Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Unintended Acceleration - MOI?

8K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  ashtonybb 
#1 ·
Well, now I can somewhat sympathize with those who claim unintended acceleration. It blew my mind, and I understand it was somehow operator error, but it all happened so quickly that I cannot figure out what I did wrong.

At a city stop sign, getting ready to turn right, in new snow and the engine just bursts into high revs. I stood on the brake and shoved it into neutral then park, all within a couple seconds, and it returned to normal. No harm.

But it did create a bit of mental fog.

#2 ·
Weird! I keep expecting it to happen to me, but it hasn't yet. So, are you a believer now?

#3 ·
No, James. I am not a believer. I think it was operator error - my own. I am merely describing the event and how it is difficult for me to understand how I made it happen.

Very best,
Pico

#4 ·
I had this happen once. I was leaving work and I forgot to take off my huge work boots. Came up to the first stop light, hit the brakes, but the Rav wouldn't stop. I quickly realized that I was hitting the brake and gas pedal at the same time. Almost needed a change of shorts....

#5 ·
Unintended engine acceleration happened to me in our garage. Started the engine, put my foot onto the brake to shift from Park into Drive, and the engine revs increased dramatically. Took my foot off the brake and the revs dropped to normal. Obviously a case of my EEE foot having been on both the brake and the accelerator pedal at the same time.

The incident was a bit of a shock at first, then I was rather bewildered about how I managed to have my foot on both at the same time when I knew better than to do that.

#10 ·
Happened to me in another car after I had taken the car to the car wash and taken the mat out to wash off. I had put the mat back in haphazardly and it was partially covering the gas pedal. So when I hit the brake it was also pushing down on the gas. Needless to say, checking and re-checking that the mat is completely underneath the pedals has become somewhat of an obsession for me after any removal of the mat!

#12 ·
I have tried to do it on purpose and it's very difficult. I almost have to turn my average sized foot sideways to do it. Plus I never wear large boots.

#14 ·
No problems with the boots on in today's snow storm. What wasn't fun was driving home from the eye appointment in the storm with sunglasses on because my eyes were dilated!

#19 ·
UA - MOI?
Reminds me of a line in the old Coasters song Charlie Brown. "Who me? YEAH YOU!" (from 1959, BTW)

#27 ·
Forgot to ask you if by any chance was your battery weak? Just curious, not trying to start another controversy. 0:)
When this happened to me my OEM 4 1/2 year old battery was weak and on the way out.

#28 ·
ASA this thread has popped back up I edited my old song post #20 to 98% since 1%ER in my business has a distinct meaning. :doh: I ignore it as much as possible.

#29 ·
[...] 1%ER in my business has a distinct meaning. :doh: I ignore it as much as possible.
I go back to when the 1% meant the number of racers that were not members of the AMA. It was mostly Harleys and Brit Bikes playing on dirt flats. Ever seen a hard-tail FLH jump? :)

FWIW - this is the last of several bikes I built, this one literally from the ground up from parts we could find on the floor at swap meets in the day. Meet the Butcher Boy, my '46, '56, '66 Harley.

#30 ·
WOW! A beauty indeed pico! :surprise

Reactions: pico
#31 ·
lol, it happened to me a lot of time already, especially if i am wearing big shoes or working boots with wider soles. :-( driver error.

what i believe in is if this happens once, it will repeat no matter what after several driving cycles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.