Transmission Fluid Renew - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission Fluid Renew

I know that this has been highly discussed in this forum but there are
a multitude of opinions and I just am not sure which one I should follow.
I have a 2006 Rav4 FWD I4 with 107,000 miles. The trans fluid was
changed by the dealer at 68,000 miles (previous owner) and I want to
do it again soon. I am told by my mechanic to flush and refill twice for a
cost of $195 and then flush once a year after that. Is this good advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblarson2002 View Post
I know that this has been highly discussed in this forum but there are
a multitude of opinions and I just am not sure which one I should follow.
I have a 2006 Rav4 FWD I4 with 107,000 miles. The trans fluid was
changed by the dealer at 68,000 miles (previous owner) and I want to
do it again soon. I am told by my mechanic to flush and refill twice for a
cost of $195 and then flush once a year after that. Is this good advice?
Then I guess you're aware this is a multi-faceted debate. There's the drain-and-refill crowd vs the flush faction. Then there's the WS vs anything else thing. Your call.
My 2 cents: do a drain-and-refill using factory WS every, oh say, 35 to 45k, depending on your driving style(towing, off-roading etc).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Doing a flush now would be good if you plan on keeping your car for another 5 years or more. Then every 35-45k a drain and fill but not a flush every year.
Just picture changing dirty water in a fish tank. You can change all of it so it is all clean or change some of it and it is partially clean. The fish lives no matter since the water is mostly clean.
This an over simplify explanation but you get the idea.

2009 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD
2005 RAV4 Base 4WD -sold

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblarson2002 View Post
...I am told by my mechanic to flush and refill twice for a
cost of $195 and then flush once a year after that. Is this good advice?...
Not sure exactly what is being described. Is the mechanic going to drop the pan also? Is he going to use a "flush" machine? Or are you talking about a simple "drain" of the fluid then refill a couple of times?

I guess either way, after that service, I'd let is go as the two others said, for around 35-45k miles. Annually would be overkill, IMO.

Also, it was a plus the dealer "changed" it at 68k miles. But was that a flush or a simple drain and refill? If it was a Toyota dealer, you could enter your VIN in Toyota.com/owners, look at the Service History, and see how many units of fluid were involved in that. If it was 4 quarts, it would have been a simple 'drain and refill' and not a "flush." Flushing involves a lot more fluid.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 02:22 PM

I have a 2011 Rav4 2.5 I4 with approx. 47k miles. Fluid isn't burnt but its not pink anymore- more of a light coffee color. I'm considering the drain and fill route- what would be the procedures?
1) Get to Operating temperature and then drain fluid from Trans. Pan- approx. 4 quarts from what I've read?
2) Next step: Add 4 quarts (what came out) via the trans. Dipstick hole. Do this while running the car or while off?
3) Once 4 quarts are added, do you just go out and drive or do you shift through all gears at idle (approx. 30 seconds per "gear position" on the shifter) then go drive and re-measure?
4) Do you repeat this step 2 more times to get pink fluid? (another 4 quarts each time)?

I have yet to find a detailed procedure. Should I get someone to drop the pan and replace filter before doing all this? I get firm shifts in the am when cold but otherwise no slipping right now.

Thanks,
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan11405 View Post
I have a 2011 Rav4 2.5 I4 with approx. 47k miles. Fluid isn't burnt but its not pink anymore- more of a light coffee color. I'm considering the drain and fill route- what would be the procedures?
1) Get to Operating temperature and then drain fluid from Trans. Pan- approx. 4 quarts from what I've read?
2) Next step: Add 4 quarts (what came out) via the trans. Dipstick hole. Do this while running the car or while off?
3) Once 4 quarts are added, do you just go out and drive or do you shift through all gears at idle (approx. 30 seconds per "gear position" on the shifter) then go drive and re-measure?
4) Do you repeat this step 2 more times to get pink fluid? (another 4 quarts each time)?

I have yet to find a detailed procedure. Should I get someone to drop the pan and replace filter before doing all this? I get firm shifts in the am when cold but otherwise no slipping right now.

Thanks,
Drive your vehicle until it's up to operating temperature. Drain what's in the pan. (about 4 quarts) Add 4 quarts to your tranny via the dipstick. (DO NOT RUN YOUR ENGINE while adding the fluid) Once you add the fluid, go for a 5 minute drive using all the gears. Come home, leave the engine running and re-check the fluid level. The next day after driving , check it again. Some people like to do a flush and refill a few times within a few weeks to get most of the old fluid out. Your choice.......good luck.

Kevin

08 Rav Limited

I4 engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page