Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Toyota 0W20 or Mobil1 0W20 Synthetic. (Help me choose)

24K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  kyoo 
#1 ·
Not trying to start an oil debate :laugh .. But just need your first hand experience. (pretty much finalized on 2 oil brands, 1 weight)

I had prepaid dealer service till date & they did conventional oil changes every 5K

I am planning to perform every 7-8K oil changes with full synthetic. (as 60% of my driving is towing 2 motorcycles). The Toyota 0W20 12-qt case cost 76$ shipped from ebay dealer & Mobil1 "Advanced Fuel" 0W20 1 jug costs ~ 29$ (with tax) at Walmart ...

On reading BITOG and tons of other threads, Toyota 0W20 comes highly recommended, but from your experience do that Toyota oil have anything special than the Mobil1 one? {I have used Mobil1 conventional on my past 2 civics}. Its not a whole lot of $ more / oil change anyways if i go with the Toyota one.

#2 ·
IMO, both surpass the requirements by so much that if it was my decision it would be by price, lowest that is, since I don't believe you get what you pay for. :wink

I use whatever is on sale - this time that being Quaker State 5W-20 conventional. Last change it was Valvoline. I do ZERO research, just change it every 5000-7000 miles

#4 ·
Mobil makes Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W20 to Toyota specs. They are not identical but similar. For 7-8K intervals the 5 quart jug at Wallyworld would be more than adequate. I must assume you have a four cylinder since the V-6 calls for 5W30 and holds 6 quarts with filter change.

#7 ·
Mobil 1 is good oil, toyota doesn't make oil so it's any ones brand. Walmart doesn't sell cheap oil, they sell oil cheap! :)

I use amsoil changing my oil at 16,000kms. I change the oil filter half way through though. (toyota oem filter)

A fully synthetic oil can easily go 10,000 km's between oil changes.

#9 ·
I agree :) I still have a hard time leaving oil in my engine for 40,000 km's. (yeah, signature series is supposed to be rated for 25,000 miles!) I know they say it should be ok, but.....

#12 ·
Friend you really need to educate yourself as to modern oils. Many synthetics are easily capable of 10K miles in spite of what you may think. As a senior member on Bobistheoilguy I have seen some last in excess of 20K miles with top ups and a filter change. If you are still in the 3K oil change frame of mind and won't accept new information then there is little hope. Are you also one of those that thinks 0W20 will kill an engine even when the manufacturer says to use it? As they have for more than a decade???????

#17 ·
old thread, but no. that is some old school mechanics I've never heard of it. I send my oil samples to Blackstone.

I'm again considering running 0w20 (Red Line) in the Rav4. It's actually relatively thick for a 0w20 - viscosity @ 100cst is 9.1 compared to amsoil's 0w20 @ 8.7, mobil 1's 0w20 @ 8.7 also.

for reference, the lightest 5w30 I've used was ~9.5@100cst.. food for thought

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.