Check engine, VSC, 4WD light on - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Check engine, VSC, 4WD light on

I took my new(as of April 2008) Rav4 Sport into the local dealer for the 15,000 mile checkup. According to the toyota manual its an oil change, tire rotation and retorque the 4WD screw. I picked it up from the dealer, drove it about 65 miles back home and let it sit in the driveway for a day. When I got in it this morning,
the Check engine light, the VSC, and 4WD light came on(solid). I loosened and retightened the gas cap, no change. I saw a previous post about a mouse nest in the engine, but I live in NY and its been mid 30-40's the last few days. Not really
mouse weather. I plan on taking it to a dealer ASAP tomorrow, but any light anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

They probably knocked loose a vacuum hose on the intake tract somewhere when checking or replacing the air filter. Every idiot oil change shop I take our Highlander to manages to knock this hose loose, even Toyota dealerships. It gives some EVAP check engine light code, but then it also disables VSC & TRAC (& 4WD I guess on the RAV) since that stuff could stall the engine if it's not running light. I have an OBD-2 scanner and just reset the code myself and fix the vacuum hose on our Highlander, although I think the RAV is running a CAN bus system now so if I get a code on the RAV I'll be outta luck unless I buy some new gear (or take it in)

Steve
12 BMW X5d (on order)
11 BMW 335cic
02 Highlander Ltd V6 AWD
07 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD (SOLD!)
99 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd (Sold)
01 Honda Accord EX V6 (rip)
#3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:42 PM

(Thread Starter)
steVTEC,

Thanks for the insight. I called a dealer in another state, and the service guy suggested it might be the air filter hose not being connected. I checked and the
hose seemed to be on ok, and the box lid was tight. Its entirely possible I might be looking at the wrong thing, but I checked anyway. Is the intake hose something I could reach from the top of the engine or something I'd need to look at from the bottom?

Thanks again!
#4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 PM

(Thread Starter)
So I went to the dealer today, the same dealer where I brought my car
for the 15,000 mile maintenance checkup. They took it in, and came back
with a diagnosis of a "damaged charcoal filter". They also came back with
a repair cost of $994.00! I explained to them that the car was in perfect working order when I brought it in and I don't live on the side of a mountain, so there was
no way I could have damaged that filter merely driving home. To make a long
story short, the dealer, out of the kindness of their pocket, decided to replace the
filter at no cost to me. As I was checking out, I asked where the filter was located
and was told its between the drivers side front tire and rear...and it's PROTECTED
by a metal cage!!! When I got home I looked underneath the car and saw that they replaced the filter and the metal cage protecting the filter. So I believe that when they went to put the car on the lift, some clown wasn't paying attention and
mushed my filter. Just an FYI for everyone. I'm bitter, very bitter, but happy to have my car back and working!
#5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

ah yes, the good ol cannister charcoal filter. I retrofitted a very nicely designed metal shield piece by mcvite70 here to protect mine. 07's and earlier didn't have this and a lot of people had issues just from standard road water spray hitting the thing. Somebody did probably bang the thing, but it's definitely not a good idea to top off the tank on this car. Apparently that can cause it to fail too.

Steve
12 BMW X5d (on order)
11 BMW 335cic
02 Highlander Ltd V6 AWD
07 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD (SOLD!)
99 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd (Sold)
01 Honda Accord EX V6 (rip)
#6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 07:46 PM
linuxos77

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Funny I came across this.... My '06 RAV (32k miles) just had this issue. Check Engine - VSC - 4WD lights came on. Brought it to dealer and they said it needed a new charcoal filter and some vacuum something or other.... They blamed operator/owner error, they said we must be pulling the the gas nossil out too quickly when pumping gas. This I guess causes gas to leak down some tube and ruin the filter and vacuum thingy...

Tech said since Toyota cannot prove its owner error they will fix under warranty. I'm far from being an expert (can't you tell from my awesome wording in this post), but this sounds like TERRIBLE design to me. I never attempt to overfill my tank, but to wait 10 seconds AFTER pumping to pull the nossil, never heard of that. Now it was me worried, this would have been a $600 job if not under warranty. Does the above diagnositc sound correct??

#7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 03:20 PM

I am having this problem now with 38K miles. Parts and labor is $2,000. I asked why so much, he stated they also need to reprogram the ECU. Anyone else having to pay this much?
#8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sko580
I am having this problem now with 38K miles. Parts and labor is $2,000. I asked why so much, he stated they also need to reprogram the ECU. Anyone else having to pay this much?

That seems crazy. When I had this issue (the first time) I first noticed the issue when trying to merge onto the highway. While merging onto the highway I lost all power for about 10 seconds and the VSC, Check Engine, 4wd lights were all lit solid. I regained power and carried on. All lights remained lit till I took it into the dealer the next day. They called me and told me that a sensor needed to be replaced (Mass Air Flow Sensor). They replaced the sensor and all was well.

I had those same lights come on again a few months later and took it back. The dealer replaced the sensor again stating that the sensor was soaked in water. I think that the original tech was a bone head and didn't re-install correctly and left the sensor in a place where it was exposed to water.

regardless... I think you may be getting hosed
#9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 03:39 PM

I didn't have any acceleration issues or stalls from the RAV4. But I have returned from Toyota Service and this is what the report states:

Error Code: P2401, P2402, and P2419

Replaced: Charcoal Cannister, filter and clip. Reprogrammed ECU as per TSB.

I spoke with the tech who serviced my car. He stated this is a common problem. It was common enough that Toyota made a shield for it, which was added to my car after the charcoal cannister replacement to prevent further damage.

As far he could tell, the pump attached to the charcoal cannister went bad. He doesn't know if the motor went bad or whether a loose particle from the filter got stuck in it. He also states they don't provide a replacement for the motor only, it comes as a whole set.

So that's my experience. I hope many will not have this experience.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 01:56 AM

I now have this problem with my 08 V6 Limited. Check engine light on, VSC & 4wd now disabled. Dealer tells me it is the canister, and they want over $1k to replace. Also tells me were unable to reset it, so now Im driving without 4wd capablility and VSC. Only 42000km on this turd. The 3yr comprehensive warranty expired x 2months ago. I bought this thing last month.

The canister on my G/Fs 06 Matrix went at 50,000km to the tune of $800.

Going to phone Toyota Canada and ask them specifically how long these things are supposed to last. Of course my question is rhetorical - they last just long enough to see the warranty expire

I'm getting this thing fixed, then sold, and then buying anything other than this grossly overrated company can make
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page