Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Custom Lightweight NST Crankshaft Pulley

5K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  ewilda100 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to have NST (NonStopTuning) design a custom lightweight crankshaft pulley for my 2010 3.5ltr Toyota RAV4 V6 (Sport/AWD). I purchased a stock pulley for them to take measurements. I'm sending the pulley out today and will update as I get more info. I have requested that the lightweight pulley have the stock diameter, NOT underdriven. This is all for now.

Here are pics of both sides of the stock crankshaft pulley -->

Here is a picture of the stock weight of the crankshaft pulley -->
Weight is 1841g (4.06lbs)

BTW: I'm familiar with the purpose of harmonic dampeners, crankshaft vibrations and all the concerns around this. I've already researched this. I'm comfortable with this decision. Thanks!

**Update 11/2/15**
Lightweight NST Pulley has Arrived

Front of stock pulley is on left, Front of NST pulley is on the right

Back of stock pulley is on left, Back of NST pulley is on right.

NST pulley weight is 648g (1.43lbs)

Weight savings from using lightweight NST pulley is 1193g (2.63lbs)

See less See more
#2 ·
What would a lightweight crankshaft pulley do to improve performance? I really have no idea what the part is or where it goes? I don't have enough mechanical knowledge :(

#7 ·
**UPDATE 3/30/15**

Update sent to me today -->

"Hi Kevin

Thank you for the support and the continued patience. Much appreciated!

Your custom pulleys are both scheduled to go on the machines in early
April. We will update you with more info at that time. We expect your
custom pulleys to be apx 70% lighter than OEM.

Thanks again!

NST Customer Service
NonStopTuning | NST USA
facebook.com/NonStopTuningUSA
instagram.com/NonStopTuning"

This is all for now!

#8 ·
**UPDATE 10/29/15**​

The pulley is made and will be on its way shortly. I will post up pics, weight information, etc when it arrives.

All I can tell you is that the color I have is red (I'm cool with any color to be honest). I'm happy about this is an understatement. I will not be dynoing this car for before and after horsepower/torque numbers. I will be testing this for 1/4 mile information. An improved 60ft time is expected with maybe 1/10th of a second shaved off in my 1/4 mile times or more. Also, hoping to be consistently run a trap speed of 100mph+. Quicker throttle response and a slightly better gas mileage is expected (Less rotational mass). How much less weight it has, I will document of course.

This is all for now!

#9 ·
**UPDATE 10/29/15**​

The pulley is made and will be on its way shortly. I will post up pics, weight information, etc when it arrives.

All I can tell you is that the color I have is red (I'm cool with any color to be honest). I'm happy about this is an understatement. I will not be dynoing this car for before and after horsepower/torque numbers. I will be testing this for 1/4 mile information. An improved 60ft time is expected with maybe 1/10th of a second shaved off in my 1/4 mile times or more. Also, hoping to be consistently run a trap speed of 100mph+. Quicker throttle response and a slightly better gas mileage is expected (Less rotational mass). How much less weight it has, I will document of course.

This is all for now!
Just curious, what does something like this cost?

#10 ·
I look forward to the results!

In the day when we tried to hotrod our VW Type 1 engines we lightened the pulley-wheels and the flywheel and under-drove the alternator (thus the cooling fan). Sometimes it helped, and once a guy lightened his flywheel so much that if he missed a shift the engine stopped!

#14 ·
Myxalplyx Are you still running with the NST pulley? If so what pros and cons did you research before settling on the decision. I bought one for my 2011 4 cyl (normal diameter like yours) and things I have to consider is the 1000+ watt sound system. I believe the problem I had with my HO alternator was belt slip since it appears it does have an overdrive pulley, so I got a shorter belt for when I put the HO alt back in. Do you believe a lightweight crank pulley would be good or bad in my application? Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.