Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Notchy Steering

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Dr. Dyno 
#1 ·
When the vehicle is cold, I can feel distinct notches in the steering, especially right off center. So when driving down a straight road, to keep the vehicle straight I keep alternating between a couple notches. Once the vehicle warms up it goes away and is completely smooth.

As I understand it, we have electric power steering in the 2008 V6's? So it's not pump or belt. I don't have the intermediate shaft clunk either, so there's no bad noises out of the steering. I've also checked tie rods, ball joints, etc of the front suspension just to make sure nothing is loose.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
I hate to say it, but it sounds like a bad intermediate steering shaft. There is no noise associated with it, just a "clunk" feeling in the wheel.

#5 ·
When the vehicle is cold, I can feel distinct notches in the steering, especially right off center. So when driving down a straight road, to keep the vehicle straight I keep alternating between a couple notches. Once the vehicle warms up it goes away and is completely smooth.

As I understand it, we have electric power steering in the 2008 V6's? So it's not pump or belt. I don't have the intermediate shaft clunk either, so there's no bad noises out of the steering. I've also checked tie rods, ball joints, etc of the front suspension just to make sure nothing is loose.

Any ideas?
Hey! I have exactly the same feeling and I have replaced the intermediary shaft. It didn’t help. Did you end up figuring out your issue?

#6 ·
You won't hear from the OP since that was from 2014 and he hasn't been on the forum since 2016. But we have heard a lot of EPS issued being fixed with a new battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.