Lost parts of car going through a puddle on the freeway! - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Meesh

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Lost parts of car going through a puddle on the freeway!

I was doing about 60 Wednesday night in the pouring rain and hit a low spot on the freeway that had about 3" of water in it. I didn't see it soon enough to avoid it so I just hung on to the steering wheel and prayed. The car slowed down quite a bit but kept going straight spraying water everywhere. The noise from the water hitting the ubnderside of the car was deafening.

The next day the check engine light, VSC light and 4x4 light, came on. I stopped by the dealer on my way home to have it checked.

I was in the waiting room a few minutes when the service mgr. came and got me saying he wanted to show me something. We went out side and he pointed to the vehicle. There were two hoses hanging from the car below the drivers seat. It seems there was a plastic canister behind the charcoal filter that recircs tank fumes back to the engine. It must have gotten ripped off when I hit that puddle. I explained to him what had happened and he told me that warranty wouldn't cover the damage (~$150.00). I told him that I had never lost car parts by driving through a puddle in my 47 years of driving. He was unsympathetic to say the least. The worst part about this is the parts are on backorder from Toyota and they don't know when they'll have them. Until then, the lights are on on the dash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Lost parts of car going through a puddle on the freeway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesh
There were two hoses hanging from the car below the drivers seat. It seems there was a plastic canister behind the charcoal filter that recircs tank fumes back to the engine. It must have gotten ripped off when I hit that puddle. The worst part about this is the parts are on backorder from Toyota and they don't know when they'll have them. Until then, the lights are on on the dash.
Point #1..Unless the service dept plugged the line coming from the fuel tank you are taking a chance of having a fire by driving the RAV. Gas fumes are nothing to fool around with and the catylitic converter is just on the opposite side under the passenger seat

Point #2 .. Backlogged parts.. seems to be the norm and takes about three weeks on average to get the part from Japan. Assume the parts guys at your dealership have applied the highest possible priority to the order.

You might call the Toyota Customer Service number (1-800-331-4331 for US and Canada) and explain what happened and you are disappointed in Toyota not being able to supply parts for their products in a timely manner. They may step up and cover the cost of the part for the inconvience they are causing you.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 04:53 PM

Meesh, I appreciate the heads up, thanks!! I just made a simple shield out of 1/8" aluminum scrap that should keep it from happening, the component is really exposed to wash on the underside. The shield mounts under the canister mount using the same bolt.

I guess this is one of the kinds of things we have to endure when buying a new model year, hopefully they'll have a recall and install a shield if it happens enough.

I left the shield unpainted until I took pics..

Tim

#4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Meesh

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Shield

Tim,

Thanks for posting that. Guaranteed Illl be making one of those up when mine gets replaced.

Service manager didn't want to hear that it might be a design flaw.

Thanks
Bob

#5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Hoses ripping off due to driving through a puddle is a defect and should be fixed. I'd go to another dealer.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Tim, Meesh posts an issue and in less than 1-1/2 hours you have a bracket made and installed! Now I see where the "QUICK" comes from.............A.K.A.......MacGyver
#7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 05:29 PM

Thanks, I'd have been done sooner if I didn't have ta mess with the digicam memory card and the gash in my finger from working with the sheet metal!! I figured that if I didn't take pics when doing the install, I'd just have to remove it and take the pics later anyway, you'all would have made me do it!!

One of the advantages of retirement, doing whatcha want, when ya want!! 8)

Tim
#8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 06:01 PM

Your card looks like it has rusted out already!
#9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnyFife
Your car looks like it has rusted out already!
That's just mud stain on the undercoating from offroad trips, it's been hosed off, but I don't feel the need to clean the undercoating more than that. Unlike a lot of other Rav4s, mine's not a street queen, I'm not afraid to utilize it for which it was named and built, to be Recreationally Active!! :P

Tim
#10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo
One of the advantages of retirement, doing whatcha want, when ya want!! Tim
Know the feeling and the feeling is great

Enough all ready

First you suck me into adding the side molding and now I have to become a metal fabricator..

As punishment can you provide any dimensional data?

On second thought...you can start a small business and OEM them to Toyota!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page