Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2007 V6 hesitation acceleration

9K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  oss117 
#1 ·
Hi, I bought a 3.5 V6 a month ago and one of the buying pro was the powerful acceleration. Yes the auto shifting was a little irritating sometimes in the beginning to adapt, and also the slightest tip on the pedal, which leaded into boost like hell. ;-)

After I went to Toyota Dealer concerning whining issues, he suggested to have look at the ATF in detail, After one drain only with 4.5l ATF WS filled back, i went out for test drive. I immediately noticed, that the the irritatic shifting went away, its more comfy to drive but where the fire the boost?!! HELP! It feels like that car take more time to downshift and also not moving forward like before. Im not saying thats its like a safe mode no, its still powerful, but noticeable slower then before. The Toyota mechanic connected a test computer to read codes before he pass me car but no codes or errors. Did he overnight/or refresh or re-programm the original settings/or which I was used, when checking for codes automatically when conecting the test computer? Could it be that the one time ATF change wasn't enough? TPS sensor or others?

I tried to reconnect batterie for an hour to reset ecu, but with no success so far. For the whining he offered a reman transmission, which I have to cover my self, but i can live with the whining, but not with the power loss issue. Looking forward to you comments and experiences. Sergi

See less See more
#2 ·
Is it possible the transmission is slipping due to low fluid? Are you aware of how the tachometer would act if that was the case?

#7 ·
Ive double checked several times, first when cold during engine running and also when warmed up, also engine running. its slightly over cold/warm mark. What I forgot to mention. When picked up the car after first ATF change I tried Kickdown after warmed the car up, I heard kind of loud knock under the car. Shifting after oil change is completely different. Now It moves from 2nd I think, like all cars do as far as I know, and changes gears very fluently, but when I want to accelerate faster with pedal it does not downshift as quick as I was used and also the gear seems to high. Also I noticed kind of increase of droning humming noise from trans since oil change. Unfortunately I could not pick up the car today cause the cork seal didn't arrive for ATF change. Meanwhile I told them to check TPS Position and Pedal as well. TPS Position seems ok so far they replied.

#3 ·
Welcome to RAV4World, Sergi! I had a whining transmission at 19,000 miles on my 2008. The Toyota dealer replaced it under warranty with a reman that had specially honed gears to make them quiet. The whining was gone plus the power and acceleration was exactly the same! It is still quiet and just as powerful to this day. I don't see how changing the transmission fluid could have affected your performance especially if he used the WS fluid.

How did you end up with a V-6 RAV4? I thought they were never sold in Europe.

#4 ·
I also am curious about how you managed to buy a V6 RAV in Europe. About the transmission problem, my wife once had her Honda CR-V serviced by a dealer who sells several other makes in addition to Toyota and when they changed her transmission fluid they installed new fluid meant for anther make of vehicle. Even though the service department changed the fluid again and installed the correct fluid she said that the CR-V never shifted properly after that.

Reactions: AMcCarroll
#5 ·
RAV6 hesitation acceleration

Yes, the guy worked in Canada for a Austrian Petrol company and moved back to Austria and took this car with him. Car is very well maintained, otherwise I would not buy it. Im heading Toyota Mechanic right now, he will drain and fill twice again and check other things. Let you know by end of today if theres a needful outcome. Sergi

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got my car back from Toyota dealer today. They changed the ATF with Toyota Lexus ATF Typ IV - Mobil 3309, instead of WS, cause they supposed that the whining noise gets more quiet. Indeed its a little quieter overall, but still noticeable whining. They also changed all regarding Filters and a sieve, which he said, was completely dry.

Also they checked codes and Tps and cleaned throttle body, also checked TB whether its opening and closing correctly, when warm up and cold. They state the performance with very good.

I think now, that the sudden downshifting and erratic shifting overall before first ATF change, gave me the feeling, that its more sporty probably. Now car is shifting much more smooth and is more willing to stay in the lower gear and does not catch the slightest tip to jump forward. Don't know, think I've to deal with it. Would the pedal sensor, don't know Denso or the other one, send a code too if its faulty?

#11 ·
Got my car back from Toyota dealer today. They changed the ATF with Toyota Lexus ATF Typ IV - Mobil 3309, instead of WS, cause they supposed that the whining noise gets more quite. Indeed its a little quiter overall, but still noticeable whining. They also changed all regarding Filters and a sieve, which he said, was completely dry.
You will eventually damage your transmission with the wrong fluid. Type IV and WS are two different fluid which can spell disaster. There are no known cases proving that changing the fluid of any type would solve the whining noise.

#12 ·
So here's the new update: I asked the Toyota dealer whether he can reset the ECM instead of buying the Techstream. After having checked whether the right software is available they asked me to do it today. Long story short, after successfully resetting the ECM, my RaVs behavior changed, its much more responsive and feels quicker as requested. He also said that it needs couple of days more, approx 5, then personal driving /behavior/ settings will be saved. I also asked them again whether the different oil can damage sth and whether its compatible and cause other problems. He said that they use this oil for years, also to replace the WS to Mobil 3309, and have not experienced any problems so far, they are a authorized Toyota dealer and servicing Toyota more then 30 years in Vienna.

#14 · (Edited)
Special thanks to you Klunkerbiker! Without your tip the last day and with a little luck I solved the lag or response issue on my RAV V6. I had luck too that the mechanics spent their time that short term for me. All in all in took 10 minutes i think, before I have finished my coffee they called it ready ;-) Also they did not charge the reset to me.

I came back just right now from another drive out, really impressive difference. Unbelievable how fast car shifts back and moves forward now.

Thank you very much to all of you. Keep you informed if sth changes into better or bad as well. Sergi

#15 ·
Congratulations! You now have probably the fastest RAV4 in Austria!

#16 ·
Good to know you got back the throttle response that you were looking for! I too had a similar issue as I mentioned in another thread:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...ion-delay-hard-shifts-could-engine-issue.html

I haven't given a long-term update on that thread. After weeks since the ecu reset, I notice the dbw delay is now a little more apparent and no longer has the aggressive throttle tip that I love so much. I'm wondering if that's associated with the fact that I drive it on the freeway at least 70 miles day to work, and that's what it re-learned. When I drive my brother's rav (also a 4wd v6 model), it just feels a little more responsive which I like.

Please give an update a few weeks later if you don't mind, I'm curious to know if you'll end up having the same issue as me! Otherwise, I'll have my ecu sent in for a tune. =)

#18 ·
MyEeek,

I have wondered the same thing. My commute the first 8 months I owned my RAV was about 100 miles a day, up and down a mountain pass. I also use the heck out of cruise control. Really the only time I drive aggressively is when overtaking another vehicle on the freeway or in the twisties if I chose a mountain road route instead.

That said, my car was kinda wimpy on acceleration when I purchased it used a year ago, and I know for a fact the previous owner was an older woman from Colorado who also lived in the mountains.

I am now trying to budget the Techstream purchase as right now it's more of a luxury item than the necessity that my new shocks and struts were.

Hopefully I have a similarly positive story so one too.

LG

#21 ·
I think you mean that I should reset the ECM again, right? If this happens that often, its worth buying the tech stream software. Which one is the correct item i should buy for my 07, appreciate a direct link or so, any additional software or firmware needed?

#24 ·
Thanks for your reply! I found this one Mini VCI Diagnostic Cable Tool TIS Techstream v10.30.29 For Toyota Lexus Scion | eBay
but it says a different version V10-30-29. will this work as well, I've to ask a friend who uses windows and can help me out during the procedure, cause im using OS X since years, never mind,
What still confuses me is, that the related threads were talking about 7.20.041 version needed. I would really appreciate if someone can send me all needed software by email or so. Thank you in advance, Sergi

#25 ·
quick update: had the ecm reseted several times at the toyota dealer, but i did not feel the difference as reseted 1st time, means that touchy throttle comes and goes during the daily drive. Sometimes it shifts more aggressive sometimes more smooth, any ideas or experiences? Should I change the ECM completely?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.