Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Rav 4 DiD towing limits

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  ravenuer 
#1 ·
I have just bought a 22 foot boat weighing 2 tons with trailer another half totalling 2.5 tons with gear and everything .I was wondering if my rav 4 can tow it? I am not going to to tow it in highways I just need to tow it from the Slipway one kilometre to the garage !my biggest worry is that when reversing down the Slipway the mass of the boat will overwhelm the jeep and drag Me To The Sea !anybody has experience over this? The trailer is not with brakes .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I have just bought a 22 foot boat weighing 2 tons with trailer another half totalling 2.5 tons with gear and everything .I was wondering if my rav 4 can tow it? I am not going to to tow it in highways I just need to tow it from the Slipway one kilometre to the garage !my biggest worry is that when reversing down the Slipway the mass of the boat will overwhelm the jeep and drag Me To The Sea !anybody has experience over this? The trailer is not with brakes .

I'm going to guess you have a diesel RAV, so I would have no idea of your towing limits, but 5000 lbs seems like a lot to ask of it.

#3 ·
Agreed! :doh: Borrow another vehicle such as a 4X4 pickup or figure on going swimming. :egad:

#4 ·
Assuming that you are referring to the weight as being metric tons that would mean that using your RAV to tow and launch your boat and equipment would be even more dangerous. As Dr. Dyno said, you should use a vehicle which is equipped for the task or you would need to engage a towing service to retrieve your RAV from the Mediterranean Sea. :surprise

#5 ·
no brakes on a trailer with that much weight, I would be worried.

#19 ·
Even if you managed to launch the boat (very doubtful), I guarantee you will not get it back out. If you do decide to do it, please be sure to get video of this and post it for us. :nerd
Rav 4 did not make it...Had to borrow Pajero... It was ok ti launch ...But to get out of the water ..Thought o was gonna burn the clutch... Partly due to theuneveness of the ramp

Never would have guessed. Glad you made it without damage at least.

#7 ·
Well thanks for your suggestions I know that it is within the limits of the jeeps capability. my father has a Mitsubishi Pajero and he tows a 35 foot monster princess 35 cabin cruiser.behind it without any problem .My boat is a featherweight compared to his .I will give it a try .Will attach a safety rope to the pajerod for you to see...:)

#8 ·
Well thanks for your suggestions I know that it is within the limits of the jeeps capability. my father has a Mitsubishi Pajero and he tows a 35 foot monster princess 35 cabin cruiser.behind it without any problem .My boat is a featherweight compared to his .I will give it a try .Will attach a safety rope to the pajerod for you to see...:)

By "jeep" I assume you mean your RAV4. They're two different vehicles in the US. Your fathers Mitsu is a much larger vehicle than the RAV4 but I don't know the recommended towing limits.
I guess you could always give it a shot....what could you lose....?

#9 ·
I have to! this is the vehicle I have and won't be changing it to tow the boat ..Worst case scenario we have to be all least two people to launch ..Me driving and the other holding a safety rope looped round a bollard..just in case the wheels slip...As I don't have any doubt about the chassis or transmission strength...

#14 ·
Assume this is your fathers rig. Looks like the entire weight of the boat is supported on the 6(?) wheels of the trailer, so all the Mitsu has to do is pull it. Will your boat be on a trailer such as in this pic? If so, you should be good to go. If it will be on a trailer with part of it's weight resting on your hitch, then I'm not so sure.

#20 ·
But I have not lost hope yet ! Managed to take it from the garage to the sea ...Only problem was the unevenness of the ramp which made the initial pull tough for the rav 4 . I am doing a mod to the trailer ( telescopic extension ) so that I can launch from a better less steep ramp. From there should be a piece of cake for the rav4.will post again in a month !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.