V6 Touchy throttle at takeoff and passing - Page 10 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#91 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When I brother first drove mine he yelled out, "Whoa!" but in a very happy way! I felt the same way on first driving my v6, and I still get that reaction sometimes when I goose it, but I don't mind the power under foot.. you are driving a very light weight vehicle for the HP you have.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
When I brother first drove mine he yelled out, "Whoa!" but in a very happy way! I felt the same way on first driving my v6, and I still get that reaction sometimes when I goose it, but I don't mind the power under foot.. you are driving a very light weight vehicle for the HP you have.
A slightly embarrassed big smile was the reaction my niece's husband had the first time he drove ours. Couldn't have been more perfect!

Fred
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#93 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 PM

Well, this is my first drive-by-wire throttle system so I'm not sure if there is any "lag" to improve upon, other than for people with quicker muscles than mine. The performance settings of the i-throttle can definitely let you produce a throttle signal that will seem to the ECU like someone mashing down harder and faster on the pedal, so it can make the car feel more powerful and maybe even let someone who can't push the pedal fast enough get off the line more quickly.

The ECO settings greatly improve the driveability of the RAV for me. After driving it around in snow and ice for a couple of days, and on the highway for a few hours, I can say it does exactly what it claims. In the max ECO setting the car eases off the line smoothly with no effort to control pedal pressure at all, then as one steps through the settings the throttle curve becomes steeper and the zip off the line returns. Full throttle is still always full. The performance modes make the throttle response more like what I would have preferred 30 years ago.

The unit seems quite well made, and there are a lot of them around in Camrys and Accords, so I am reasonably confident it will not cause catastrophic problems. There is a wire to connect to the brake lamp circuit to shut down the throttle output if something goes awry. I tested my car without that wire connected and with the i-throttle working; if i floor the gas pedal and hit the brake the ECU still cuts off the throttle. I am much more concerned that my weather-tech mats will tear out of the hooks and climb up over the pedal myself.

The control head is compact and will mount almost anywhere. I chose to whittle down the case so it would fit in the coin tray on my car. Setup takes a few seconds and the whole system is plug and play on our cars.

The mode can be changed on the fly or stopped. When the car is shut off it will revert to the normal mode, then return to the last mode used if desired, with a single button push. On the road it alternates display between the mode and the throttle %. All in all I rate it

Attached Images
File Type: jpg i-throttle installed.JPG (147.4 KB, 103 views)

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Last edited by bob-o; 01-20-2013 at 06:19 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob-o For This Useful Post:
pico (01-20-2013), rav4two (01-20-2013)
#94 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

bob-o, that looks like a winner. I'll have to do this mod soon.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

#95 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

I'm thinking I should be able to design a $2 resistor network to do the same thing. A soft tip in would be easy. The only problem is maintaining full throttle at the top end. Maybe powering it from 12V ....?
But in the end I have no motivation. Love it just the way it is.

Fred
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#96 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Or try this mod .. swithing pedals.
Accell pedal question

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "OLIVA - Raise the curtain"
#97 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
I'm thinking I should be able to design a $2 resistor network to do the same thing..
The sensor output voltage ranges from 1.1 to 3v and is referenced to ground. That means it is definitely a Hall effect sensor. If you can come up with a resistive voltage divider that will turn a linear voltage into a non-linear one, while preserving the full scale voltage, I would be very interested to see this new variation of Ohm's law.

You could create the non-linear function with an op amp or two, but with resistors, no.

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

#98 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 02:43 PM

i-throttle manual

the attached files are scans of the "manual" I received with my unit. On the box there are incorrect throttle response curves for the economy settings that show straight lines with lower endpoints limiting the maximum throttle value to as low as 40% of full scale. I don't know if there was a previous version that behaved that way, but I doubt it.

The graphs here are the right ones. In max ECO mode you can still get to 100% throttle but you have to really mash the pedal down. In max performance mode it makes my Limited feel like a rocket powered sofa.

I bet in that mode it sucks fuel like one, too.

i-throttle pg1.pdf

i-throttle pg2.pdf

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

#99 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

That throttle characteristic graph on page 1 is the key. On my Corvette, the default operating mode is like EC5. Something like that would help the creeping around the parking lot mode, and actually makes driving in the 10-30 MPH range much easier.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

#100 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
The sensor output voltage ranges from 1.1 to 3v and is referenced to ground. That means it is definitely a Hall effect sensor. If you can come up with a resistive voltage divider that will turn a linear voltage into a non-linear one, while preserving the full scale voltage, I would be very interested to see this new variation of Ohm's law.

You could create the non-linear function with an op amp or two, but with resistors, no.
I'm thinking referencing the network to 5V might work but there's no point anyway when better plug & play solutions are available economically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page