Adjusting "Parking brake" and removing center console - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to RAVABOY
(Thread Starter)
Adjusting "Parking brake" and removing center console

Hello to everyone!! hope my post would be very helpful to anybody who likes to work and mod their ravs especially to those who would like to maintain their precious ones,.
First of. since we bought our first suv, i've complained about the parking brake being too weak. my mom drives an 06 corolla ce and i have compared both brakes. At the first scheduled maintenance i told my service advisor about it. after picking it up, he told me that they cannot adjust it and the brakes are new and made up of ceramics and other stuff, you guys know how some service advisor be like if they are too lazy or to busy doing some other repairs other than adjusting brakes, well heck
me too! and after about one year later i decided to adjust it myself since i cannot find any posts here:
its relatively quite simple
First Take out the coin pocket/window adjuster (sorry i dont know the term and i'm calling it by the name of its purpose)
[img][/img]

carefully lift the assembly, notice that wire harness underneath, unplug it
[img]
[/img]

you are going to see underneath the "parking" brake adjustment screws that hold the cable to the lever

[img][/img]

loosen the top nut that locks the bottom adjusting nut then adjust the lower nut to your desired setting, both are 10mm
i've done this while the lever is not engaged and i adjusted it to 5-7 clicks, the stock setting was like beyond 9 and i did not pulled it up further or i may end up with not parking brake at all, believe me i've seen it happen, but not on my rav4 on some friend's car.

now to remove your center console (if you still has the motivation and powa to do so)

First step this is the most critical part of the removal process!

Underneath the center console compartment remove the cover to reveal 2-10 mm nuts that hold the console to the body
[img]
[/img]

then pry the kick panels on the center console
[img]
[/img]

next are the side panels, i found an easy way to do it, grab on the bottom at the end then carefully pull it up, then pull towards the rear(note there are still clips on the front)
[img]

[/img]

next remove the gear selector cover, the ones that has the PRNDL on it, carefully pry it at both sides and lift it up, there would be wire harness underneath carefully unplug it

next remove the black "thing" with the 12v accessory plug (sorry dont know what it is called but hey! thats why we got pictures to look at! grab on top then carefully pull, there will be another harness underneath unplug it duh!!

next is the center console cup holder, it is secured by two screws then pry it upward

then unscrew the console remember the grey sidings that were removed earlier, on the posts will be two screws on both sides

then unplug the harness that goes inside for the aux and that extra 12v accessory plug, also the wire harness is http://rav4world.com/forums/posting.php
RAV4World - :: Post a new topicheld on the side inside the console, pry it out

when lifting or removing the whole console, raise or engage the parking brake.

pics of the center without the console notice the air bag sensor, i removed the 3-12mm nuts that hold it i dont know but i got curious that underneath there may have some rat or cockroach nest hiding that i did not know, now is the best time to detail and clean those hard to reach areas on your console and also on the carpet and some dirt that may have passed through your parking lever cover
as usuall assembly is just the opposite of the removal, just dont forget the screws and nuts of which ones goes where.

hope this post may help others, as like some posts helped me maintain/avoid potential problems that may arise taking care of our precious rides
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RAVABOY For This Useful Post:
pilotguy (03-15-2014), pop joe b (07-06-2012), Tedbird (08-22-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Well, thanks for taking the time to do a write-up with pics. But I, like perhaps many others, rarely use my parking brake with an auto tranny. Even if I did, I wouldn't think that it would get out of adjustment very easily.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
#3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 11:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVABOY
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the reply, but i got accustomed to using my e-brake when i park,
i usually put it on neutral then the parking brake then shift up to Park.
i dont know but i like the extra security in case i parked on an inclined road or drive way. bcoz sometimes i noticed that when i just put the gear selector on park, when parking on an inclined road, but when i get back to the car, i noticed it is hard move the gear selector to drive,
#4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:16 AM

or you could have done the parking brake adjustment the correct way..... in the drum in disc assembly in the rear.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkperceptions
or you could have done the parking brake adjustment the correct way..... in the drum in disc assembly in the rear.
I agree.

The emergency brake shoes are not self adjusting. When the shoes wear and the lever starts to travel too far (too many clicks) it's a sign that you need to adjust the star wheels in back, NOT remove cable slack up front under the console.

Once you readjust the star wheels, your lever travel will be restored to the original setting.

Ravaboy.... if you adjust your brake shoes correctly in back, you will certainly find that the front cable is now too tight, and the brakes will drag as you drive. Then you will have to open up the console and put everything back the way it was before. At least you know how now....

John E Davies
Spokane WA USA
The Following User Says Thank You to John E Davies For This Useful Post:
rickcarol (05-27-2013)
#6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Ravaboy;

As others have said, I'm not sure this is the best way to adjust for slack in the cable, but I really wanted to say what a good job you did in your writeup.

I used to belong to the Escape/Tribute forum where writeups like this were more common, but I rarely see anyone do this on the RAV4 forum.

I may never adjust my brakes in the way you described, but your procedure along with the photos will make it a breeze if I ever want to add a switch for some accessory to the console.

Thanks for your work, and I hope you and others continue to provide these procedures in the future.

Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to Rickl For This Useful Post:
skyscam (02-07-2013)
#7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:57 PM

I hope I didn't come down hard on you... the report was really great and we definitely need more illustrated "How To" posts.... my issue was with the fact that the correct way to adjust the emergency brake is... uhm.... the other way

John E Davies
Spokane WA USA
#8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV4Don
Well, thanks for taking the time to do a write-up with pics. But I, like perhaps many others, rarely use my parking brake with an auto tranny. Even if I did, I wouldn't think that it would get out of adjustment very easily.
That is a really lousy idea (not to use BOTH parking break and the tranny in P). I've seen a couple of cases that the transmission (don't ask how, I do not know) shifted to N (or somehow disengaged) and the car went on rolling...

(in one case, the car went across the street, up the curb, over some grass and then 2 meters downhill and into someone's apartment, quite a sight).

When the firefighters came, the car was locked and the key was not in the ignition. Somehow the car tranny did not keep the car parked.

BTW: there was no significant slope (other than the final 2 m drop), and the car was a honda accord (so, it wasn't some cheap crappy car).
#9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpotoso
That is a really lousy idea (not to use BOTH parking break and the tranny in P).
I wouldn't characterize it as a "lousy idea", perhaps exceptionally common and very typical for those who drive auto tranny vehicles. Frankly, I think it is understandably rare to use the parking brake and mostly unnecessary, except is some special parking situations. When I drive my cars with manuals I use the parking brake.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
#10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkperceptions
+100,000,000 that is the only way a parking brake should be adjusted by adjusting the rear drum shoes.Anything else is just dangerous and a waste of time...The write up you did is great dont get me wrong and I like all the pics you posted but please dont adjust your brakes that way its nothing but trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page