Ok now I'm confused about 4x4...or AWD - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:34 AM
swim4tom

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Ok now I'm confused about 4x4...or AWD

As some of you know that I use to own a 4x4 Nissan Titan. And from my understanding is that it is 2-wheel drive unless it is switched to 4x4 high or low.

How is this different than the Rav4 4x4? And what’s the difference between AWD and 4x4? Which is the one that the Rav4 has? What does the "Lock" do? Do I turn it on in snow? Or does the Rav engage the 4x4 automatically?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but I assume I'm not the only one in here that is confused by this.

Before I purchased the vehicle today I always thought that the Rav is always on 2-wheel drive unless the "lock" button is pushed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
#3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 11:32 AM

Re: Ok now I'm confused about 4x4...or AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim4tom
Before I purchased the vehicle today I always thought that the RAV is always on 2-wheel drive unless the "lock" button is pushed.
It is "variable" AWD depending on traction requirements - most of the time you are in FWD. The "Lock" button keeps power going to the rear wheels and prevents the computer from doing the thinking.... up to 25 mph.

4WD is usually used to describe a truck with a high/ low transfer case. AWD usually refers to a full time 4 wheel drive car or crossover vehicle with no low range.

But manufacturers play fast and free with the terms, so you really have to read the technical descriptions to understand what you are buying. The RAV4's drive system is pretty effective and sophisticated.

John Davies
Spokane WA
#4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

I owned a Subaru legacy until very recently and can tell you that the toyota's 4WD in RAV4 works very similar to subaru's AWD with AT tranny. The only difference is that subaru has hydraulic cluch inside tranny and toyota has electic clutch in seperate transfer case. Subaru has no "lock" button but using 1st gear only locks all wheels with 50/50 torque split.

Subaru served me wery well pulling a boat on a very slippery surface, I hope RAV4 will be the same.

However, in subaru it is very important to have near equal tire pressures in all wheels and identical tires. Otherwise, big AWD problems. Does Toyota give adequate warning about it (still waiting for my RAV4)?
#5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 09:15 AM
driven

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Ok now I'm confused about 4x4...or AWD

your Nissan Titan utilizes the so-called "part-time 4WD system", wherein through a shift lever, you can choose to shift between 2H to 4H, 4H to 4L... The Nissan Patrol (a popular SUV not found in north america) is also equipped with this same system.

(Legend: 2H = 2WD high range; 4H = 4WD high range; 4L = 4WD low range)

here's a simple explanation on the differences between a full-time 4WD and the AWD to help you understand the 4X4 system behind the RAV4.

Full time four wheel drive is a system that powers all four wheels at all times. Each tire creates about 25% of the available torque when the ground is level with a consistent surface. Driver has a choice of a 4H (normal setting) and 4L.

When 4L is selected the wheels create substantially more torque than in 4H, at the same time the vehicle moves at substantially slower speeds. You have to keep in mind that 4L does not create more traction, it creates more torque. The low setting is an advantage for drivers who need to tow and maneuver a heavy trailer and for drivers who may want to negotiate or conquer difficult off-road terrain, when more torque and/or slower speed is needed.

The Toyota Landcruiser and Prado are among those which utilizes the full-time 4WD system.

The all wheel drive is a system that powers all four wheels of a vehicle at all times as well.

Full time symmetric AWD would be the best term to be used. Difference to full-time 4WD is that a 4L setting is not available in AWD cars. Due to the lack of "low range" AWD vehicles are much less capable in off-road settings than full-time 4WD vehicles, but work perfectly well on road. (best example of this is the 2nd generation RAV4)

Recently some new "automatic" AWD systems have emerged.
"Real Time 4WD" (a term used by Honda in their CRVs) or "active AWD" (also known as active torque control for the 3rd generation RAV4s) Automatic asymmetric AWD would be the best term for them.

Automatic asymmetric AWD is much less capable in off-road settings than full time AWD systems and inferior to full time 4WD.

However, automatic asymmetrical AWD is getting more and more sophisticated and offers pretty much everything consumers expect for everyday driving. (as you had already witnessed it in the 3rd generation RAV4) You will pretty much understand how this new system work if you have read the "2006 4WD system" PDF file posted by RAVMAN (also found in this thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim4tom
As some of you know that I use to own a 4x4 Nissan Titan. And from my understanding is that it is 2-wheel drive unless it is switched to 4x4 high or low.

How is this different than the RAV4 4x4? And what’s the difference between AWD and 4x4? Which is the one that the RAV4 has? What does the "Lock" do? Do I turn it on in snow? Or does the RAV engage the 4x4 automatically?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but I assume I'm not the only one in here that is confused by this.

Before I purchased the vehicle today I always thought that the RAV is always on 2-wheel drive unless the "lock" button is pushed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page