Which brand of coolant do you use? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which brand of coolant do you use?

It appears that my Rav4 is running a bit low in coolant. The coolant level is currently about 1/2 of an inch below the LOW mark (assuming that mark is the line above the word LOW) when the engine is cold, and at the LOW mark when the engine is at normal temperature. So, do I have to purchase this "Toyota Super Long Life Coolant" from Toyota or can I just use some aftermarket coolant in my car?

BTW, what is the proper level to fill the coolant up to? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

A Toyota qualified mechanic gave me this tip. Depending where your from in the USA. Temperature is different (Example,Alaska, Florida, Souther California etc) . So, if you have the red coolant, use the Texaco 50/50 coolant. Chances are it is. If it's green use the Preston ready to use. NEVER use water alone. Your water pump will let you know if you are using water. Mine is a 1997 and I never have had to change the Water Pump. I've hard a lot of horror stories on this forum regarding this situation. So, be safe, and keep it cheap. Use quality anti-freeze.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 02:22 AM

Re: Which brand of coolant do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dong
It appears that my Rav4 is running a bit low in coolant. The coolant level is currently about 1/2 of an inch below the LOW mark (assuming that mark is the line above the word LOW) when the engine is cold, and at the LOW mark when the engine is at normal temperature. So, do I have to purchase this "Toyota Super Long Life Coolant" from Toyota or can I just use some aftermarket coolant in my car?

BTW, what is the proper level to fill the coolant up to? Thanks
I don't know much about coolant but as I understand it, you have to buy a compatible fluid. To avoid confusion, I'd just buy it from the dealer. It's expensive but it's a one time fee if you just need to top off once in awhile.

Mix it 50:50 with distilled water and on a cold engine, fill it to the max line. As long as its between max and min on a cold engine you should be fine.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

to evade all the hassle regarding mixing. Just buy the pre-mixed in and Texaco or Pep Boy. In my book, more or less won't cut it. Right on is ...well, right on.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

You don't need the pricey Toyota brand coolant. Just go any car parts store or Wal-mart to get a jug of compatible fluid to top it off.

BTW, the green stuff hasn't been installed by any oem in years. It works just fine but is not compatible with your fluid.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
#6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:19 PM

I had the same issue as you just recently. Apparently Toyota vehicles from MY2006 onward use the Super Long Life Toyota Coolant (pink) as opposed to the regular Long Life (red). I picked up a jug (3.78L) of the premix 50/50 SLLC for around $20 from the dealer and added until the reservoir level was between the low and full marks (engine cold). The aftermarket stuff might be slightly cheaper but I was confused at all the different brands, colors and varieties, so decided to play it safe.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:29 PM

Does any of you has tow prep upgrade (upgraded radiator / alternator)?
I have a theory related to this issue, and I think it's a design oversight. If you remember there were some reports about antifreeze smell. I think that RAV4 with and without tow upgrade share the same expansion tank for the antifreeze and for the cars with tow upgrade that tank is smaller then needed and antifreeze has to go on the overflow valve in order not to go overpressurize the system. Once the liquid cools it goes under the low level mark in the long term, so don't expect to see this in a fee trips.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:50 PM

That's one thing I missed! Is the OEM pink or red? I have heard that stuff is terrible and eats gaskets etc!

Don't know what color mine is but am a Prestone man! Will replace it with Prestone as soon as I hear from you guys!

Thanks!

Hunter
#9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

If you can, get the Toyota long life coolant from the dealer. If not, get the Prestone yellow all makes all models stuff. I've been using the yellow stuff for a while with no problems. Just don't use the old school green coolant, it's made for iron blocks/radiators and the Rav4's have aluminum blocks/radiators.

The pink coolant is just a 50/50 premix of the red coolant, IIRC.

2010 Green Tacoma DC V6 4WD 6-SPD TRD Off-Road
Former 2001 Black Rav4 4WD w/ 5-speed manual, 172+ miles
#10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
If you can, get the Toyota long life coolant from the dealer. If not, get the Prestone yellow all makes all models stuff. I've been using the yellow stuff for a while with no problems. Just don't use the old school green coolant, it's made for iron blocks/radiators and the Rav4's have aluminum blocks/radiators.

The pink coolant is just a 50/50 premix of the red coolant, IIRC.
Generally speaking your info is correct, but I just wanted to say that the green coolant works perfectly fine in any engine, it simply looses it valuable properties sooner than the pink stuff. It works fine with alum or iron blocks and heads, as well as with cooper or alum core radiators.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page