Buzzing/Vibration-Automatic Transmission Selector In Idle - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 10:27 PM
backtolife

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Buzzing/Vibration-Automatic Transmission Selector In Idle

While decelerating from approximately 60kms (40mph) to an IDLE position at a red light.

At this point, after approximately 3-5 seconds, there is a buzzing or vibration noise from the automatic transmission selector that kicks in.

Once you accelerate by pushing the gas pedal, the buzzing/vibration goes away.

FYI: the AC is not on or the fan
Others have talked about a vibration under the seat at idle, but mine is the automatic transmission selector.

Does anyone know what this could be??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 11:46 AM
JGTC-spec

I also have a buzz sound when sitting at the traffic light but I can't nail it down to where that comes from. I'll pay attention to see if it's also from the auto transmission. Anyways, I've schedule an appointment with the local Toyota deal for them to take a look. And I'll post when I have the result.

#3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
An exhaust heat shield has been mentioned before as the cause of noise before.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 05:43 PM
backtolife

Mine is actually the fuel pump according to the dealer. It is on backorder.

#5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Grey Ghost

So its not just me!!

I actually took mine into the dealer and had a tech go for a drive with me - of course my RAV made me look like a fool. Didn't make a sound.

I've found the noise to be inconsistent, although it seems to happen more often when up to temp.

I've found the location hard to pin down but it sounds to me like it is coming from the rear of the vehicle.

I have the same symptom - I slow down and stop at a light, wait about 2 seconds and it starts up.... sounds like a whine or something. Then, it either goes away (sometimes) or goes away immediately when I press the gas - in drive, not neutral. The noise will remain in neutral as well, but not park. I find as soon as shift to park, the noise will stop.... but will return when I shift back into drive.

Do you guys have similar observations? I will be very interested to hear if it is indeed the fuel pump.

#6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 12:04 AM
JGTC-spec

That sounds very much like the buzz/whine that I was experiencing. I also notice that it happened more often when the car was warmed up to temperature.

Then, as someone suggested in the thread that it might be from the heat-shield. So, I tried bending the heat-shield to see if it's touching anything. And ever since that, the buzz/whine is gone. It has been gone for 3 days now. If I don't hear it again by Friday, I'm going to cancel my appointment with Toyota.

#7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Grey Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGTC-spec
Then, as someone suggested in the thread that it might be from the heat-shield. So, I tried bending the heat-shield to see if it's touching anything. And ever since that, the buzz/whine is gone. It has been gone for 3 days now. If I don't hear it again by Friday, I'm going to cancel my appointment with Toyota.
I could see a heat shield causing a rattling sound, but not the sound that I am hearing. Mine sounds like gear whining - and the fact that the noise (for me) goes away when I put it in park kind of backs up that theory. Although, I could see a fuel pump making the noise as well (perhaps something to do with the fuel pickup?).

#8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 10:23 AM

hey there,

any updates recently about strange sound when at a stop light? like buzzing, whining ,.. just want to know if its normal for the Rav4. you can't hear it ( it'll stop) when you start to accelerate from a stop though. anybody went to the dealer? pls share info.

thanks
#9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 10:04 PM
grandzu1

Yeah I have a high pitch whining noise that comes on intermittently. I also looked like a fool because it didnt happen when a tech and I drove the car.
But that noise drives me nuts and I can't figure out where it is coming from.
Where is the heat shield?

#10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 09:29 PM

well, its not just my Rav then who has this weird noise. I guess its normal for this toyota huh?

anyway if anybody has heard anything about this noise from their mechanic. keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page