(TSB) Transaxle Whine Noise - Appointment Tomorrow.. - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
(TSB) Transaxle Whine Noise - Appointment Tomorrow..

Hey All,

We have an appointment @ the dealership tomorrow for 75K mile service. I made the appt online and also included a complaint about whine noise coming from the trans between 30-50mph which, according to the TSB, requires trans replacement with "H" trans... I have all the paperwork and highlighted all the pertinent parts to provide to the dealership. The vehicle has 72K miles so technically it's out warranty specified in TSB (60K/60mo) but we got the platinum warranty for the next 30K miles/30mo so this *SHOULD* cover the repairs. Any last minute pointers such as what to do or say if they claim the noise is normal or claim the warranty doesn't cover the repairs, etc... would be much appreciated.

2000 GrandAm SE1 V6 (sold - traded in for RAV4)
2011 RAV4 LTD 4x4 V6
2000 4Runner LTD 4x4 V6 e-locker
2002 Galant LS FWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:41 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I suggest you bring a printed copy of the TSB with you so you can show them it on paper, otherwise they may play lots of games with you ("Oh, that's normal" or "let's keep your car for several hours while we replace the XYZ thing").

Bringing irrefutable proof of it being a known problem from Toyota should minimize the finger-pointing games.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep (3500 lbs towing capacity!), OEM Hitch, Remote Start and Dashcam.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
Best. Vehicle. Ever.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

This will be interesting as a few others have wondered if the extended Platinum warranty would cover the whine. It certainly should! Let us know how it goes.

pointers: if dealer says 'this noise is normal' hopefully there is another V6 on the lot to drive and compare. It sounds like you are on top of your game with the TSB and overall knowledge. Make it clear to them you are looking for the "H" tranny as you mentioned.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the quick replies, the car's at the dealership right now. I brought the documents with me as suggested and even highlighted everything. The guy at the counter quickly glanced over at it and said since my vehicle vin was after production Toyota had already corrected the problem but I pointed out this was incorrect and that pre and post production basically pertained to the repair procedures A and B, former being swap mounts and latter being straight trans swap with H trans. I offered to leave the printed out TSB with them for the tech to look over at it and he said it was not necessary and that they would test drive the vehicle to confirm, which is fine... If they approve the repair, I'll make sure to verify this is covered under platinum warranty; I'm not paying $4K for a trans swap before even making the 1st payment on this vehicle and if the platinum warranty doesn't cover this, what the hell does it cover?! Will update when I hear back.

2011 RAV4 LTD 4x4 V6
2002 Galant LS FWD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:16 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK327 View Post
The guy at the counter quickly glanced over at it and said since my vehicle vin was after production Toyota had already corrected the problem but I pointed out this was incorrect and that pre and post production basically pertained to the repair procedures A and B, former being swap mounts and latter being straight trans swap with H trans.
Is there some documentation somewhere that says Toyota correctly fixed the problem on the production line at some point?

If so, do you have those details handy to share (e.g. VIN ranges where the problem should have been prevented at the factory)?

Thanks much.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep (3500 lbs towing capacity!), OEM Hitch, Remote Start and Dashcam.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
Best. Vehicle. Ever.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Is there some documentation somewhere that says Toyota correctly fixed the problem on the production line at some point?

If so, do you have those details handy to share (e.g. VIN ranges where the problem should have been prevented at the factory)?

Thanks much.

The only thing I know of is this only affects RAV4 up till 2012, later models are not covered under this TSB which also contains the reman transmission part number (30510-4H202-84) that replaces the defective trans.

Update: We got the car back from the dealership and it's looking promising. Bit the bullet and paid for the 5K mile service just so we can also complain about the trans. Here is the invoice we got:

The part we're interested in is the "INF DIAGNOSED NOISE COMING FROM THE TRANSAXLE, NEEDS TRANSAXLE ASSEMBLY"

We were informed that this repair would have to be approved before it can be performed, something about our contract not being ready for 60 days, I'm not sure since my girlfriend got the phone call from the service manager and when we showed up to pick up the vehicle he was already gone, but I will find out exactly what that means... Oh and since we didn't get a 2nd key with our vehicle, dealership said they would eat the cost of cutting another key, which they did and it was also listed on the invoice... $452.36!!! Unreal!

2011 RAV4 LTD 4x4 V6
2002 Galant LS FWD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DK327 For This Useful Post:
DVS (04-22-2017), RAVN4RED (04-22-2017)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:31 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK327 View Post
The only thing I know of is this only affects RAV4 up till 2012, later models are not covered under this TSB which also contains the reman transmission part number (30510-4H202-84) that replaces the defective trans.
Unfortunately that's not what I was hoping to hear. "Later models" in this case means 2013+ which only came with a completely different transmission.

I was *hoping* to hear they had fixed the problem on the assembly line in (let's say) some time in 2011 and all V6 RAV4's made after a certain date had the update transmission, so wouldn't ever have this problem.

Mine, BTW, was made during what I believe was the last month they were putting V6s in (November, 2012).

Still, thank you very much for documenting your situation so thoroughly. Should it start happening on mine you've got all the information about getting it handled stored in just a few posts in one thread, with the proper terminology, TSB number and part number shown in the document.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
Best. Vehicle. Ever.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Unfortunately that's not what I was hoping to hear. "Later models" in this case means 2013+ which only came with a completely different transmission.

I was *hoping* to hear they had fixed the problem on the assembly line in (let's say) some time in 2011 and all V6 RAV4's made after a certain date had the update transmission, so wouldn't ever have this problem.

Mine, BTW, was made during what I believe was the last month they were putting V6s in (November, 2012).

Still, thank you very much for documenting your situation so thoroughly. Should it start happening on mine you've got all the information about getting it handled stored in just a few posts in one thread, with the proper terminology, TSB number and part number shown in the document.

DVS, I think we can find some comfort in knowing that not all transmissions are affected by this TSB, otherwise there would have been a recall, I think. If your VIN does not match the ones specified by Toyota on 1st page of the TSB, chances are, you won't encounter this problem. Even if you do, there have been no reports of transmission failures due to this whine noise. I think you're in good shape if you got the vehicle in 2012 and still have not encountered this noise. As for me, the vehicle already had over 70K miles when I bought it and who knows when the noise started, the previous owner could have been driving around thinking it was normal for years.

2011 RAV4 LTD 4x4 V6
2002 Galant LS FWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page