Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

VVT gear replacement question need help

12K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sailspirit 
#1 ·
Guys first of all thanks for allowing me to become a member of this great site full of knowledge.Dealership told me that my 09 rav needed the vvt gear replaced because on cold starts it was making a loud rattling noise,it started off pretty quiet then got louder.Well i paid the dealership to fix it and when i picked it up it was already warm but when i got off work it was ice cold and when i started it the noise was still there just quieter.I took it back but havent heard back yet.has anyone had this problem and will it just come back and most of all how bad for the engine is this problem.It only does it on cold starts and only last about 2 seconds then goes away.

#2 ·
There is a TSB for brief cold engine rattle. (log in to view the TSBs):
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106-4-3-tsbs/87330-t-sb-0146-10-brief-engine-knock-rattle-noise-cold-startup-1ar-2ar-06-09-2010-a.html
Don't know how serious this is, but certainly can't be good. There is some discussion about maybe 0W-20 oil too thin, but not conclusive. Seems unlikely, but I've stuck with 5w-20 just in case.

You're probably well past warranty but it is covered under powertrain to 60k-miles. My VIN is in range mentioned in TSB, but no noise at 75k-miles; have the extended warranty to 100k, so will keep listening. Let us know how it goes for you--seems like the dealer needs to make it right.

#3 ·
VVT1 repair bank one

Check TSB 0041-13 - brief engine knock/rattle noise upon start-up. I have a '08 RAV4 V6. Trouble with this problem x 6 mons before Toyota dealer finally heard it on cold startup. The service mgr & their best tech immediately said "VVT bank one". I was under 60K yet right at 5 yrs so I asked for 100% repair in full. They agreed to do 50% courtesy and gave me a rental at no cost (had the RAV 4 days). I also had them replace the water pump although it was not needed yet, the labor for water pump alone is $600. Yet they only charged me $99 for the actual water pump because easy to change out once they have access when replacing the VVT 1. I also filed a claim with Toyota USA to get the other 50% back as this was too close & too concidental to the powertrain warranty timeframe and I am still in dialog (= battling) Toyota for the remaining 50% ($1200). I think that I posted this already on RAV4world, so apologies if duplicate. Good luck!:smile

#4 ·
Well got the car back,but the service writer said the rattle is still there but that its totaly normal cold start up noise since i have 124,000 miles,i can say the noise is almost none existent you can just barely hear it when you start the car when its ice cold,they told me it has 12 months unlimited mileage warranty on work if it gets louder bring it back.Not sure what to think guys.

#5 ·
I had the VVT gear replaced last August. It was 6 months out of warranty but between the dealership and Toyota Canada I paid only 25% of the cost. I was actually in for service last week and I had them check it out again as I thought I could hear the same rattle (much quieter though). The tech couldn't hear any issues.

I also had them replace the water pump although it was not needed yet, the labor for water pump alone is $600.
Really? I had my water pump replaced last week at the dealership and the whole cost was $308 plus tax.

#6 ·
VVT Gear, water pump

rob2009: when the dealer quoted $600 total for water pump repair my local mechanic confirmed it was not leaking at that time (yrs ago) they were slow in service & 'begging' for business . When the water pump was replaced at the same time as the VVT repair ('cause they were 'in there already') the water pump part cost $99. Yup, $500 for labor in the past, crazy, glad that I did not believe them at the time.

stefan: here is a link for the VVT rattle on cold start up (maybe yours is not as big a problem sa the VVT). or google "2007 Toyota Rav4 Grinding Noise After Starting"
https://youtu.be/9TL9tD4O8Ww

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.