Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Remote oil filter adapter

8K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Dexter 1 
#1 ·
Hi y,all, new to forum and really like the format. Question is, has anyone installed a remote oil filter on a 2012 rav4. The filter on these things suck!

#2 ·
While they may be more of a pain to change (personally, I like them), "suck" is not the proper term.
The cartridge filter is larger with more filter area than the spin-on type.
Your bypass valve is in the mount, rather than some unknown-quality valve that might leak in a spin-on, in addition to the fact that you can see the quality of the construction, and if there are any defects in the pleats.

#7 ·
while i think it looks cool i would not want that on my rav at all...the lines coming out of the filter housing are just begging to be damaged by something on the ground or an animal that you could run over...it also adds more complexity and places for problems down the road...and really how hard is it to swap a filter once or twice a year...my question is what is the purpose?...

#12 ·
Our RAV was the first car we owned that had a "oil filter housing" instead of a regular "spin on" filter. My first impression of this type of filter setup was: "It's going to be a pain in the butt". I like doing my own services but really didn't look forward to the awaiting hassle of changing out this type of filter. When the day came for the first oil change, I found out this was really no big deal. In reality, I like this oil filter better than the spin-on type! After my first "hands on" oil change with the RAV, my routine is smooth on takes no longer than doing any other oil change. The fact that I can see what's inside my used filter without having to cut apart the old one is well worth it IMO.

#14 ·
My first couple of oil changes was a PITA dealing with the cartridge type oil filter. Now that I have the routine down it is no big deal.
You do however need the special wrench fitting. It also took me a couple of times before I knew what the little plastic nipple was for, that come with new filter elements. The draining of the canister is an extra step but it sure beats the gush of oil that occurs when you drop the can without first draining.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.