Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Groaning noise after 4-wheel brake replacement

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  casper 
#1 ·
I replaced all four calipers/rotors awhile back (autopartswarehouse.com). Immediately afterward, whenever I back up, put the car in Drive and then pull forward, there's a groaning sound (sounds like the rear) for the first second or two. If I tap the brake during that timeframe, it goes away (although it's hard to tell since I'm only doing a couple mph at this point so tapping the brakes pretty much stops me completely).

Obviously this falls under the category, "What did you mess with just before the symptom appeared", but any idea what I should be looking forward when I finally get the time to tear back into this again?

Thanks in advance for any insight you care to offer!

#2 ·
Fresh off a brake job on an '07

Did you use all the clips on the pads? I just did the brakes on my wife's '07 and the clips were a little different than I've seen before. The little guys on one end of each pad were new to me. Seems they make the pads hold solid in the caliper. Also, it looks easy to install the main caliper clips backwards.

If the pad clips aren't installed properly, the pads could go cock-eyed and settle when you apply pressure on the brakes.

Pete

#3 ·
Also check the parking brake to see if it is sticking to the rotor. Rust and age will prevent it from resetting or centered properly. I had that problem and since my parking cable is seize, I decided to back the parking shoes a few click back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.