Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Dealer says 2011 2.5L "does not take" full synthetic oil

13K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Blogson 
#1 ·
This was a shocker - I dropped off my son's 2011 Rav4 2.5L for its first oil change since buying it as a certified car. I have run full synthetic in 8 Toyotas from a Matrix to a Sienna. I asked for a full synthetic change, left the car and when my son went to pick it up, they had changed it to conventional (with no attempt to contact us). My son was told "this car does not take synthetic oil". I looked in the manual and it specifies 0w-20 or 5w-20. I thought all 0w-20 was synthetic. I hunted around and found this from Toyota which does state the Rav4 should use conventional oil:

http://www.settraining.com/content/course-codes/12_07_HS_Toyota_Engines_and_Synthetic_Oil1.pdf

Anybody else ever run into this? I'm pissed that they did this without confirming with me - this is a dealer I have used for 15 years where I have bought numerous cars. If I am willing to pay for it, why should they care if I want synthetic?

Thanks for your thoughts.

#3 ·
There have been numerous posts about oil, conventional vs. synthetic, even related to Toyota recommendations. But as exemplified by the http://www.settraining.com/content/c...hetic_Oil1.pdf chart Toyota's recommendations appear to be bonkers. Examples: Camry with 2AR-FE I4 engine - synthetic.
RAV4 with 2AR-FE I4 engine - conventional. Sienna and others with 2GR-FE V6 engine - synthetic.
RAV4 with 2GR-FE V6 engine - conventional.

There have been lots of conjectures about the apparent discrepancies, one being that with the RAV being a SUV with perhaps more severe usage conventional oil has more ability to resist breakdown, but that actually may or may not be true. It would appear that any oil which meets the weight and API ratings required by Toyota should be suitable, whether conventional or synthetic.

#4 ·
There have been lots of conjectures about the apparent discrepancies, one being that with the RAV being a SUV with perhaps more severe usage conventional oil has more ability to resist breakdown,
Rather the opposite AFAIK

It would appear that any oil which meets the weight and API ratings required by Toyota should be suitable, whether conventional or synthetic.
Bingo.

Just because they spec conventional oil doesn't mean synthetic is bad for the engine. It just means that conventional oil does the job. Synthetics (especially the quality synthetics like Mobil One, Red Line, etc.) are better in pretty much every way. Whether or not they are worth the extra expense is a judgement call. I use Mobil One 0W30 because I live in Minnesota and I like oil that still flows when temps are below zero.

In the end, the fact that you make sure your engine has oil and change it regularly is more important than what kind you use.

#5 ·
Just another know-nothing know-it-all dealer. :surprise

#6 ·
^^^what they said^^^

Just because a vehicle doesn't require synthetic doesn't mean it can't be used. Your dealer was very wrong.

BTW, all 0W-20 IS synthetic by default.

Having said all that, unless you are using an extended oil change interval or you are really hard on your car, conventional will be fine for 5,000 miles. No sense wasting it, just go back to syn at the next change. No harm, no foul.

#9 ·
^^^what they said^^^

Just because a vehicle doesn't require synthetic doesn't mean it can't be used. Your dealer was very wrong.

BTW, all 0W-20 IS synthetic by default.

Having said all that, unless you are using an extended oil change interval or you are really hard on your car, conventional will be fine for 5,000 miles. No sense wasting it, just go back to syn at the next change. No harm, no foul.

Not Quite correct. Honda, Quaker State, Motorcraft, and others offer a 0W20 synthetic blend.

#7 ·
I would take it back to the dealer and tell them you told them you wanted a certain oil so they WILL drain and refill including a new filter with the oil you wanted. You are the customer, it's your money and your vehicle and perhaps they will learn that they are not in charge, YOU ARE!:serious

#8 ·
Thanks

Thank you all. I think I'll call the dealer parts department and confirm that the Toyota 0w-20 is indeed synthetic and then point out to the service manager that the user manual in fact suggests this (synth) oil and ask why the hell they arbitrarily made this decision especially with no contact.

#10 ·
Thank you all. I think I'll call the dealer parts department and confirm that the Toyota 0w-20 is indeed synthetic and then point out to the service manager that the user manual in fact suggests this (synth) oil and ask why the hell they arbitrarily made this decision especially with no contact.
I agree with RF Overlord, just let it ride this time. Getting into a pissing contest or trying to educate idiots may make you feel better but only get you less cooperation in the future when something really matters.

#11 ·
The Toyota link in the first post is worded so poorly it is laughable:

In fact, the
only 2012 Toyotas that cannot use
synthetic oil are the Avalon, 3.5-liter
RAV4, 4.0-liter Tacoma and Yaris.
Everything else uses synthetic, or can
use synthetic or conventional.

What they are trying to say is their 0W20 is not recommended in those particular engines. The way it reads is that synthetics are not permitted in those engines. Toyo's oil requirements and oil change requirements have been in a state of flux for years and wording like that above damn sure doesn't help. My car has less than 18,000 miles and I HAD to have 12 oil changes during that time to maintain warranty. THAT is nuts. I'm surprised the oil pan drain bolt isn't stripped.

With that said I would be ticked off at the dealer too. It appears that when you say synthetic oil to them all they know is 0W20 genuine Toyota oil.......nothing else exists. Then they decide if you need it or not.

#13 ·
There apparently is something even more weird taking place. As I noted in my first post the Toyota doc. about whether to use conventional or synthetic says, for example, that for Siennas and other Toyotas with the same 2GR-FE V6 engine as the RAV4 synthetic is to be used, while for the RAV4 V6 conventional is to be used..

#12 ·
When a quick oil change facility where I live installed oil which was suitable but not what was best in a Hyundai I owned and I discovered that after I had driven home, I returned to the business and had them drain the oil and replace it with the correct oil. I had said that they didn't need to change the filter even though it contained some oil, but the manager had the tech change it nonetheless. On subsequent visits I had no problems.

#15 ·
When I asked my Dealer to use synthetic in my 2010 V6 Limited they said no problemo; they used Mobil 1 brand, 100% synthetic 5W30. Been using it ever since the second oil change four years ago. (68,000+ miles so far).

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.