Losing antifreeze - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I took mine to the dealer and of course no leak found. They filled it to the optimal level and told me to come back in two weeks. That appointment is tomorrow (though will be changed to Wednesday if we get the snow they are calling for overnight tonight). I checked the level on Friday - it's exactly where they filled it to after 10 days. So whatever was making it "disappear" has mysteriously been fixed. Could something like not putting the cap on tight enough cause it to evaporate like water? That's the only thing I could come up with unless they tightened something somewhere else.

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:35 PM

Get a used oil analysis done. It's easy and costs $22.50. They will be able to tell if there is coolant in the oil (blown head gasket or warped heads). Here's a link to order a free kit:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Also, has anyone taken the skid plate off to see if there is any evidence of coolant pooling there. The engine and radiator should be running with the car on a lift (no skid plate) to see if it is leaking anywhere too. Sometimes the source of the leak can be very obscured/hidden.
#23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 05:22 PM

coolant

Thanks for the info everyone. I have less than 10,000 miles and am also loosing coolant. I'll order a used oil analysis to confirm. I hope it's not in there, but I do notice a slightly white tinge in my exhaust..
#24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:21 AM
veronica

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Hi Everyone,
I had my short block replaced in 11/07 because Of Midas negligence. I was driving on the NJ turnpike & my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree! One minute later the Rav 4 died. Then 2 months ago this leaking started. I was so nervous thinking it was going to be "head gasket" damage or some other night mare. I took my Rav 4 2006 into Dayton NJ dealership & the mechanic showed me that there is a hose that came lose. It had a pink color fluid around the hose. (I thought antifreeze was yellowish in color) Do you think he told me the truth or should I get it checked by another mechanic.

#25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 AM

There are two Toyota label antifreeze/coolants. One is pink (90K miles), and the other is red (30K miles). I don't know what year you have, so it could be either. The newer RAV's have the pink.
#26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 AM
veronica

I have 2006 Rav 4 Limited. But when the antifreeze is put in, its yellowish in color, not pink? I'm a typical woman when it comes to cars LOL

#27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM

If it is yellow, it is the wrong coolant and may damage the seals and gaskets in your system. Take it to a dealer to get it flushed. I hope it wasn't orange DEXCOOL coolant they put in there.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...cation_id=2877
#28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 06:08 PM
veronica

THanks for all your help!

#29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:07 PM

Nismopowered is right on with the "invisible" leak analysis. Since day one, I have had the smell of coolant in the air after parking my July '06 RAV (V6) in the garage after driving - I never found a leak, nor could I see one. Slowly, over a time frame of about a year and a half, the coolant level ever so slowly dropped down to the LOW mark WHEN WARM. Obviously, it would be below LOW when cold. All the dealer did was to add a small amount of coolant to bring to the proper level.

At just over the two year point, a different dealer (second) pressure checked the coolant system both when bone cold and when warm. Pressure check was perfect - no leaks were observed and the system did not lose any pressure. At this point the "consumption" of the coolant had increased, and the smell was still there after running the car, especially after highway speeds. Yes, the dealer had even asked me if it wasn't a sulfur smell instead of a coolant smell. Of course, big difference and I said "no way". However, I still didn't have any proof! Until......

Last month! Washed the car, and voila! While wiping down underneath the hood, I saw spray marks (individual spray droplet marks), pink in color on the right side of the firewall and (above) the underside of the hood. Of course, what could be doing that? The water pump (seal). I looked below the top right side engine mount (which appears to surround the top of the water pump) and saw a small area stained pink on a mounting bolt head. I hadn't been able to see any such staining before in this area; I believe that the leak rate had been so small that it instantly vaporized the coolant without a trace.

I took it to a different dealer (third) and they confirmed that it is the pump - didn't "need" them to confirm this really, but it is now official. Covered under the 5 year/60k part of the warranty. Further, the mechanic said that a different mechanic team there had just replaced a water pump on another RAV V6 with the identical problem. Also at this time the level when WARM was well below the LOW letters, so the loss rate has definitely increased. Dealer topped it off for me.

The dealer has ordered the pump (backordered, with no estimate of delivery) and also informe me that they have to pull the engine to make the swap. I will clarify this BEFORE work is started because to me it looks as if they simply support the engine (above/below), then they can remove the top right engine mount and IMO have access to the water pump. Have to wait for that.

Hope this helps those having the same issue, but maybe driving a newer vehicle. Mine has 37.5k on it to date. I still love the thing - best vehicle I have owned....did like my '98 Regal immensely, but I digress.
#30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpadget
Nismopowered is right on with the "invisible

Mine has 37.5k on it to date. I still love the thing - best vehicle I have owned....did like my '98 Regal immensely, but I digress.
Please update your profile, so that we know what you drive, and where you live.
Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page