Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Hissing noise after accident

17K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Quickdtoo 
#1 ·
I rear ended someone about an hour ago, when I got out of the car I heard a hissing noise near the grille. We exchanged info and went on our separate ways. About 15 mins later when I got to work and parked, the hissing noise was still there.

I popped open the hood to see if any hoses were obviously disconnected, didn't see anything noticeable. The noise wasn't as loud when listening from the open hood, it's loudest when I crouch down and listen near the grille of the car.

Any ideas what might be disconnected? I'm trying to discern if I should have my car towed from work to the nearest service station. If the hissing isn't related to a critical component I'll just drive it to a toyota service center later today.

Thanks in advance. :smile

#3 ·
Thanks! Naw it's not too bad, the front bumper came loose a bit and my plate is bent but otherwise just the hissing noise.

I did notice a puddle forming under my car during the information exchange, but I chalked that up to simple water discharge from the A/C. I did have my A/C on for about 5 of the 15 min drive from accident to work, it was working. I'll go out and have another look, see if there's a puddle of refrigerant forming.

#4 ·
So the hissing noise was still there when I went out to check again. There was a small puddle of odorless fluid (likely normal water discharge from the A/C) under the car.

My hunch is the hissing isn't related to A/C, though I did turn the car on and ran the A/C for 2 mins, it didn't seem to get cold at all.

I'm probably going to have it towed to the toyota service station near my home while I'm at work, to get it into the shop asap.

#7 ·
If there isn't a puddle of engine coolant the leak could be from the A/C, as others have speculated. The ongoing hissing could be from a slow leak, with refrigerant pressure causing the hissing sound. That appears more likely since it was noted that the A/C didn't cool when it was tried later.

#8 ·
If you hear refrigerant hissing out of the system, that sound will only last for a few seconds, one minute at the most. It leaks out really fast. And it evaporates immediately, there will never be any liquid on the ground.

#9 ·
Maybe it's a vacuum leak, and the hissing is air being drawn INTO the system?

Does the hissing sound only occur when the engine is running?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.