Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2006 rav4-post oil cons. fix-problems

5K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  Blogson 
#1 ·
My 06 Rav4 was drinking a qt of oil per week/350 miles. I obviously qualified for the fix they made available last year. I had the fix done June 2015. They replaced my pistons, rods, rings, wrist pins, water pump and serpentine belt. Since then my alternator has gone bad which I replaced, battery went bad, air conditioner quit and my car overheated and needed a new water pump.

A couple weeks ago when I started it up in the morning to head to work the engine made a loud noise, kind of sounded like a lawn mower... it was a pretty loud noise that would quiet down once it was warmed up. I drove it for about a week like that until all my warning lights came on after I accelerated. The car died. I pulled over thinking that was it, it must be seized. I tried to start it and it started but I didn't feel I should drive it so I towed it to a friends shop. He inspected it and said he heard a loud noise coming from the alternator. He thought it would be ok to drive home and have my husband replace it. So that is what I did.

The morning after the alternator was replaced I was driving to work and it was still making a noise. All of a sudden all the lights came on again, including the oil light. I pulled over. I started it up and the lights were off so I decided to take it to the dealer. (which my brother-in-law recommended when he heard the car after the alternator was replaced)

The car is currently at the local Toyota dealer. The service guy had the mechanics look at it and the first message he left was that they thought there was a problem with the crankshaft. An hour later when I got a hold of him he said they thought it was the balance shaft. he said he had needed me to authorized them to take the motor apart to see what is going on and if they can make Toyota cover it because he saw this one other time with a car that had the same previous issues as mine. So they tore it down yesterday and today he is dealing with corporate Toyota to see if they will fix it for free or else I will have to pay $500 just for them to put it back together without fixing it.

I wonder if anyone has dealt with or heard of any of the same issues regarding the rav4 and the oil problem? Thank you!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Beginning with the new water pump that failed does make me question how well the rebuild was done overall. I'm sorry to hear of it but have no helping information. I think corporate will step up to the plate, I certainly hope so.

Assuming they repair it free, and it's done properly, get rid of this toad if at all possible.

#3 ·
From reading posts from others who have qualified for the oil burning problem engine rebuild, most seem to be OK afterwards. I agree with RTexasF's questioning the quality of your RAV's engine rebuild procedure, and also that it would be worthwhile to get rid of this problem vehicle, after hopefully the engine is repaired again and Toyota has paid for the repair.

#4 ·
update: called Toyota as they were supposed to of had my engine torn apart yesterday. Was told the mechanic thought he would be able to see the issue from underneath the car but turns out that he couldn't. They are currently taking the engine out of the car. Was told it is "much deeper than anticipated." Not sure what that means but hopefully it won't come out of my pocket.

#5 ·
I don't know how a mechanic could see what the problem is with the engine from your RAV from underneath unless they first had removed the oil sump, which they may have done. Also the "much deeper than anticipated" remark appears ominous, as in even more expensive. Hope that you can make certain that Toyota pays the bill in full! Keep us posted.

#7 ·
... Since then my alternator has gone bad which I replaced, battery went bad, air conditioner quit and my car overheated and needed a new water pump.
A couple weeks ago when I started it up in the morning to head to work the engine made a loud noise, kind of sounded like a lawn mower... it was a pretty loud noise that would quiet down once it was warmed up. I drove it for about a week like that until all my warning lights came on after I accelerated.
Driving any car under these conditions is certainly abuse if not complete neglect. I hope so for your sake but if Toyota doesn't cover the full cost that will be the reason. You literally drove it into the ground! Until it wouldn't go anymore. All compounded by bad advice from friends and "relatives."

#8 ·
Heard back from Toyota service today. They said that the crankshaft broke and sent metal fragments into other parts of the engine. He is still confident that Toyota will pick up the repair tab. He's waiting for their decision and will call me tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the moral support!

I hear ya Dr. Dino- It was a bad decision to continue to drive it. With any luck Toyota will dig me out of this one. It sounds like he thinks it is Toyota's design flaws that are causing me all this heartache.

#9 ·
Thank you for the update, April. The problem apparently began when Toyota supposedly rebuilt your engine because of the oil consumption problem and somehow made a bad job of it, and that was compounded by other problems which subsequently developed. A broken crankshaft, if it actually did break as in split apart, is almost unknown except occasionally in vehicles designed for racing. If it did break apart that would point to a defect in its manufacture. In any event, hopefully Toyota will pick up the bill in full. Please keep us updated on what develops, and of course, the best of luck!

#10 ·
I agree with Blogson. A broken crankshaft is unheard of outside of racing or severe conditions. Please keep us posted concerning the continuing drama. We are on your side for what that's worth.

Assuming all works out well I still stick with getting rid of it......time for another ride.

#11 ·
Agreed on the "broken" crankshaft. Probably just their simplified explanation for it running out of oil and getting scored.

Disagree on getting rid of it. I seen people get rid of a car because it's been "nickel and diming them to death" only to have everything fixed for the next lucky owner.

#12 ·
Drove over to Toyota today to retrieve something out of my car. I got to see my engine in pieces sitting on a cart. He showed me the metal shavings and how they scored the crankshaft. He said they will be able to smooth those out but the bottom part of the engine where the crankshaft sits will have to be replaced. They are still waiting on the good word from Toyota. Was told the service manager was planning to call to see what the hold up is. He said that they saw the same problem on another Rav4 but it wasn't as extensive. They were able to machine the crankshaft and put it back in. Because mine is more extensive they aren't sure what they'll say.

#13 ·
April, thanks for your update. So the crankshaft wasn't actually broken, but as Dr. Dyno surmised it has been scored. It would have been very difficult to believe that the crankshaft actually had been fractured. Presumably the "bottom part" of the engine which has to be replaced actually refers to the main (crankshaft) bearings and also the piston rod bearings. Let's hope that this time the Toyota people do things correctly, and also that Toyota will cover the cost. If it were my vehicle I still would be strongly considering getting rid of it after the repairs have been completed and getting a newer vehicle with a clear service record, but of course that is your decision to make. Please continue to keep us updated.

#14 ·
April, thanks for your update. So the crankshaft wasn't actually broken, but as Dr. Dyno surmised it has been scored. It would have been very difficult to believe that the crankshaft actually had been fractured. Presumably the "bottom part" of the engine which has to be replaced actually refers to the main (crankshaft) bearings and also the piston rod bearings. Let's hope that this time the Toyota people do things correctly, and also that Toyota will cover the cost. If it were my vehicle I still would be strongly considering getting rid of it after the repairs have been completed and getting a newer vehicle with a clear service record, but of course that is your decision to make. Please continue to keep us updated.
I would assume the bottom part of the engine would be the block, no? I know I wouldn't want dealership mechanics, aka parts replacers, rebuilding my engine block. Put a factory rebuilt engine in there or I want top trade in money on a new RAV. After all, the sales guys would surely be impressed by a RAV "cared for" by their very own service dept, right?

#15 ·
So I got a call telling me I need to wait for another week to find out what Toyota's plans are with my engine. They already had a toyota rep coming the end of next week so they want him to take a look at it before they can give me an answer. Seems like they should at least offer me a rental car. It will be a full two weeks to get any answer from them.

Like I said before, I was told they had another car with the same issues and they fixed it, my car just happens to be in a little worse shape. I don't know why they are dragging their heels on it for so long. Can't they tell from the pictures and information they are getting. Uhg!

#16 ·
They (Toyota) certainly are taking their time (possibly deliberate stalling) for resolving this, and one must wonder what people are supposed to do for transport in the meanwhile. For an organization which a couple of years ago announced restructuring especially in the U.S. supposedly to be more efficient in meeting customer concerns their actions do not appear to live up to their proclaimed intentions. As you suggested, Toyota should be able to resolve the issue based upon the photos and the info which they have received. One can easily suspect that Toyota are afraid that if they surrender in this situation that would establish a precedent which would make them responsible for other situations which are less clear. Have you asked that they provide a free rental car for you until they resolve the issue? Suggest that you do what you can to press for faster action. Good luck, and keep us up to date!

#18 ·
Got some good news today :D.... they will be replacing my short block free of charge. I'm wondering if I should still get rid of it or keep it after the repair? Will this fix the issue or will something else pop up later. I'm kind of tired of car problems.

#20 ·
Congratulations for Toyota doing the right thing for you! The short block installation should eliminate the engine-related problems which you have experienced. A short block doesn't include the cylinder head, camshaft,valve gear, alternator, etc., nor perhaps not the coolant pump. Those along with the rest of the vehicle now are about ten years old and other problems may - but not necessarily will - occur. If you trade in or sell the vehicle while everything is working properly it will be worth more than it would if something else were to malfunction. While RAVs generally are reliable, even older ones, it might be worthwhile to consider trading it in for a newer one with a clean service and accident history.

#19 ·
The new short block will come with all the parts that caused problems - pistons, rings, crankshaft and bearings. Should be a good-as-new fix.

#23 ·
My advice to APRIL is to ask if they will include replacing the water (coolant) pump with the job. It will be removed as part of the swap of parts so why put the old one back on? She may have to pay for the pump, but no labor.

#29 · (Edited)
If your RAV has had Toyota's recommended maintenances done and if after it has been reassembled and the dealer has checked for any error codes and taken care of any related problems you should be good to go!

#32 ·
Congratulations for having more good news! Your RAV should be nearly new by the time Toyota is finished with it. But what air compressor needs replacement? Presumably you meant the air conditioning compressor, which actually compresses refrigerant. Thanks for keeping us updated and for sharing good news reports about Toyota, especially when we hear lots of negative reports from other owners.

#33 ·
... Presumably you meant the air conditioning compressor, which actually compresses refrigerant...
And that compressor isn't normally a failure item.

#34 ·
Dr. Dyno

Interesting that you mention that because I thought the same thing. My ac stopped working after they replaced the pistons, rods, water pump and serpentine belt, my alternator failed as well. I took it back to them and they said it wasn't anything they did that caused the failure. Which seemed strange because it was working before they touched it. Could be just bad luck... but I tend to think not.

#35 ·
I found this on a question and answer board

Reason for car AC compressor failure?
I brought my car to a repair shop, and asked them to replace a serpentine belt and cabin air filter. Right after the replacement, the A/C compressor got internal failure. The A/C compressor was in working order 5 days before (certified dealer confirmed), so I believe the repair shop made some error but they do not admit any possibilities. Do you come up with any possibilities?

Answers
Relevance
r_o_graham
Best Answer: AC units typically consist of the compressor that is attached to an electric clutch. When they replaced the serpentine belt (which drives the clutch) they may have damaged the electric clutch. A simple possibility is that they simply dislodged the electrical connection that causes the clutch to actuate. Sometimes the internals of the electric clutch get repetitive wear in such a way that it has a difficult time engaging. Clutches can be replaced independently of the compressor, but shops often like to replace the whole compressor (which then requires a full AC purge/recharge) since it means more $ for them. You can buy a rebuilt compressor and move just the clutch from it to your current compressor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.