Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Changed steel to alloy rims, same size, abs light on after 3 weeks

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Steinhoff 
#1 ·
Hello guys im new here, I've had a 2007 2wd auto rav4 about a year now. 3 weeks ago I changed its toyota steel rims for the toyota alloy rims (same size 17"), and today when I started the engine the abs light turned on and now it always turns on. Dont understand how this could happen with original sized rims. Cant stop thinking its related with the rims changed. What do you think?

Regards,
Bruce

#3 ·
Pure coincidence IMO. Read the Skid Control ECU codes to find out what's wrong. Could be just a dirty ABS sensor.

Reactions: Steinhoff
#4 ·
Exactly same tires.. total diameter not changed, i've checked abs fuse,lifted the wheels checking for bearing noises, no play, just a very low dragging noise when rotated but i suppose its normal since the 4 wheels make it, brake pads have about 110000kms so are pretty worn out, the abs sensor cables seem ok but connectors are pretty dirty. I'll try to get it scanned to obtain the code.

#5 ·
has nothing to do with the wheels.....unless you broke a sensor while changing them.....about a month ago i went from stock 235-55-18 to 235-65-17 and have had no issues......get the code read and go from there.....just know that the wheels themselves have nothing to do with causing that light......

#6 ·
Reading the non-check engine codes can be done with the jumper shown here: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...ht-vsc-4wd-lights-explained-8.html#post877055
When I was having ABS sensor issues (I've since replaced both rear ones) I used a small paper clip. (I now have a $300 Autel Scanner that reads all codes on all cars.)
I'd suggest resetting the codes by turning the ignition on with the jumper in place and immediately hitting the brake pedal 8 times. Then check them again after driving a few miles. You get quite a light show but count only the ABS flash pattern. A continuous steady flash means no error detected with that system.

#7 ·
Ok guys thank you very much for the help, It seems my rav4 model doesnt have vsc, since it doesnt have vsc light or the vsc fuse slots whatsoever.

i've done the jumper test and the abs light is flashing code 49. It corresponds to Open in Stop Light Switch Circuit item?

#13 ·
JuneBug's our administrator. He knows everything!
Remote starters connect to the brake light circuit. Something could have gone wrong there.

#15 ·
To admin: understood.
About the rfid starter, its been a year working ok so i hope its not necessary to touch it. Last thing i did before the abs light going on was me washing the car so i will check for humidity in rear cables. Also if i just reset the codes the light should still go on if the problem persists?

#16 ·
Also if i just reset the codes the light should still go on if the problem persists?
Yes, that's why I recommended it. The problem may have gone away on it's own.

Reactions: Steinhoff
#18 ·
Ok, tested the car today and after 2 miles the abs light is on again.. gonna start checking cables.. hope the code 49 is trustworthy.
Also, after i changed the rims, i noticed the car lost alignment (goes a little to the right) and got a little noisier, so i got it balanced and to alignment, but it still goes a little to the right, so im worrying about the bearings.

#20 ·
In this thread, the OP finds that "49" was actually C1249 - Open circuit brake pedal switch and a new switch fixed his issue.
From post 7 it seems our OP is interpreting the 49 the same as a C1249. I had the same code a couple years ago. Turned out I'd disconnected a ground from a trailer light converter.
Good sleuthing on the ---shire lads. Appears several goowt it sorted the same way - a new brake switch. I wonder if it could just need adjusted.

#21 ·
Hi guys I checked the cables and brake light switch, everything seemed ok. Also I gently sprayed the lights and brake light switch connectors with contact cleaner and the abs light turned off (didnt even had to reset ecu). Now its been two days off so it seems the problem is fixed, never underestimate the power of a good ol' contact cleaner!, I also fixed a faulty back door light switch this way when i bought the car.

I truely appreciate all your help with this matter, and hope you enjoy this great car as much as i do.

Best regards,
Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.