Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Front rotor removal 2009 RAV4

17K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  RAVN4RED 
#1 ·
Just did a search and didn't find what i was looking for.
How do you remove the Front rotor? Doesn't have the cotter pin like was used years ago.

#2 ·
First thing is to pull the caliper and suspend it out of the way. Then look for the 2 threaded holes in the rotor. These are to help press the rotor away from the hub. Clean them out well and insert the correct bolts. I believe they are a fine threaded metric size. Liberal application of something like PB Blaster or WD 40 and apply force evenly to the 2 bolts. Some rapping and heat may be needed as well. It will eventually break free..... hopefully.
I used an anti-sieze compound when I replaced them.

Good luck
Steve

#8 ·
No, look at this still from the video--the rotor has been removed and the nut has not been touched:

#7 ·
Remove the lug nuts. Do not attempt to remove the axle nut.

Turn down your speakers, and take a look at It is not a Toyota, but it may work similarly for you. See if that video inspires you.

There are bolt holes in the rotor intended to let you screw bolts into to give some separation pressure. M8 on the bolts. I suspect it is a M8 x 1.25

After you get the bolts pressing, pound some without damaging the rotor if you will reuse it.

#10 ·
Older 4x4 trucks and older RWD platforms, you generally had to take the axle nut off, as the rotor was integral with the bearing race.

That is not the case here - the rotor is separate from the hub. As mentioned, remove caliper and suspended it carefully out of the away - I use a bent coat hanger wire or velcro strap - tie the caliper to the front spring, making sure not to twist/damage the brake flexline. Remove the caliper mounting bracket - has two big bolts from the back side, need lots of PB Blaster or similar - cheater bar helps, if you don't have impact tools. Once that is off, the rotor could should just fall right off - or if is corrosion welded to the hub, use some M8-1.25 machine bolts in the two threaded holes on the hat of the rotor - evenly tighten those and that rotor will press right off the hub.

#12 ·
These bolts threaded right in and two quarter turns later rear rotors came right off my '06 RAV. 10.9 steel hex bolts from Small Parts seller on Amazon (First post so can't include link)
The rotors are floating. I jsut did mine a couple of weeks ago. The reason why they are not jsut fall off is due to the rust on the back side with the hub. The bolts are M6 x 1 I think. Nice that the OE rotors have the press thread holes. Otherwise you would jsut need to wack it with a big hammer.

The 10.9 stampped on the head is the grade rating not the size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.