V6 Oil change instructions - Page 15 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#141 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly_jacek View Post
Well, after 10 oil changes at the dealership (under warranty) I have no choice but follow the same (bad) shortcut.

Why? the filter oil drain is not unscrewable anymore. It's stuck big time and any effort to unscrew it removes the whole filter.

Those grease monkeys must have tightened the filter back using the carnister drain bolt and overtightened it.

Any way to take it apart?
Yes, if you have a vise. Next time you remove the canister, bolt it into a vise. Then use a socket to remove the drain bolt.
Or, like me, don't sweat it. There are millions of Toyotas on the roads out there that have NEVER had the canister drain bolt removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#142 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1 View Post
There are millions of Toyotas on the roads out there that have NEVER had the canister drain bolt removed.
OK, I'll bite. Why did Toyota design this unnecessary drain bolt then?
#143 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Probably to avoid spilling hot oil on your hands or even face. I had the same problem with mine, so I held the cap in place with a large Visegrip, and unscrewed the drain bolt out of there, first. More than likely the last person who replaced the oil filter overtightened the drain bolt.

However, I let the oil drain out of the pan for a long time, and when draining the filter housing, only a little oil poured out.
#144 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Toyota sells millions of vehicles to third world countries where hydraulic lifts are a rarity. Most under body work is done over curbs, blocks of wood, or floor jacks. To prevent hot oil scalding the unwary, Toyota incorporated the canister drain bolt.
My guess is that perhaps 1% of all Toyota oil changes incorporate draining the canister first with the drain bolt. Even those third country no-lift oil changers wouldn't bother with the canister drain bolt. It's a total waste of time if you realize the canister is full of hot oil.
#145 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM

Smile Oil Filter Wrench

This is the filter wrench you all seek for the RAV4 and other Toyota vehicles -

http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Sp...+filter+wrench
#146 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Have to agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodduck65 View Post
I also posted this in another oil forum: Does anyone know why Toyota went with this system for replacing the filter cartridge in the V6 rather than staying with the tried-and-true spin on filter? Seems like extra hassle and mess for minimal benefit, if any.
Maybe because most will not take the time to do-it-themselves and will pay the dealer $$$ to do it. I have a 1997 Tacoma with 240K with the 'classic' spin on and I detest the system on the RAV -it's a PITA now...I will still do it since I never have believed that the dealer or oil shop will take the time or dedication to clean up the peripheral areas, torque properly or spend the necessary time that the vested owner would in this matter, their jobs are to get one car and move on to the next, just sayin'
#147 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplegun View Post
I never have believed that the dealer or oil shop will take the time or dedication to clean up the peripheral areas, torque properly or spend the necessary time that the vested owner would in this matter, their jobs are to get one car and move on to the next, just sayin'
I agree, for the most part.

Dealers work on flat-rate, so there's no incentive to take extra time to do the little things a knowledgeable (and caring) car owner would do. Independent shops *might* do it, if the tech working on your car is the owner of the business and actually cares about quality customer service. I've actually seen this with my own eyes.

Quick-lube places? Hit or miss, mostly miss. Under-trained and under-paid teenagers whose only "incentive" comes from the manager screaming to SELL more unneeded services to inflate the bottom line or be fired. If you frequent one of those places, shame on you.

It's actually my sister's, but I'm the family wrench.
#148 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM

You have nailed it...

I know of at least two cases (personally) where the quickie lube has NOT refilled the oil sump - you can imagine the pain it was to 'make it right' - is there anyway to make it right on a brand new car or a car with 20K on the odometer?
#149 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 PM

Changed the oil on a 2011 Rav4 today.

Any 64.5mm / 14 lug wrench should work, but if it's torqued on you'll need a breaker bar. I used a rubber mallet to bang on my socket wrench to get the filter unstuck.

I'm done with the Toyota dealer. They're a bunch of hacks/liars when it comes to servicing vehicles. I'm guessing they used the same impact wrench to tighten the oil filter that they did when they nicked up the wheels.

I'm going to order this tool even thought the one I have works alright:

Amazon.com: Private Brand Tools (PBT71110) Toyota/Lexus 4 Cylinder Oil Filter Wrench: Everything Else

The oil filter drain plug is also a joke from what I can tell. Just unscrew the entire filter and dump it into the pan.

I used the FRAM Extra guard filter kit. It looks like it's a lot higher quality than the OEM one. $11 at Walmart.

#150 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 11:30 PM

1/2-Inch Drive Extendable Ratchet Handle Extension Wrench. I use this wrench to unscrew the filter. Google it. I extend to max to unscrew the filter and collapse to min to screw it on. Helps a lot. at first I drain the filter 10-15 minutes per instruction, then unscrew. Everything is clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page