So I just turned over 25k miles on my 2012 RAV4 (4 cyl), and I've been taking it in every 5k miles for the oil change as provided under Toyota Care. The service guy at the dealer has mentioned, on multiple occasions, that if I switch to synthetic I can increase my interval to every 10k miles.

But today I was searching around on toyota.com and found the following in a FAQ:
Toyota Owners - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

The 4 cyl. engine in my RAV4 is one of those engines which can run on either 0w-20 or 5w-20, so according to this FAQ I should continue to change it every 5k miles, even with synthetic. So who do I believe, the dealer or the FAQ?
Yes, 5000 miles 5w-20

https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/pdf/T-TT-0005-10.pdf

#4 ·
opinion.

I too have a 2012 i4 that just turned 25K.

I had to perform the 25k service myself as I was 1 week past the 2 year mark.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/161521-toyota-care-no-more.html

I went with Mobile 1 synthetic. However I will still be changing the oil every 5K for at least the next interval to change out due to the non OEM filter and to monitor the oil. A warrant nazi did bring up the dreaded "void" word.

I think it will be fine for up to 10K, and will defiantly be doing so after the warranty. My mind is not made up what to do in the interim. The only TRUE way to know is to get a oil sample test from blackstone labs or similar.
Blackstone Labs

I think alot of this need to change the oil idea is a hold over from the oil company's "3K oil change" campaign. I do not think oil degrades as fast as people are lead to believe.

One should red the blackstone labs nissan truck oil test. 122K miles on the oil and it was "not bad". Last page of report.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/June-1-2012.php

#7 ·
The dealer is saying every 10,000 miles because Toyota has approved some of the older models to go for that long when they use 0w-20 oil. Some of the mechanics think that the Ravs are apart of this approved list but they are not. I was chatting with my local dealer about it and they said that the Rav4 is not approved do to some slight variations in the engine set up. The 2014 models are now apart of the 10,000 mile oil change.

#8 ·
The dealer is saying every 10,000 miles because Toyota has approved some of the older models to go for that long when they use 0w-20 oil. Some of the mechanics think that the Ravs are apart of this approved list but they are not. I was chatting with my local dealer about it and they said that the Rav4 is not approved do to some slight variations in the engine set up. The 2014 models are now apart of the 10,000 mile oil change.
2013 is also 10000 miles 0w20

#10 ·
Synthetic oil has 3 primary advantages (in no particular order):

1. Better cold flow properties. Definitely an advantage if you're one of the Ice Road Truckers, but also helps with start-up wear for those of us in more temperate climates.

2. Greater resistance to thermal breakdown. This is a fancy way of saying it take take the heat. If you regularly drive with a max load, or do any towing, synthetic can be useful here.

3. Usually has a premium additive pack. This is the major part that allows one to go 10,000 miles between changes, but as mentioned should be monitored carefully for the first change or two.

Having said all of the above, is it worth it to use synthetic for 5,000 miles? Not in a purely financial sense, but perhaps yes if you plan on keeping your car as long as possible.

FWIW, Toyota's 0W-20, fondly referred to as TGMO on the oil-nerd sites, is highly regarded and is easily capable of 10,000 intervals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.