Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2009 V6 blowing smoke

10K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Blogson 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and hoping to get some help with my problem. I drive a 2009 V6 with 110000 km's. The other week while driving on the highway I noticed a big cloud of smoke behind my car when accelerating from 80km to 100kmph. I had never seen this before when driving in town on short trips, this was the first time I had it out on the highway. It happened again on that same trip when accelerating from 60km quickly to 100kmph. This time the cloud was so thick that I lost sight of the car behind me. I told the dealer what was happening but they were unable recreate the smoke show and told me to keep an eye on it. It just happend again after a long drive on the highway. I stopped at a gas station and let it idle while my wife ran in. After idling for a couple minutes I merged back onto the highway accelerating quickly and again a big plume of smoke in my rear view. The smoke is white/blue. My oil seemed to be stable and coolant doesn't seem to be dissapearing from the reservoir. Any ideas? Maybe a PCV issue? Thanks

#2 ·
Could it be bad gas?

#4 ·
Then I don't know. Sounds scary

#5 ·
Sorry to hear that, that's really intense! You could try a fuel system cleaner in a new tank of gas (like Chevron Techron), and then put in Premium at a reputable major gas chain, as Veliksam stated (ie, not cheap gas) and see if that helps. At the very least it'll clean up your fuel system and make the engine run better, you never know. :seriousGood luck!

#6 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and hoping to get some help with my problem. I drive a 2009 V6 with 110000 km's. The other week while driving on the highway I noticed a big cloud of smoke behind my car when accelerating from 80km to 100kmph. I had never seen this before when driving in town on short trips, this was the first time I had it out on the highway. It happened again on that same trip when accelerating from 60km quickly to 100kmph. This time the cloud was so thick that I lost sight of the car behind me. I told the dealer what was happening but they were unable recreate the smoke show and told me to keep an eye on it. It just happend again after a long drive on the highway. I stopped at a gas station and let it idle while my wife ran in. After idling for a couple minutes I merged back onto the highway accelerating quickly and again a big plume of smoke in my rear view. The smoke is white/blue. My oil seemed to be stable and coolant doesn't seem to be dissapearing from the reservoir. Any ideas? Maybe a PCV issue? Thanks
First time on the highway ??? I assume you bought the car used.

What is the oil change history on the car ... do you know ?? When was the last oil change and what type of oil?

When you say the oil is stable .... what do you mean ?? When properly maintained, these engines create very little "blowby" (gasses that escape through the pistone rings that contaminate the oil) and the oil tends to stay rather clean looking and consume little or no oil.

If the car has a poor oil change history and / or short trip driving in cold weather, the PCV valve could in fact be clogged. Although they rarely need replacing before 160,000+ km (100,000+ miles), you could have a faulty one.

Blue smoke means burning oil. This is a dangerous condition. Since it only does it part of the time .... if not a PCV issue, it could mean faulty valve seals but I've never heard of that on the 3.5L V6 engine.

You should be monitoring the engine oil level carefully. It is hard to get a good reading on the dipstick with a hot engine so only check the oil after sitting eight full hours. You only get one chance at a good reading so pull it out and read it ..... then wipe it off and reinsert it. If you are driving only short trips, condensation can build up in the oil which distorts oil consumption so make certain the engine has run at least 30 continous minutes the day before you check the oil level. My 09 Camry V6 (same engine as yours) never moves off the full mark between 7,000 mile Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30 oil changes and the oil never looks "dirty."

Best wishes.

#7 ·
Paul,

Yes I bought the car used. I wasn't completely aware of the maintenance/oil change history but thought still a safe bet from a reputable dealer and the vehicle is immaculate inside and out which made me think it was cared for. All I really know is that the dealer completed an oil change and other basic maintenance before I bought it. When I say "stable" I meant no visible change in oil levels.

The first time the smoke cloud showed up was my first time on the highway. Then it has been a few weeks with no symptoms and no highway driving. I just completed a 1000km round trip this this weekend and that's where the smoke showed up again only when accelerating hard (merging to highway etc). The most noticeable was when slowing to 50 through a construction zone and then accelerating to 100 after the zone.

I checked the oil before and after this trip and have definitely lost a liter or so and looks kind of dirty for oil with only 2500km since the last change. I think I will try and pull the PCV and have a look, followed by a full synthetic oil change.

Paul your comments were very helpful, thanks a lot!

cheers

#15 ·
... I just completed a 1000km round trip this this weekend and that's where the smoke showed up again only when accelerating hard (merging to highway etc). The most noticeable was when slowing to 50 through a construction zone and then accelerating to 100 after the zone.

I checked the oil before and after this trip and have definitely lost a liter or so and looks kind of dirty for oil with only 2500km since the last change.
The smoke on acceleration is consistent with twinn and KSNancy's comments but I wouldn't expect valve stem issues on a 6 year-old engine, maybe a 26 year-old one.
Also I've never heard the V6 engine using ANY oil. Mine doesn't.
Both issues point to a very poorly maintained, if not an abused engine, as Paul3637 notes.

But in the long run maybe treating it properly from now on and just driving it is the best approach. A little STP may help too. The only downside would be an eventual clogging of the catalytic converter.

I hope it turns out to be something simple but it isn't looking that way. And perhaps most disturbing is that the seller or person trading it in most likely knew about these issues.

Reactions: Paul3637
#8 ·
Although this should not be the situation with the amount of kms (Canada?)/mileage on your vehicle the problem sounds like it could be worn piston rings, especially with the oil consumption problem. A bad PCV shouldn't ordinarily pull oil out of the crankcase, but hopefully that or something else which is relatively inexpensive to replace or repair is the problem. However, it may be necessary to have an engine cylinder compression check done - unfortunately if compression is low it may necessitate an expensive engine teardown. Good luck!

#9 ·
Thanks Blogson,

Yes, I'm Canadian, hence the KM's not Miles!

I had a look at the PCV. When I pulled the hose off there was some fresh looking oil where the valve and hose connect. Also noticed the inside of the hose is kind of gummed up/dirty looking, I assume this is not the way it should look when the PCV system is functioning properly?

I'll be heading to the dealership ASAP and hoping they will accommodate me and have a look.

#11 ·
Thanks Blogson,

Yes, I'm Canadian, hence the KM's not Miles!

I had a look at the PCV. When I pulled the hose off there was some fresh looking oil where the valve and hose connect. Also noticed the inside of the hose is kind of gummed up/dirty looking, I assume this is not the way it should look when the PCV system is functioning properly?

I'll be heading to the dealership ASAP and hoping they will accommodate me and have a look.
PCV system as you described is almost a clear cut sign of poor oil change histroy. I'd be willing to bet the prior owner let it go at least 20,000+ kms more than once. I agree that a compression check is now in order.

I suggest you register your vehilce on Toyota.com and check the vehicle history.

The only other possible problem I can think of is if your car had the oil line fail .... and it was fixed under the recall that extended the warranty ... but there was ancillary engine damage not detected at the time when the car ran out of oil. See:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-...-fails-dealer-wont-cover-damages-warning.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-...ine-rav4-camry-lexus-oil-hose-failing-51.html

This issue affected 1.6 million V6 engines manufactured prior to April/May 2008 which included a small number of 2009 Rav4's. Check your build date and make sure you have an all metal oil line on the fromt bank (you can see it by looking roughly above the right front wheel with the hood up and a flashlight) and comparative pictures are on the first link above at post #7.

In the USA, the recall date and post warranty repairs have been extended to December 2021 (that is not a typo).
If the dealer you bought it from is really "reputable," they should work with you on this. I assume it was not a Toyota dealer. If they let you hang out to dry ...... I suggest running Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W30 oil (it contains high amounts of detergent to clean out the sludge ... although Mobil 1 is extremetly effective) and just keep putting in that ridiculous amount of oil as long as the car keeps running.

An engine rebuild at a dealer can cost more than the car is worth. There was someone on the Highlander forum with this same engine that went about 25K miles without an oil change and it required an engine rebuild. The dealer quoted her $10K + but she had an independent mechanic do it for $3,500.

The other cost effective solution is to buy a used engine. There are plenty on the market. I dealt with someone with this same engine on the Lexus ES350 forums that had her oil line go out post warranty ....... which at first Lexus would not pay for. She put in a used engine installed by a Toyota dealer at a cost of $3,500. In the end, Lexus reimbursed her the full $3,500. Properly maintained the 2GR-FE V6 engine is good for at least 400,000+ kms.

#10 ·
Does the PCV open and close as it should? If it is stuck in the closed position that could cause some exhaust smoke but not usually clouds of it. Hopefully the dealer's service department is honest and well qualified. PCVs and related hardware can have some deposits, but usually the amount of deposits increases with time, and with more cylinder wear the amount of combustion blowby increases and so does the likelihood of proportionately more deposits in the CCV and PCV systems.

Have you checked to make certain that there isn't some other possible cause, such as an oil leak which could be leaking oil onto the hot exhaust system?

#13 ·
Wow, lot's of great information. Thanks everyone. Looks like I really have to hope that the dealership works with me on this. Sounds like it could be a number of potentially expensive issues!

The car has otherwise been running good, no hesitation, no loud noises from the engine. I did notice a puff of blue smoke on start up for the first time yesterday. First time that has happened.

I'll be on the phone with the dealership today.

#14 ·
Like twin said, valve stem seals will let oil get sucked into the engine, mainly when you coast/idle. Then the next time you accelerate you get a momentary cloud of smoke.
Since the engine is still running strong, the rest of the engine might be OK. But a compression test or leak down test will tell for sure.

#16 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and hoping to get some help with my problem. I drive a 2009 V6 with 110000 km's. The other week while driving on the highway I noticed a big cloud of smoke behind my car when accelerating from 80km to 100kmph. I had never seen this before when driving in town on short trips, this was the first time I had it out on the highway. It happened again on that same trip when accelerating from 60km quickly to 100kmph. This time the cloud was so thick that I lost sight of the car behind me. I told the dealer what was happening but they were unable recreate the smoke show and told me to keep an eye on it. It just happened again after a long drive on the highway. I stopped at a gas station and let it idle while my wife ran in. After idling for a couple minutes I merged back onto the highway accelerating quickly and again a big plume of smoke in my rear view. The smoke is white/blue. My oil seemed to be stable and coolant doesn't seem to be disappearing from the reservoir. Any ideas? Maybe a PCV issue? Thanks
Hi I know this is a old thread, but we’re you able to find a solution to the problem you were having with the smoke? Please let me know thanks.

#17 ·
Old is right and the OP hasn't even been on the forum since two days after his first post seven years ago. So, as often is the case, we never heard a resolution. But in my 11 years here I don't recall another similar issue.

#19 ·
White smoke from the exhaust is from coolant leaking into the cylinders from failing head gasket(s). But before spending $$$$ having them replaced I'd do a treatment with a product called Alumaseal. It's specifically for radiator sealing but I've seen it work on head gaskets too.

Reactions: ravenuer
#20 ·
Is your coolant level stable? A blown head gasket could result in disappearing coolant. If you have a blown head gasket there also could be bubbles in the coolant when the engine is run. Suggest also checking engine oil as with a blown head gasket coolant can get into engine cylinders and drain down into the oil sump.

Reactions: Dr. Dyno
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.