Electronic Power Steering Behaviour - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Electronic Power Steering Behaviour

My power steering is heavy .. i don't know how to explain that .. it is the first car i drive with EPS so i wasn't aware of how it should feels.

today when making a U turn i left the wheel expecting to gain its original position back but it didn't. The car would continue turning in circles if i didn't catch the wheel and get it back to center position to drive straight.

Shouldn't the EPS wheel returns to its center position after finishing a full u turn?

I heard the EPS wheels are so light to drive and should't be heavy unless in high speeds.

I have the clunk/thud noise in the steering wheel .. also i got the code p/s 41 which is related to lost communication with fuel injectors.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
update : I look for a TSB regarding column problem but it's for another VINs i guess. here is the link http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2006/ST005-06.pdf

and my vin is JTMBD31V765048485 unless they mean the whole production line Before that VIN specified in that table.

then what are the Symptoms of having this issue (they said nothing in the TSB) i have the same code p/s c0105/41 lost communication with fuel injection control even though there is no error light on my dash (no p/s) i can get it only by jumper test).

Do i have to change steering ECU?

I talked to a mechanic for the turning issue of the steering and He told me this problem is related to an alignment or car arms not been well aligned .. what do you think?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fares View Post
update : I look for a TSB regarding column problem but it's for another VINs i guess. here is the link http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2006/ST005-06.pdf

and my vin is JTMBD31V765048485 unless they mean the whole production line Before that VIN specified in that table.

then what are the Symptoms of having this issue (they said nothing in the TSB) i have the same code p/s c0105/41 lost communication with fuel injection control even though there is no error light on my dash (no p/s) i can get it only by jumper test).

Do i have to change steering ECU?

I talked to a mechanic for the turning issue of the steering and He told me this problem is related to an alignment or car arms not been well aligned .. what do you think?
Yes, the steering wheel should attempt to return to the center after a turn. I would say an alignment issue would have to be quite significant to prevent this on its own. My guess would be an EPS problem although I don't know enough about how it works to offer any advice.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Update: I went to the mechanic and he asked me to get down under the car and showed me that the bolt of loose/tight the steering wheel movement ( if there is a play in the wheel a little bit they tight the bolt in the steering box to make the wheel more tight) was very missed with and torn-edges ... the previous owner over tight it so i asked the mechanic to loosen it so the car can be driven.

After loosen that bolt a little, the steering was light to some extent but still not very good at turns... the more we loosen the bolt and get the steering lighter , the more sounds ( clubks and thuds) we get from the steering box when we come over little holes. So we ended up tight the bolt again.

How we can solve this .. does it require bushes in that box to make it quite??
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
What year car is this? I would think that replacing the steering box is necessary unless it can be rebuilt.

2008 Base V-6
2008 Limited V-6
Tow Prep Package & front wheel drive (both)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
2006 i4 4wd .. what about the code u0105/41 lost communication with fuel injector control which involves examine the CAN or ECM. and also the clunking sound (intermediate shaft i heard this shaft can produce these kinds of noises when crossing above little holes and uneven roads).

But after tighten it i only hear a faint tick only when turn left or right from center and also clunk when coming to parking (involving forwarding and reversing a little to line it up with pavement).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Update: I went to the mechanic and he asked me to get down under the car and showed me that the bolt of loose/tight the steering wheel movement ( if there is a play in the wheel a little bit they tight the bolt in the steering box to make the wheel more tight) was very missed with and torn-edges ... the previous owner over tight it so i asked the mechanic to loosen it so the car can be driven.

After loosen that bolt a little, the steering was light to some extent but still not very good at turns... the more we loosen the bolt and get the steering lighter , the more sounds ( clubks and thuds) we get from the steering box when we come over little holes. So we ended up tight the bolt again.

How we can solve this .. does it require bushes in that box to make it quite??
I'm familiar with the adjustment process your mechanic is describing but that is for a worm and sector type steering box not seen in many years. You have electric rack and pinion steering in your car. I'm pretty sure there is no adjustment like that on your car but I could certainly be wrong.
I'd say you're looking at replacing the steering rack.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
it's the place where the inner tie rods meet and that area covered with a rubber cover .. there is a bolt so big maybe 30 mm or something because the mechanic can't find a wrench for it in his shop (neither the previous owner's mechanic obviously from torn bolt edges). they hammer it with a big screw driver on the edges of the bolt to loosen or tighten it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
it's the place where the inner tie rods meet and that area covered with a rubber cover .. there is a bolt so big maybe 30 mm or something because the mechanic can't find a wrench for it in his shop (neither the previous owner's mechanic obviously from torn bolt edges). they hammer it with a big screw driver on the edges of the bolt to loosen or tighten it.
I don't have access to a Toyota service manual and the Haynes manual that I do have doesn't mention any adjustments, so I'm not much help.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenuer View Post
I don't have access to a Toyota service manual and the Haynes manual that I do have doesn't mention any adjustments, so I'm not much help.
I have attached the Service sheet regarding the steering gear and i think from that there is no adjustment bolt and i don't know what is the relation between the bolt the mechanic was playing with and the steering gear but it was loosen the wheel and make the turn lighter and coming back to center problem was improved and if we continue to loosen it we will get back the normal feeling of the steering but a lot of clunks from under the car when moving.!!

I think the bolt the mechanic was tighten and loosen was the pinion related bolt (to get the pinion out of the rack assembly when disassembling. correct me if i'm wrong.) of the steering rack which was over tightened to silence the intermediate shaft noises over little holes while driving. i have attached a picture to the bolt the mechanic was loosen.

what do you think? was there any damage to the rack and pinion as an outcome of that tighten process? are the clunks merely to the intermediate shaft and by replacing it everything will be fine (loosen the bolt and get the normal feeling of the steering wheel back)

Note: i saw this interesting youtube demonstration for rack and pinion of a toyota camry i think which is the same of a Rav4 i believe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg For-Car-font-b-Toyota-b-font-font-b-RAV4-b-font-2-4L-Power-font.jpg (60.5 KB, 4 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04100210.pdf (107.7 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page