2WD vs 4WD - Page 15 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

View Poll Results: Front-Wheel Drive or Four-Wheel Drive?
Front-Wheel Drive 191 20.92%
Four-Wheel Drive 722 79.08%
Voters: 913. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#141 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Did you drive over the parking lot block? White/gray powder or scratched on the undercarriage?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#142 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terek View Post
Did you drive over the parking lot block? White/gray powder or scratched on the undercarriage?
LOL! No, I was approaching a take out window in a drive through. I barely hit the gas after being at a stop due to the car ahead of me. It felt like i'd driven over a large hunk of metal. There was a loud bang underneath the car which seemed to come from the center of the vehicle, toward the rear passenger area. It was loud enough that people in the restaurant came out to see what it was !

The sound reminded me of when you come around a bend on a freeway and there's a steel wheel in the middle of your lane, there's no time to swerve so all you can do is pray. But there was nothing behind me on the ground.

Since I'm unfamiliar with 4WD, I thought I may have done something wrong in that area, but it doesn't seem like that was it since I've changed no settings on the vehicle and it hasn't happened again.
#143 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post

The sound reminded me of when you come around a bend on a freeway and there's a steel wheel in the middle of your lane, there's no time to swerve so all you can do is pray. But there was nothing behind me on the ground.

Since I'm unfamiliar with 4WD, I thought I may have done something wrong in that area, but it doesn't seem like that was it since I've changed no settings on the vehicle and it hasn't happened again.
Oh. One time event. No firecracker residue?

Maybe the sound was from the car behind you.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#144 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,111 Times in 804 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
LOL! No, I was approaching a take out window in a drive through. I barely hit the gas after being at a stop due to the car ahead of me. It felt like i'd driven over a large hunk of metal. There was a loud bang underneath the car which seemed to come from the center of the vehicle, toward the rear passenger area. It was loud enough that people in the restaurant came out to see what it was !
I sometimes get that sound when driving over a manhole cover or steel access panel in the pavement. Some of those restaurants have a steel cover plate over a grease trap or drain. If it wasn't seated properly driving over it could have slammed it shut.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#145 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVXD View Post
from what ive read in another post is that the awd system doesnt seem to be helping some w/ the snow...........ill stick w/ cheap or go purchase a real body on frame truck w/ 4 wheel drive, than deal w/ a technilogical computer driven awd system that focuses on safety rather than practicality..............
my experience has always been, in snow and rain to some extent...mt FWD car is waaaaaay more stable than any RWDs I have owned. AWD performs the best in these conditions.

-Laplume
#146 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 08:19 AM

I saw several FWD-only cuvs struggling to get traction yesterday during the snow storm that struck our region. I was very happy to have AWD.

2011 Pacific Blue Base AWD
2013 Nissan Juke SV
1991 Honda CRX Si
#147 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 AM

I live where there is some snow, but not an extreme amount and lots of hills. So road clearing happens but not to the extent it does in some areas. I never thought I wanted or could justify a 4WD (or AWD in 2013) in my RAV4 and had a 2002 with FWD for 10 years. I have a 4WD truck for those times it gets bad and I have to go out. Those few times I got caught out in bad weather I just drove more cautiously and "finessed" my way thru it with driving skills. I bought a 4WD last month and am glad I did. It is just more sure footed, even in rain. I spun the front wheels on rain slick roads more than a few times. Not anymore! I suggest thinking of it more of a want item then a need item. Like heated seats. Can you get by without it? Usually, yes. Is it convenient to have? Yup.
#148 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 PM

We live in Wisconsin, winters can be bad we have the 2wd v6 and have had no problems. Drives like a front wheel drive car, we have never regretted our decision.
#149 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 PM

FWD to 4WD Conversion??

Just a question and I have no idea if this could be done so here goes. Is it possible to convert a FWD RAV4 to a AWD/4WD? Anything may be possible but is it feasible to do this cost wise? Just a thought. Thanks.
#150 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 PM

I just went from a 2006 Honda CRV "4wd" to a 2010 FWD Rav4. 2 days later I returned it for a 4wd rav4. The 2wd just is not my preference. When is rains and the front slips the rear kicks in. Same for snow. Some much more traction with 4wd. More parts to fix and maintence but its just what you feel like dealing with.

4wd = more traction, less MPG more maintenance and possible repairs. More expensive to buy Rav4 with 4WD. Better resale.
2wc = less traction, less expense, more MPG less maintenance and fewer moving parts.Rav4 with 2wd are less expensive to purchase but have lower resale value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page